Old 14-01-2004, 04:07 PM
White Monkey

Default My new orchids!

Hi folks,

I just found out I have been accepted for Dutch citizenship. To celebrate,
although being one of low budget, I headed for the floating flower market,
the nearest location of anyone specializing in orchids at all. I have picked
up a paph that was only labeled "USA hybrid" but is absolutely gorgeous, for
about $20 (one flower, two "new plants" starting) and my first orchid that I
actually know kind-of-fully what it is--an Oncidium Sharry Baby, nearly done
blooming, but does still smell like chocolate and was about $10. Purple.

They didn't have one I craved last month but had no excuse to afford; it was
some sort of very miniature oncidium with spray after spray of coral and
salmon flowers, the whole plant about 6 cm. tall. I wonder what it was.

Do these sound like good deals (like I care--I just like the plants)? Also,
about how long is it between flowerings on these fellows, generally
speaking?

Thanks,

Katrina

---

Old 14-01-2004, 04:34 PM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 15:47:56 GMT, "White Monkey"
wrote:

Hi folks,

I have picked
up a paph that was only labeled "USA hybrid" but is absolutely gorgeous, for
about $20 (one flower, two "new plants" starting) and my first orchid that I
actually know kind-of-fully what it is--an Oncidium Sharry Baby, nearly done
blooming, but does still smell like chocolate and was about $10. Purple.

The Paph should bloom on each new growth. But, that means one
bloom cycle a year.

Onc. Sharry Baby can bloom more often. If it gets enough light,
it will grow new pbulbs any time of the year and bloom on every
new growth. So with good light you should get at least 2 bloom
sprays a year.

Do these sound like good deals (like I care--I just like the plants)? Also,
about how long is it between flowerings on these fellows, generally
speaking?

Thanks,

Katrina

Congratulations on your Citizenship. You celebrated well.
Those plants should be fun.
SuE

Old 15-01-2004, 04:02 AM
J Fortuna

Congratulations Katrina! I too am in the process of changing citizenships
(my US citizenship ceremony is tomorrow). Hmm, should I too buy another
orchid to celebrate? Thanks for the idea.

Joanna

Old 15-01-2004, 06:03 AM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 03:59:07 GMT, "J Fortuna"
wrote:

Congratulations Katrina! I too am in the process of changing citizenships
(my US citizenship ceremony is tomorrow). Hmm, should I too buy another
orchid to celebrate? Thanks for the idea.

Joanna

Joanna -
Congratulations to you too. It is hard work changing
citizenships and learning a different country's ways. No matter
where we come from, the next town or city has a different
version. I can only imagine how many differences you both have
found in your new countries. May you both find joy in these new
alliances and of course Many blooming Orchids.
SuE

Old 15-01-2004, 06:04 AM
tbell

Absolutely, though two or three might be more appropriate.
Welcome; the U.S. could certainly use as many folks of the orchid
persuasion as possible!
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA, USA
(To reply by e-mail, remove APPENDIX)

Old 15-01-2004, 10:32 AM
White Monkey

"K Barrett" wrote in message
The oncidium could have been Onc Twinkle.

Thanks; I don't think I have any real reason to suspect the label, though.
--Katrina

---

Old 15-01-2004, 10:32 AM
White Monkey

The Paph should bloom on each new growth. But, that means one
bloom cycle a year.

Onc. Sharry Baby can bloom more often. If it gets enough light,
it will grow new pbulbs any time of the year and bloom on every
new growth. So with good light you should get at least 2 bloom
sprays a year.
Congratulations on your Citizenship. You celebrated well.
Those plants should be fun.
SuE

Thank you!
--Katrina

---

Old 15-01-2004, 10:33 AM
White Monkey

Hi Katrina, The tiny Oncidium you describe is either Howeara Lava
Burst or Oncidium Twinkle. Hope this helps, Bill

Hi. Thanks. The label says "sharry baby" and picture of a sharry baby
online looks like this one does... why do folks here think it's not, and
must be one of these others? What don't I know about it that would have
helped me disbelieve the label?
Thanks,
Katrina

---

Old 15-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

I think they mean the miniature oncidium you mentioned in your first post.
Cheers
Peter

"White Monkey" schreef in bericht

Old 15-01-2004, 02:42 PM
White Monkey

I think they mean the miniature oncidium you mentioned in your first post.
Cheers
Peter

I feel really dumb. Of course they do. Sorry, folks! I won't check the group
before coffee anymore. And thanks!
--K

---

Old 15-01-2004, 05:37 PM
K Barrett

No, sorry, either I misunderstood you, or you misunderstood me. *G*!

I thought you said you had lusted after a small pink multi flowered Onc that
was no longer available when you went back to the store! I said that one
might have been Twinkle. In case you wanted to look further at different
stores.

I didn't mean your Sharry Baby was mis-labeled

K Barrett