Old 27-01-2004, 01:12 AM
J Fortuna

Default rgo history?

Having just accidentally made a fool of myself by not realizing that Rob
Halgren has been part of rgo since the very beginning of its history (see
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...u.edu&rnum=183),
I thought that maybe it is time for a humble request:

Could those of you, who have been around rgo for a while, please share with
those of us, who like me know very little about its history, something about
how rgo was started, who has been around for like forever, who isn't around
anymore but you wish they were + any stories that are especially memorable
from rgo history, anything you would advise us to look for in the archives
perhaps? For example: I once spent an entire evening ROFL while reading a
selection of the threads that Mick Fournier has been involved in over time.

Thanks -- and sorry to be too ignorant and too talkative at times

Joanna

Old 27-01-2004, 06:57 PM
Rob Halgren

J Fortuna wrote:

Having just accidentally made a fool of myself by not realizing that Rob
Halgren has been part of rgo since the very beginning of its history (see
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...u.edu&rnum=183),
I thought that maybe it is time for a humble request:

I wasn't offended...

Could those of you, who have been around rgo for a while, please share with
those of us, who like me know very little about its history, something about
how rgo was started, who has been around for like forever, who isn't around
anymore but you wish they were + any stories that are especially memorable
from rgo history, anything you would advise us to look for in the archives
perhaps? For example: I once spent an entire evening ROFL while reading a
selection of the threads that Mick Fournier has been involved in over time.

Aren't many 'old timers' still posting. Aaron Hicks posts
sometimes. And a few more. It is difficult to maintain the energy to
do it for several years. I took a year or two mostly off too. I think
a lot of old timers still read the group, just don't post much. My
distant memory seems to recall that we (Rod Venger was the driving
force, who has since gone on to other things) started out as a
subculture on the rec.gardens group. Back in the good old days (before
AOL got usenet, and before them it was some other band of internet
barbarians... *grin*) a newsgroup was a great way, and perhaps the only
way, to communicate and ask questions over the net. Now we have
web-logs, wiki-wiki pages, orchid web forums, and the whole bit. I only
ever read this newsgroup, sorry. As an aside, I was one of the first
people to have a web page devoted to orchids
(http://www.msu.edu/~halgren). I confess it hasn't changed much since I
created it, back when you had to install your web browser in several
parts and figure out what a 'winsock' was.

The flame war between Mick and Rod was memorable. I don't know that
it was pleasant... Some topics come up over and over again (where do I
cut my Phal spike is a good one). The influxes of 'newbies' when
various dialup services went on line was kind of fun. Before that,
everybody on the usenet was either a college student or had access to a
university network, some military folks, and the hard core tech people
(hackers and legitimately employed, both). I wish I could remember the
name of the first horde... It was a bit of a shock to our culture.
Everybody knew the rules of internet politeness (or was soon hammered
down - that was always fun), even if they didn't always abide by them.
It was pretty anarchic, and you actually needed to know something to be
there. The hordes changed that, but I think now (in the last couple of
years) things have reached a pretty good equilibrium.

Thanks -- and sorry to be too ignorant and too talkative at times

No such thing as either, as long as you ask questions you will learn
stuff. It is only people that ask questions and then don't learn from
them that get under my skin...

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 27-01-2004, 07:12 PM
Ray

I may not have been one of the r.g.o originators, but came in pretty early!

Before this forum and rec.gardens, I spent many years cruising the gardening
forum on CompuServe, and was the person who scanned the AOS Culture Sheets
(at their request), making them available electronically for the first time.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 27-01-2004, 09:38 PM
Diana Kulaga

Been here for three years I think, minus a brief hiaitus. This and abpo are
the only ones I have time for. And in truth, I ought to be potting up a Dend
keiki right now.......S

Diana

Old 27-01-2004, 11:35 PM
J Fortuna

Rob,
I am glad you did not mind, and thank you for the additional background info
on rgo.
Joanna

"Rob Halgren" wrote in message
I wasn't offended...

[snip]

Old 27-01-2004, 11:36 PM
Myrmecodia

"J Fortuna" wrote in message ...

Could those of you, who have been around rgo for a while, please share with
those of us, who like me know very little about its history

The following google link may be of interest You will probably have
to cut and paste if it wraps over several lines.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ro....uu.net&rnum=2

or try

http://tinyurl.com/yswpe

It details the results of the call for votes that created
rec.gardens.orchids.

Robert Hill was the guy who originally proposed r.g.o. Here is one of
his first posts to rgo:
http://tinyurl.com/34vka

Regards,
Nick (who shudders to see his earliest usenet posts immortalized by
Google)
Old 28-01-2004, 12:32 AM
Mick Fournier

Joanna,

Does ROFL mean "rolling on the floor laughing"?... I hope so. I am not too
"hip" with the new abbreviated/acronym-ized English language of today
spawned by high-speed cellphone-texting/IM usage. For years I used to think
LOL was "Lots of Love". If you were reading my old RGO stuff then I would
assume (hope) you were laughing... were you also on the floor? And,
rolling? Then that's ROFL I would guess.

I am hoping some enterprising movie producer will one day take the RGO
historical record and turn it into a movie. I would then write to Keanu
Reeves and ask (ie beg) him to play my character.

As Rob has pointed out, I once was indeed a flame fighter... and I did
subscribe wholeheartedly to the scorched earth approach during the
confrontation. Ah, as I reminiscence this evening I recall the one ugly
word that propelled me into that heated life way, way back then... it was
the word "Duh".

And tis true, I came to love the smell of napalm in the morning (after a
good killing the night before) more than the perfect fragrance of a night
time Neofinetia falcata or a ghost orchid at 2 PM. But, I have changed over
the last two years. I may love the smell of new car leather more now.

And so as you (and others) will say, that is all history now. RGO is a
well-oiled level playing field today free of demigods and very uniformly
"give and take" with the wonderful inherited wisdom of orchid growing. Plus
I would venture to say that RGO might be one of the top ten most
civilized/enjoyable newsgroups on the Usenet today.

Mick

========================

Old 28-01-2004, 01:02 AM
Pat Brennan

The group may have just started in 6/94, but 12/94 when I first tuned in it
was going full blast and Rod already had a large group of fans and
adversaries.

Regards,
Nick (who shudders to see his earliest usenet posts immortalized by
Google)

There used to be some way to prevent Dejanews from recording your posts, I
have no idea what it was or if it works today with Google.

Pat

"Myrmecodia" wrote in message
om...

Old 28-01-2004, 01:06 AM
J Fortuna

Mick,

That was my assumption of the definition of ROFL as well, that's what I
meant. However, I am also not too hip on these terms most of the time, so I
wouldn't be surprised if it means something completely different,
unintended.

Yes, I was laughing. Not that I condone flame wars mind you. I don't. And I
am glad you have changed :-) ... though some of those old posts had a nice
dark sense of humor that appeals to me when I am in a certain mood -- or
maybe those posts appealed to my "doppelganger" (evil twin / spirit self) as
discussed/defined by Al and others in a tangent on ABPO a while ago.

Joanna

"Mick Fournier" wrote in message
. ..
[snip]
Does ROFL mean "rolling on the floor laughing"?... I hope so. I am not

too
"hip" with the new abbreviated/acronym-ized English language of today
spawned by high-speed cellphone-texting/IM usage. For years I used to

think
LOL was "Lots of Love". If you were reading my old RGO stuff then I

would
assume (hope) you were laughing... were you also on the floor? And,
rolling? Then that's ROFL I would guess.

[snip]

rgo history? a list of names and dates Al Orchids 25 06-02-2004 06:20 AM
rgo history? 10 years! Rob Halgren Orchids 8 27-01-2004 10:47 PM
RGO going down the drain? Reka Orchids 46 18-01-2004 08:12 AM
RGO going down the drain? Reka Orchids 1 06-01-2004 05:47 PM
RGO going down the drain? Reka Orchids 3 06-01-2004 05:45 PM