Old 28-01-2004, 03:06 AM
Chris Ridge

Default rgo history?

Now we have
web-logs, wiki-wiki pages, orchid web forums, and the whole bit.

Rob,

What on earth is a wiki-wiki page?

Old 28-01-2004, 04:34 AM
K Barrett

One of the people I miss is Jeff Kirby who was doing plant physiology at UC
Davis and hating Davis with a passion. Got his degree and moved back east
somewhere. (anywhere east of the Sierras is 'back east' to us Californians.)
I often wonder whatever happened to him.

K Barrett

Old 28-01-2004, 04:34 AM
Mick Fournier

Sue,

The move of the flasking lab is going fairly well. My new flask room has
great southern exposure and the bottles will no longer suffer (for full
spectrum light) under fluorescent bulbs. A great many of the blue species
cattleyas have progressed well over the last 6 months and I will be
featuring them in the catalog once I re-open the website in early to mid
February. Moving 5100 flasks has been an extremely difficult task...
surprisingly only one bottle got broken in transit. I find that loss of
only one flask to be an amazing stroke of good luck.

The HBI photos are still viewable using the backdoor:
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...ks/hbipix.html

Mick
HBI, Producers of Fine Orchids in Flask
www.OrchidFlask.com
==========================

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:31:12 -0500, "Mick Fournier"
wrote:
And so as you (and others) will say, that is all history now. RGO is a
well-oiled level playing field today free of demigods and very uniformly
"give and take" with the wonderful inherited wisdom of orchid growing.

Plus
I would venture to say that RGO might be one of the top ten most
civilized/enjoyable newsgroups on the Usenet today.

Mick

Mick -
I was hoping that seeing you on meant your site was back up. How
is the move going? When can we enjoy you photo gallery again?
SuE

Old 28-01-2004, 04:34 AM
Mick Fournier

Matt,

I was thinking Quentin Tarantino and something along the lines of Reservoir
Dogs... and Uma Thurman as Good Denise. Bad Denise would be Halle Berry.

Mick

Old 28-01-2004, 04:35 AM
tennis maynard

Mick Fournier wrote:

I am hoping some enterprising movie producer will one day take the RGO
historical record and turn it into a movie. I would then write to Keanu
Reeves and ask (ie beg) him to play my character.

civilized/enjoyable newsgroups on the Usenet today.

Mick

Unfortunately, Vincent Price, the perfect person to portray me, has
passed on.

Old 28-01-2004, 04:42 AM
Mick Fournier

Tennis,

Hmmm, that is a pity. Is there no stunt double we could ask to fill in for
Vincent Price?

Mick

Old 28-01-2004, 01:04 PM
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:14:35 -0500, "Mick Fournier"
wrote:

Sue,

The move of the flasking lab is going fairly well. My new flask room has
great southern exposure and the bottles will no longer suffer (for full
spectrum light) under fluorescent bulbs. A great many of the blue species
cattleyas have progressed well over the last 6 months and I will be
featuring them in the catalog once I re-open the website in early to mid
February. Moving 5100 flasks has been an extremely difficult task...
surprisingly only one bottle got broken in transit. I find that loss of
only one flask to be an amazing stroke of good luck.

The HBI photos are still viewable using the backdoor:
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...ks/hbipix.html

Mick
HBI, Producers of Fine Orchids in Flask
www.OrchidFlask.com
==========================

Congratulations. One flask, while a great loss, is less than
could have been predicted. I am glad to hear the move is going
well.

Thank you for the back door. I enjoy your Neofinetia falcata
crosses. Is there a reason that you have hesitated to name such
a lovely flower as you have with Neofinetia falcata "Icy Fingers"
AM/AOS x V. Sally Roth? It looks so substantial for a Neofinetia
cross.
SuE
Old 28-01-2004, 01:34 PM
Mick Fournier

Sue,

I hate using two negatives in the same sentence, but I find I can not
construct the following sentence without them.

I don't have a reason for not naming Neofinetia falcata "Icy Fingers" AM/AOS
x V Sally Roth.

Mick

Old 28-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Rob Halgren

Mick Fournier wrote:

And so as you (and others) will say, that is all history now. RGO is a
well-oiled level playing field today free of demigods and very uniformly
"give and take" with the wonderful inherited wisdom of orchid growing. Plus

I cannot express the images that went through my mind with the
phrase 'well-oiled level playing field'. *grin* Perhaps I need a
shower. I agree that this is a pretty darned civilized newsgroup.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
Old 28-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Rob Halgren

Chris Ridge wrote:

Now we have
web-logs, wiki-wiki pages, orchid web forums, and the whole bit.

Rob,

What on earth is a wiki-wiki page?

Maybe that technology has been replaced now too. A PHP thing. I
haven't had time to play with it, and maybe I missed the boat...

http://phpwiki.sourceforge.net/

Old 28-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Aaron Hicks

Rob spaketh thusly:

Aren't many 'old timers' still posting. Aaron Hicks posts
sometimes. And a few more.

I don't remember precisely when I joined, but I know it was in
1994.

Usenet as a whole has had its ups and downs. It's still a good way
to communicate without taking up a lot of bandwidth. It has been said that
Usenet is the greatest accumulation of wisdom ever created, but then again
there are people who probably say that about the tabloids.

Don't reply to the address in the header. Spam trap.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

Old 28-01-2004, 10:13 PM
Mick Fournier

Rob,

Ah yes... now I also see the well-oiled playing field. Reminds me of my
college days and a couple of frat parties we threw.

Mick

rgo history? a list of names and dates Al Orchids 25 06-02-2004 06:20 AM
rgo history? 10 years! Rob Halgren Orchids 8 27-01-2004 10:47 PM
RGO going down the drain? Reka Orchids 46 18-01-2004 08:12 AM
RGO going down the drain? Reka Orchids 1 06-01-2004 05:47 PM
RGO going down the drain? Reka Orchids 3 06-01-2004 05:45 PM