Old 09-03-2004, 04:32 AM
John DeGood

Default Philadelphia Flower Show "Destination Paradise"

I haven't seen any posts about the Philadelphia Flower Show, which is in
progress from March 7-14 at the Philadelphia Convention Center.

http://www.theflowershow.com/

The central feature exhibit "Destination Paradise" of the show this year
consists of "the largest individual display of specimen orchid plants
ever seen in North America" with orchid blooms estimated in excess of
100,000. I visited the show yesterday and words cannot begin to
describe the exhibit. The beautiful presentation of hundreds and
hundreds of huge specimen plants in bloom was one of the most amazing
things I've ever seen.

Kudos to Walter Off of Waldor Orchids who chaired the exhibit. I highly
recommend that orchid lovers in the Northeast region not miss the
opportunity to see this incredible display.

John
Old 09-03-2004, 11:02 AM
Ray

Thanks for the review. I'm planning on checking it out Thursday.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 10-03-2004, 12:46 AM
Matthew Donadio

"John DeGood" wrote in message
Kudos to Walter Off of Waldor Orchids who chaired the exhibit. I highly
recommend that orchid lovers in the Northeast region not miss the
opportunity to see this incredible display.

Ditto. I was there this weekend, and was pretty amazed.

I just wish I had some more money for plants. I only bought a Dracula and a
Platystellis, and am regretting not getting a few more.

--Matt

Old 10-03-2004, 10:35 AM
Ray

One of the issues I have with the flower show is the exorbitant prices the
vendors charge. I know that the cost of a booth is outrageous, and I
understand the need to make a profit, but WOW!!!

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 11-03-2004, 02:06 AM
Matthew Donadio

"Ray" wrote in message
One of the issues I have with the flower show is the exorbitant prices the
vendors charge. I know that the cost of a booth is outrageous, and I
understand the need to make a profit, but WOW!!!

Yeah, that is true. I bought my plants from Parkside, and have bought a lot
from them since they are in driving distance. I think I paid their normal
price, but both were on the smaller side, and coming out of bloom.

--Matt

Old 11-03-2004, 04:33 AM
John DeGood

Ray wrote:
One of the issues I have with the flower show is the exorbitant prices the
vendors charge. I know that the cost of a booth is outrageous, and I
understand the need to make a profit, but WOW!!!

The Convention Center is an expensive venue. Show ticket prices are
also steep -- $26 at the door last Sunday, or $20 in advance. It does
benefit a good cause: show proceeds help fund the Philadelphia Green
program.

I purchased from one show vendor -- Dragon Agro Products of Kendall
Park, NJ -- that had orchids for reasonable prices, e.g. a variety of
"near blooming size" (i.e. small) :-) mini Cats @ 3 for $30 and Den.
Kingianum divisions @ $12.

In addition to the "Destination Paradise" orchid exhibit, I thought the
"Underwater Paradise", composed of cacti and succulents which looked
like oceanic horticulture, was also exceptionally well done.

John