Old 08-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Rob Halgren

Default Pot labels (more organization)

So, Wendy got me thinking (and Al didn't help)... Does anybody use
labels (the stick on kind) on pots directly? That would save Al's
problem of customers bringing him labels. I see the benefit in having
old fashioned stick labels in pots as well, but it might be nice to mark
the pots. I don't reuse my pots anyway, and if I did, I suppose I could
just paste a new label over the old one.

I hear that there are water/chemical resistant labels out there. But I
don't know what works the best. For that matter, I see all these nice
computer printed labels on orchids, but I have no idea how they do that
(some of them last a long time). Anybody want to share some tips?

And, as a final thought, if the pots are plastic and the labels are
plastic, you could always staple one to the other... That way when your
customer pulls the label out of the pot to look at it, she ends up
getting the whole pot. There might be some training value in that, too.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
Old 08-04-2004, 03:33 PM
molli

Don't know about the computer generated ones, but both Al and Ray had
recommended the brother P-touch label maker to me, for nice long lasting
labels. They can even go through the dishwasher without fading/coming off
when applied to a coffee cup for work.

--
hugs,
Molli

Old 08-04-2004, 03:34 PM
Reka

I think the methods they use for dogs like chips or tattooing sound like a
good idea...it would sure prove the hardiness of some. Imagine an orchid
surviving getting "Miltonia Ron's Rippling Delight" tattooed on one of its
pseudobulbs...
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

"Rob Halgren" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
[...]

---

Old 08-04-2004, 04:34 PM
Dewitt

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 16:30:16 +0200, "Reka"
wrote:

I think the methods they use for dogs like chips or tattooing sound like a
good idea...it would sure prove the hardiness of some. Imagine an orchid
surviving getting "Miltonia Ron's Rippling Delight" tattooed on one of its
pseudobulbs...

In some places in Africa, they put id chips into wild cycads (the
family that sago palms are in) to help identify plants that are
poached and then put into the commercial trade.

deg
Old 08-04-2004, 07:04 PM
Gene Schurg

Great Idea guys/gals!

I use the P-touch for my plants but never thought about putting them on the
plastic pots themselves.

On labels they work great.

What could I do on the clay pots? I've never tried but I'd guess they
wouldn't stay on the clay pots.

Gene

Old 08-04-2004, 07:04 PM
RPM1

"Reka"
Imagine an orchid surviving getting "Miltonia Ron's Rippling Delight"
tattooed on one of its pseudobulbs...

quietly snickering

Ruth CM

Old 08-04-2004, 08:35 PM
molli

Gene..could you possibly put a layer of clear nailpolish on the clay pot
where you want to place the label, to seal it? and then apply the label?

hugs,
Molli

Old 09-04-2004, 01:02 AM
molli

Why the pink nail polish of course, silly! Clear is only good for sealing
pots, and mosquito and chigger bites. Oh yeah..runs in panty hose too...

--
hugs,
Molli

but then what would I use to paint my nails?

Old 09-04-2004, 05:02 AM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 17:41:44 -0600, "molli"
wrote:

Why the pink nail polish of course, silly! Clear is only good for sealing
pots, and mosquito and chigger bites. Oh yeah..runs in panty hose too...

These labels are great. We tried the Colorado sun, the Boiling
Water and a couple of other tricks. They are actually best on
the cheaper soft plastic labels and not on the type that are 1/8"
thick; The thick ones become brittle after a while. Well given
20 years so do the others, but they last longer.

The only other think that lasts as well is good old extra sharp
pencil - IF you have good handwriting. A hand written label with
a pencil lead will give you good service.... But most of us flunk
the first step. GOOD HANDWRITING.

The only problem with the P-touch label is your spelling errors
will be visible. G
SuE

Old 09-04-2004, 03:34 PM
Kenni Judd

Rob: The methods below undoubtedly work, if you have the time ... but with
the size of your new "inventory" you will probably want something faster.
Economy Label Sales [don't know if they have a distributor near you] makes
labels that will go through an old-fashioned dot matrix printer. They can
be pre-printed on one side [ours have our name, logo, phone # and web
address] and then the plant name printed, on your dot matrix, on the other.
Put the printer into draft mode, it goes faster and smears less; with a
light coat of clear aerosol lacquer, they last at least 7 years.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 09-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Rob Halgren

Kenni Judd wrote:

Rob: The methods below undoubtedly work, if you have the time ... but with
the size of your new "inventory" you will probably want something faster.
Economy Label Sales [don't know if they have a distributor near you] makes
labels that will go through an old-fashioned dot matrix printer. They can
be pre-printed on one side [ours have our name, logo, phone # and web
address] and then the plant name printed, on your dot matrix, on the other.
Put the printer into draft mode, it goes faster and smears less; with a
light coat of clear aerosol lacquer, they last at least 7 years.

I knew there was a reason I was keeping my old dot matrix
printer... Thanks for the tip.

Old 11-04-2004, 02:04 AM
Dewitt

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 09:43:43 -0400, Rob Halgren
wrote:

I hear that there are water/chemical resistant labels out there. But I
don't know what works the best. For that matter, I see all these nice
computer printed labels on orchids, but I have no idea how they do that
(some of them last a long time). Anybody want to share some tips?

Labels made by a Brother's P-touch are darn near invulnerable. When I
purchased a P-touch a couple years back, I hung a couple test labels
on an outdoor post in full sun. They still show no sign of fading or
coming loose. I haven't used them directly on pots, but imagine they
would stick to plastic pots as well as they do to plastic labels.
I've been using the industrial P-touch tape (see
http://www.provantage.com/buy-220321...s-shopping.htm)
because the adhesive is supposed to be stronger, but the regular tape
seems to work fine as well.

deg