Old 27-05-2004, 03:07 AM
Diana Kulaga

Default Specimen Size Plants

All,

Compared with many of you, I am a relative newbie, having grown orchids for
only 5 years. I have lots of plants that are now coming into their own, but
I also have some very large Catts.

Some of our Catts are too large now for 10 or 12" pots, and it's time to
repot. I can divide them, but there are a few that I'd like to keep intact.
What do you all do when they get this big and are very healthy? What about
rot in the center? I grow Catts in rock or Aliflor, or a combination of
both, so I don't have a problem with bark rot.

All advice welcome and appreciated!

Diana

Old 27-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Ray

The biggest problem is finding decent containers. OK, finding room for them is an issue, too.

Those that have grown out of the center into a doughnut configuration are a challenge - you can
either wait and home they fill in or deem those as the dividables.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
k.net...

Old 27-05-2004, 05:14 PM
K Barrett

Or use an inverted net pot of appropriate size in teh center of the doughnut
to provide air to the interior of the plant and repot into a larger
container, if yu have one. Center the inverted pot over the drainage hole
of the larger pot. plop the plant over the inverted pot. Builds the triceps
too.

K barrett

"Ray" wrote in message
The biggest problem is finding decent containers. OK, finding room for

them is an issue, too.

Those that have grown out of the center into a doughnut configuration are

a challenge - you can
either wait and home they fill in or deem those as the dividables.

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 27-05-2004, 10:06 PM
wendy7

Diana, larger than 10 or 12 " ? Hmmm..... Ok you could buy a few of the
ordinary hanging plastic plant pots & drill extra holes for drainage. Don't
get white,
the sun rots them quickly.
I take some wire & make a circle to fit around under the lip of the pot
& fasten.
Then when you connect your wire hangers, loop around this wire. It gives it
reinforcement.
They would look nice on your Lanai, I see you with Hunter Green or
Terracotta?

Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 27-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Kenni Judd

Diana: At that stage, and given your choice of media, you might consider
baskets. They are lighter than clay pots, so they don't build the triceps
quite as fast G... also faster-draining, which is usually a plus for big
containers. A couple of our larger Smbcna. Garnet Glory are headed for 16"
baskets -- I can't find clay pots that big, don't think I could afford them
if I found them, and am not sure my triceps would be up for it even then.

The inverted pot works well -- we do that a lot. Or if you have a tight
root-ball you don't want to disturb that much, use the really _big_ chunks
of charcoal or lava rock in the bottom of the basket, if the height needs to
be raised. P-nuts are cheaper and lighter initially, but will eventually
compress/break under the weight.

One other point about specimens in baskets -- once you do this, you don't
want to have to take them back out any time soon. Since your media won't go
bad, you're halfway there; the other issue is "potting height." If you
position the plant high in the basket, it will grow over the sides rather
than out through the slats. At which point you will still have the choice
of whether to go with an even larger basket [by just dropping the existing
one into the bigger one and filling around], or just let the plant grow into
a big ball.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 28-05-2004, 01:06 AM
Diana Kulaga

Thanks, Ladies, for some good ideas. See, this is why I love this ng. I
forgot completely about the inverted pot, mainly because I hadn't gotten to
that point. But now, with these big Catt girls, it's good to be reminded.

Either idea will work - the baskets or the plastic hanging thingies (we have
other plants in those now). And yes, I know well that my biceps won't be
able to handle the biggies!

Eventually, they will grow free and easy and get a bit more water than they
do now.

Thanks.

Diana

Old 28-05-2004, 08:03 AM
Reka

"Kenni Judd" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
A couple of our larger Smbcna. Garnet Glory are headed for 16"
baskets -- I can't find clay pots that big, don't think I could afford

them
if I found them, and am not sure my triceps would be up for it even then.

Smbcna.?
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

---

Old 28-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Ray

Shombocattleytonia?

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 28-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Reka

Well, *that* is a mouthful for sure!
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

"Ray" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Shombocattleytonia?

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 28-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Kenni Judd

Yes, Schombocattleytonia. Garnet Glory is Ctna. Why Not x Schomb.
thomsoniana -- and for the most part, looks like Why Not "on steroids."
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"Reka" wrote in message