Old 28-06-2005, 02:50 AM

Default The evil deed is done

Well I did it. I repotted my phal tonight. The lottery is now on as to
when it is going to die. Pick your date, post it here, and wait for
the announcement.

I picked up some regular Pro-Mix and a bag of perlite today and I just
finished the repotting. I took the 20-25% ratio advice that was posted
here, and I hope I've got an environment that will support my plant.
Only time will tell.

There were fewer roots than I expected. I guess all the roots had
migrated to the sides of the pot and that's what I was seeing through
the slats. On one of the of bigger, closer roots near the centre of
the plant there were a couple of node-like growths. I don't know if
they're going to turn into offshoot roots or if they're going to turn
into new spikes. The only reason that the spike thought crossed my
mind, is that they were growing up and not down into the pot.

There were also more rotten/old roots than I expected. I had my
sterilized razor blade ready, but most of bad roots broke off in my
hands while I was rinsing the roots under the tap. Everything got a
good liberal does of cinnamon.

I really hope I haven't killed it.
--Vic

Old 28-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Mick Fournier

Vic,

I will go with July 15. Is the lottery prize on this one still $500 cash?

Mick
www.OrchidFlask.com

Old 28-06-2005, 04:20 PM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 07:58:03 -0400, "Mick Fournier"
wrote:

Vic,

I will go with July 15. Is the lottery prize on this one still $500 cash?

Mick
www.OrchidFlask.com

Mick,

It all depends on how many others buy into the pot. g Five dollars
per date, proceeds split 50/50 between the person who picks the
correct drop dead date, and me since I'll need to finance a
replacement orchid. g
--Vic
Old 28-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Diana Kulaga

Vic,

A couple of comments. When you used the cinnamon (of which I am a big fan),
I hope you didn't dust the entire root ball, but just the rotten areas. As
far as the nodes on the roots, it sounds like they are branching, which is a
good thing.

In any case, spikes don't originate on the roots themselves, but from the
trunk of the Phal. I'm not contributing to the pool; let's hope that it
thrives!

Diana

Old 28-06-2005, 09:58 PM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:12:20 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Vic,

A couple of comments. When you used the cinnamon (of which I am a big fan),
I hope you didn't dust the entire root ball, but just the rotten areas. As
far as the nodes on the roots, it sounds like they are branching, which is a
good thing.

Oops.
I intended to only place them "wounds" but in some cases, those were
so close to the base of the plant that I ended up covering most of the
roots. Mind you, the plant went into and out of the pot (and potting
mixture) a few times while I tried to work out the right planting
depth, so I doubt much cinnamon remained by the time I was done
repotting.

In any case, spikes don't originate on the roots themselves, but from the
trunk of the Phal. I'm not contributing to the pool; let's hope that it
thrives!

Diana

Thanks Diana. I really hope it thrives too. I've wouldn't have gone to
the trouble to repot it if I didn't want it to grow. g I really do
have a soft spot for that silly phal. I'm just trying to prevent
myself from getting too cocky about my orchid nurturing skills. g
--Vic

Old 28-06-2005, 10:28 PM
Diana Kulaga

Mind you, the plant went into and out of the pot (and potting
mixture) a few times while I tried to work out the right planting
depth, so I doubt much cinnamon remained by the time I was done
repotting.

A good way to ensure that cinnamon goes where you want it is to make a paste
of it with Elmer's glue. I don't know if you've seen Ray's site; there is a
lot there about natural remedies, including and especially cinnamon. It's a
great site for lots of other reasons, too.

www.firstrays.com

Diana

Old 28-06-2005, 11:52 PM
Kenni Judd

Do I have to pick a specific date if I choose 2015 as the date of death?
You are obviously still laboring under the delusion that orchids are
fragile/delicate ... Kenni

Old 29-06-2005, 12:30 AM

wrote in message

Well I did it. I repotted my phal tonight. The lottery is now on as to
when it is going to die. Pick your date, post it here, and wait for
the announcement.

Nah, we'll be generous and let you have all of 2015. g

I hope it's a delusion, but as I've said before, I've never heard of
people taking other plants out for "professional" repotting until I
started reading r.g.o.
--Vic
Old 29-06-2005, 09:19 PM
Kenni Judd

Vic: We do customer repotting here at our place, too. There are several
reasons why people choose to pay us for the service rather than doing it
themselves:

1. Some are timid -- still laboring under that "fragile" delusion. I do
assure you it's a delusion; check out the Belize link on our site and see
that burnt Cyrtopodium putting out tons of new growth if you still have
doubts.
2. Some, who have full-time careers and only a few orchids, find it more
cost-effective, or at least convenient, to pay us to do it than to shop for
and store all the stuff to do it with. It's hard to buy just exactly what
you need to repot 2-3 plants.
3. Some are just plain lazy, or don't want to endanger their manicures.
4. On the larger plants [not Phals, generally, they're easy, but BIG Catts
or Dens], some of our older customers just flat can't do it. I can
symphathize on this last one. We had a specimen skinneri come in last year
(I wouldn't have divided it except the middle was rotting) that turned into
1 20" basket, several 10" pots, and a few smaller pots. I had to get a
stronger person to help with that one, myself.

Good growing, Kenni

Old 30-06-2005, 02:43 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20:40:28 +0200, Niek Hanckmann
wrote:

I really hope I haven't killed it.
--Vic

Sounds all very well, so I will go for at least june 28th of 2007 when
you will have to repot it again!

Grtz. Niek

I think you have the right idea Niek. I too thought it sounded
as if it went well. Of course in 2007 Vic will have more
experience and be less apt to kill it. So maybe Kenni is
correct. Long life to this Phal.
SuE
Old 30-06-2005, 04:27 AM
Mick Fournier

I am staying with my July 15, 2005 for it to croak.

Mick

Old 15-07-2005, 06:20 PM

wrote:

Vic,

I will go with July 15. Is the lottery prize on this one still $500 cash?

Mick
www.OrchidFlask.com

Well Mick it looks like you're out of the running. g

The plant is still alive. It is growing additional aerial roots and
the old roots are growing off-shoot roots.

The spike/inflorescence is now about 16 or 17-inches tall and it is
producing buds. There are three that look like they should bloom and
it is possible that another two or three could still develop.

Of course my fingers are still crossed and I'm still waiting for
impeding doom g but so far so good.
--Vic

Old 15-07-2005, 08:04 PM
?

wrote:

Vic,

I will go with July 15. Is the lottery prize on this one still $500 cash?

Mick
www.OrchidFlask.com

Well Mick it looks like you're out of the running. g

The plant is still alive. It is growing additional aerial roots and
the old roots are growing off-shoot roots.

The spike/inflorescence is now about 16 or 17-inches tall and it is
producing buds. There are three that look like they should bloom and
it is possible that another two or three could still develop.

Of course my fingers are still crossed and I'm still waiting for
impeding doom g but so far so good.

Do not have a repeat of the death of Phragenstein and accidentally
water it with concentrated fertilizer :-).

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil
Old 16-07-2005, 02:40 AM
Mick Fournier

Vic,

June 28 deep in my subconscious mind I knew it was either your plant or
NASA's billion dollar Discovery shuttle lift-off that was going to get
whacked around July 15... I just couldn't foretell for sure which truly
newsworthy phenomena in the future was going to come to pass. I guess I
need to practice a bit more on my divining skills.

Mick