Old 14-04-2007, 08:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Oxygen in ponds

Is there an easy test for oxygen content in pond water?
I have an air pump with twin outlets combined into one, feeding an airstone
in the pond. Is there any advantage in putting a stone in my box filter?
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 15-04-2007, 01:18 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 13:09:50 CST, "BoyPete" wrote:

Is there an easy test for oxygen content in pond water?
I have an air pump with twin outlets combined into one, feeding an airstone
in the pond. Is there any advantage in putting a stone in my box filter?

I know they sell oxygen meters. Not sure if they've made them more
convenient or cheaper. Our club purchased one, it has things that have to
per replaced (diaphragms?) and it has to be calibrated.... I've never used
it.

Just like the fish, good bacteria is aerobic so more air in the filter is a
good thing. I know I have one in my prefilter feeding to the bio-chambers.
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 15-04-2007, 03:09 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:
On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 13:09:50 CST, "BoyPete" wrote:

Is there an easy test for oxygen content in pond water?
I have an air pump with twin outlets combined into one, feeding an
airstone in the pond. Is there any advantage in putting a stone in my
box filter?

I know they sell oxygen meters. Not sure if they've made them more
convenient or cheaper. Our club purchased one, it has things that have to
per replaced (diaphragms?) and it has to be calibrated.... I've never
used it.

Just like the fish, good bacteria is aerobic so more air in the filter is
a good thing. I know I have one in my prefilter feeding to the
bio-chambers. ~ jan

There are color change test kits available, too. Probably more than one.
I'll try to remember to get the brand on the one I have.

~Semper Fi~

Old 15-04-2007, 01:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod...ions.passInCat
egoryKey=23621

yeah, actually bacteria in the filter LOVE oxygen.

I was thinking that oxygen with air makes cloudy ice cubes. wonder if there
is some direct relationship between how cloudy and how much oxygen.

I am sure with an air pump you are getting plenty of oxygen into the water.
most important is to NOT have pea soup algae when the temp of the water gets
over 80oF. that is when the algae will use up the oxygen overnight and the
fish are gasping/dying in the morning. Ingrid

Old 15-04-2007, 06:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Is there an easy test for oxygen content in pond water?
I have an air pump with twin outlets combined into one, feeding an airstone
in the pond. Is there any advantage in putting a stone in my box filter?

Some people think air in the bio filter is the greatest development in
fish keeping in a long time.

http://www.koivillage.com/filtration/nexus.html

Download the PDF and dream a while.
I can't afford one, but if I win the lottery, or in my next life maybe
I'll set up a pond with one of these.

Actually a friend is trying filter media in a barrel with an adequate
air pump to agitate the media to see if we can do something similar.

Regards,

Hal

Old 15-04-2007, 08:18 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 11:21:08 CST, Hal wrote:

Some people think air in the bio filter is the greatest development in
fish keeping in a long time.

http://www.koivillage.com/filtration/nexus.html

I know this is the latest in techno-gizmos for ponds, but I still like the
vortex filter set-up, they follow the KISS rule.

When it is simple enough for me to figure out... it's gotta be simple.
:-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 16-04-2007, 05:43 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Is there an easy test for oxygen content in pond water?
I have an air pump with twin outlets combined into one, feeding an airstone
in the pond. Is there any advantage in putting a stone in my box filter?

Some people think air in the bio filter is the greatest development in
fish keeping in a long time.

http://www.koivillage.com/filtration/nexus.html

Download the PDF and dream a while.
I can't afford one, but if I win the lottery, or in my next life maybe
I'll set up a pond with one of these.

Actually a friend is trying filter media in a barrel with an adequate
air pump to agitate the media to see if we can do something similar.

Regards,

Hal

I have twin outlets on my pump (with bio pre-filter), one going to the
external filter and then the waterfall, and the other to a venturi
pulling air from the surface and pushing water and air around the pond.
Cheap and efficient.

Old 16-04-2007, 05:43 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
~ jan wrote:

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 11:21:08 CST, Hal wrote:

Some people think air in the bio filter is the greatest development in
fish keeping in a long time.

http://www.koivillage.com/filtration/nexus.html

I know this is the latest in techno-gizmos for ponds, but I still like the
vortex filter set-up, they follow the KISS rule.

When it is simple enough for me to figure out... it's gotta be simple.
:-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Simple, but then there's the sticker shock.

Old 16-04-2007, 02:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

It is a modified bead filter. Great for swimming pools, not for fish ponds
or even ponds with fish. Of course the problem with bead filters always has
been they go anaerbic so I guess this is trying to add oxygen to overcome
that.

the easiest filter to make is a veggie filter. the added benefit is it LOOK
wonderful. Ingrid

Old 17-04-2007, 12:52 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Apr 14, 2:09 pm, "BoyPete" wrote:
Is there an easy test for oxygen content in pond water?
I have an air pump with twin outlets combined into one, feeding an airstone
in the pond. Is there any advantage in putting a stone in my box filter?
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Everyone seems to have answered positively to the airstone being in
the filter box; and this may well be the best use of the two outlets.
But I will at least mention that this will probably not do lots for
adding oxygen to the pond. Remember it is the air bubbles breaking
the surface of the water that actually make the oxygen exchange into
the water. JMO
Bill

Old 17-04-2007, 05:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 22:43:42 CST, Kurt wrote:

http://www.koivillage.com/filtration/nexus.html

I know this is the latest in techno-gizmos for ponds, but I still like the
vortex filter set-up, they follow the KISS rule.

When it is simple enough for me to figure out... it's gotta be simple.
:-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Simple, but then there's the sticker shock.

On the Nextus, you bet, in comparison you can purchase 3 vortex filters for
half the price of one Nextus. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 17-04-2007, 07:20 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Unfortunately, this is contradicted by physics. Aquatic ecosystems has a
nice write up about oxygen exchange across air bubbles below the surface and
that the finer the bubbles, the greater the exchange. Furthermore, fine
bubbles also allow nasty gases to exchange as well and get blown out of the
surface as the bubbles break. Ingrid

Old 17-04-2007, 09:45 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

humBill wrote:
On Apr 14, 2:09 pm, "BoyPete" wrote:
Is there an easy test for oxygen content in pond water?
I have an air pump with twin outlets combined into one, feeding an
airstone in the pond. Is there any advantage in putting a stone in
my box filter? --
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Everyone seems to have answered positively to the airstone being in
the filter box; and this may well be the best use of the two outlets.
But I will at least mention that this will probably not do lots for
adding oxygen to the pond. Remember it is the air bubbles breaking
the surface of the water that actually make the oxygen exchange into
the water. JMO
Bill

Thanks Bill.
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 17-04-2007, 02:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

the surface of the water that actually make the oxygen exchange into
the water-

How does a waterfall or a stream compare to a bubbler? Do they have
stats for that? They make for a lot of surface exposure. Jim set up
our berm to have the water go over four falls before running down an 8
foot stream into the pond. He saw that as getting pretty near full
oxygenation.

Phyllis

Old 17-04-2007, 06:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

as a passive system independent of an air pump, it is excellent as long as
it isnt a smooth flow. the more it burbles and "talks" the greater the
surface to air ratio. I have a big aquatic ecosystem air blower with a foot
long sintered glass airstone that makes tiny bubbles. it is 6 inches below
the surface and the water just boils with tiny bubbles.
http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/...Detail/ttid/49
http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/.../techtalk.list
Ingrid

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
How does a waterfall or a stream compare to a bubbler? Do they have
stats for that? They make for a lot of surface exposure. Jim set up
our berm to have the water go over four falls before running down an 8
foot stream into the pond. He saw that as getting pretty near full
oxygenation.

Phyllis

Rate This Thread: