Old 02-06-2007, 06:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Finis

It's about noon here and the rain has pretty much stopped. We got
somewhere between 2 and 3 inches of rain. It isn't a flood or
anything but like I say, it's better than the whole month of May. It
may even have put some real hurting on that fire just to the east, I
know it's been only about a month, but we've been putting up with that
thing it seems like forever.
--
Galen Hekhuis
I may have mispoken

Old 03-06-2007, 04:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 11:13:57 CST, Galen Hekhuis
wrote:

It's about noon here and the rain has pretty much stopped. We got
somewhere between 2 and 3 inches of rain. It isn't a flood or
anything but like I say, it's better than the whole month of May. It
may even have put some real hurting on that fire just to the east, I
know it's been only about a month, but we've been putting up with that
thing it seems like forever.

It does seem like longer than a month and I only get the smoke when
the wind is from the South. Not every day nor all day, but enough to
encourage me to take more lounge chair and movie time instead of
weeding around the pond and flower bed work.

I'm glad you got a measurable amount of rain too.

Regards,

Hal

Old 04-06-2007, 12:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

It's about noon here and the rain has pretty much stopped. We got
somewhere between 2 and 3 inches of rain. It isn't a flood or
anything but like I say, it's better than the whole month of May. It
may even have put some real hurting on that fire just to the east, I
know it's been only about a month, but we've been putting up with that
thing it seems like forever.

Saw it on the news and thought of you. Hopefully you'll get more soon, did
it help raise the level of the ponds at all?

We're having an early heat wave here, 99F yesterday broke the record for
our area. Today suppose to be triple digits. So of course we had an all
dayer yesterday in the park promoting the hobby at the Master Gardener
Garden Fair. We were very fortunate to have a member bring a big fan with a
mister system attached. So here we sat, 7 of us, under our 2 white pop-up
canopies and this mister blowing across us. While other groups were working
in shifts of 2 people, we all sat there for most the day together chatting.
At one point the extension agent came by and said, "Just how many people
does it take to explain about koi?"

So let's agree to the change, "Maddogs and Pond People"? ~ jan :-)
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 04-06-2007, 03:59 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 17:22:51 CST, ~ jan wrote:

Saw it on the news and thought of you. Hopefully you'll get more soon, did
it help raise the level of the ponds at all?

Thanks for thinking of us. Unfortunately, it didn't hardly change the
depth of the water. I don't want to sound ungrateful, but we need
about 20-30 of these things just to get back to normal. Still, it was
nice to wake up to a clear sky and no smell of smoke. It's been weeks
since we've even seen the sun.

We're having an early heat wave here, 99F yesterday broke the record for
our area. Today suppose to be triple digits. So of course we had an all
dayer yesterday in the park promoting the hobby at the Master Gardener
Garden Fair. We were very fortunate to have a member bring a big fan with a
mister system attached. So here we sat, 7 of us, under our 2 white pop-up
canopies and this mister blowing across us. While other groups were working
in shifts of 2 people, we all sat there for most the day together chatting.
At one point the extension agent came by and said, "Just how many people
does it take to explain about koi?"

It's nowhere near that hot here. As a matter of fact, it hasn't hit
triple digits here in a long time. Florida is not as hot as some
folks think, though usually it is wetter.

So let's agree to the change, "Maddogs and Pond People"? ~ jan :-)
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

--
Galen Hekhuis
"Mistakes were made"

Old 04-06-2007, 05:39 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
Galen Hekhuis wrote:

[...]

But you've got the humidity.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:11 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
It's about noon here and the rain has pretty much stopped. We got
somewhere between 2 and 3 inches of rain. It isn't a flood or
anything but like I say, it's better than the whole month of May. It
may even have put some real hurting on that fire just to the east, I
know it's been only about a month, but we've been putting up with that
thing it seems like forever.

=========================
We haven't had a drop of rain here. Our lawn is turning brown and unless I
water the gardens they too would be drying up. Evaporation is at about 1/2"
a day with the breeze and constant sunny days. We're starting to see box
turtles drawn to the ponds seeking water. I put out a low birdbath like
bowl of water for them this afternoon. I hope they find it. The neighbor's
stock pond is dry. The night is silent except for an occasional croak from
a bullfrog. Nothing like normal.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

we got one of those mister fans for our rabbits to keep em cool on the
hottest days. that fan, BTW, is built for outdoor use!! we got an
Arizona mist system (around 21-22 bucks) for us, attached to the
outdoor shade umbrella.

they work extremely well!!

Old 05-06-2007, 10:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 09:03:02 CST, wrote:

we got one of those mister fans for our rabbits to keep em cool on the
hottest days. that fan, BTW, is built for outdoor use!! we got an
Arizona mist system (around 21-22 bucks) for us, attached to the
outdoor shade umbrella.

they work extremely well!!

We call them swamp coolers here, and they really don't work well in
swamps, or high humidity.

Regards,

Hal

Old 05-06-2007, 11:20 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Galen Hekhuis wrote:
It's about noon here and the rain has pretty much stopped. We got
somewhere between 2 and 3 inches of rain. It isn't a flood or
anything but like I say, it's better than the whole month of May. It
may even have put some real hurting on that fire just to the east, I
know it's been only about a month, but we've been putting up with that
thing it seems like forever.
--
Galen Hekhuis
I may have mispoken

I'd gladly send you some of our rain.....however it apparently came from
your East coast so might be a bit difficult to turn it around
now.....maybe you need to have a chat with those in the Eastern states
and tell them to send it to you instead of us - lol

Gill

Old 07-06-2007, 05:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

well swamp coolers have water dribbling down material of some kind and
a fan blows air over the material....... but these mist systems are
for outdoors. as the water is forced out of the tiny jets it is
(mostly) turned into a vapor which evaporates (mostly) cooling the
air. I say mostly because PRO systems use a finer jet and more
pressure to make sure there is a mist. Ours dont so those closest get
a fine spray of water on them (this is the overhead system). The
water coming out of the tap is 55-60o and it will absorb heat when the
temp is higher than that. It only really drops the temp about 10o
IIRC, but the cooling is good enough .... and our summers are hot and
humid for the most part, we are right next to Lake Michigan. Ingrid

We call them swamp coolers here, and they really don't work well in
swamps, or high humidity.

Rate This Thread: