Old 02-04-2008, 02:59 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Close Escape

Yesterday the hose from my pump to pressurised filter came of putting
about 1/4 of the contents of my pond mainly over next doors garden.
Fortunately I was about and was in time to switch of the pump before all
the water had gone.
I was wondering if anyone had come across a device to cut off the pump
if the water level got too low?
Peter Breed

Old 02-04-2008, 11:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Peter Breed wrote:
Yesterday the hose from my pump to pressurised filter came of putting
about 1/4 of the contents of my pond mainly over next doors garden.
Fortunately I was about and was in time to switch of the pump before
all the water had gone.
I was wondering if anyone had come across a device to cut off the pump
if the water level got too low?
Peter Breed

Can't help with a device, but in addition to normal hose clips, my pipes are
also secured with cable ties to the body of the filter. Filter also stands
on a slope to the pond, so any leakage runs back in. Well, that's the theory
anyway
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 02-04-2008, 11:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Apr 2, 9:59 am, Peter Breed wrote:
Yesterday the hose from my pump to pressurised filter came of putting
about 1/4 of the contents of my pond mainly over next doors garden.
Fortunately I was about and was in time to switch of the pump before all
the water had gone.
I was wondering if anyone had come across a device to cut off the pump
if the water level got too low?
Peter Breed

There are several low-water shut-off switches you can get. I used one
in my last pond. Something like these:

http://www.123ponds.com/pond-accesso...-switches.html
(Just an example, not an endorsement, although I've used these guys
before.)

The switch plugs into the outlet, your pump plugs into the back of the
plug for the switch, and the sensor goes in your pond at whatever shut-
off level you want. These work well if your pump and outlet are near
the pond, say, within 10-15 feet of it.

Dave

Old 02-04-2008, 11:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:59:49 EDT, Peter Breed
wrote:

Yesterday the hose from my pump to pressurised filter came of putting
about 1/4 of the contents of my pond mainly over next doors garden.
Fortunately I was about and was in time to switch of the pump before all
the water had gone.
I was wondering if anyone had come across a device to cut off the pump
if the water level got too low?
Peter Breed

You can get a mercury float switch from Aquatic Eco-Systems, that's what I
use on all my pumps. Water gets too low, power is shut off.
www.aquaticeco.com ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 03-04-2008, 02:54 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 18:45:08 EDT, ~ jan wrote:

You can get a mercury float switch from Aquatic Eco-Systems, that's what I
use on all my pumps. Water gets too low, power is shut off.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategor...oat%20switch/0

I could not believe how hard that was to find. If I typed in mercury float
switch I got Tech Talk on what they were, but no product. Only when I typed
in float switch did I get the product. I'd say their website needs some
work, imo. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 03-04-2008, 01:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Pete C wrote:
Peter Breed wrote:
Yesterday the hose from my pump to pressurised filter came of putting
about 1/4 of the contents of my pond mainly over next doors garden.
Fortunately I was about and was in time to switch of the pump before
all the water had gone.
I was wondering if anyone had come across a device to cut off the pump
if the water level got too low?
Peter Breed

Can't help with a device, but in addition to normal hose clips, my pipes are
also secured with cable ties to the body of the filter. Filter also stands
on a slope to the pond, so any leakage runs back in. Well, that's the theory
anyway

My pond is raised, the advantage of the pressurised filter was that it
could be hidden away. I changed my hoses from 25mm-32mm last year,
everything became a bit stiffer, seemed to put more stress on the ends.
Now I've resorted to solvent cementing the hoses on.
Peter

Old 03-04-2008, 01:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Peter Breed" wrote in message
Yesterday the hose from my pump to pressurised filter came of putting
about 1/4 of the contents of my pond mainly over next doors garden.
Fortunately I was about and was in time to switch of the pump before all
the water had gone.
I was wondering if anyone had come across a device to cut off the pump if
the water level got too low?
Peter Breed

===========================
Two words = HOSE CLAMPS! Also, to save your fish, keep your pump off the
bottom of the pond. This way if something "lets go," there will be enough
water left to keep them alive until you notice. You may lose your pump but
will still have your fish. Those black milk crates you can buy in many
stores work well. Just cut some of the cross pieces so you fish don't get
stuck in them.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I had the "pond emptying thing" often enough that I gave up and constructed my
filters to overhang my pond so overflow goes back into the pond. No hose leads from
the pond to anywhere outside the pond. No pond emptying so far. Ingrid

Old 03-04-2008, 03:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Reel McKoi wrote:

"Peter Breed" wrote in message
Yesterday the hose from my pump to pressurised filter came of putting
about 1/4 of the contents of my pond mainly over next doors garden.
Fortunately I was about and was in time to switch of the pump before
all the water had gone.
I was wondering if anyone had come across a device to cut off the pump
if the water level got too low?
Peter Breed

===========================
Two words = HOSE CLAMPS! Also, to save your fish, keep your pump off
the bottom of the pond. This way if something "lets go," there will be
enough water left to keep them alive until you notice. You may lose
your pump but will still have your fish. Those black milk crates you
can buy in many stores work well. Just cut some of the cross pieces so
you fish don't get stuck in them.

Strangely it did have a hose clamp. This was the second set of hose
tails, I replaced the first one after it became distorted because I was
unconvinced by the security and overtightened the hose clamp, I may
erred the other way too much. I'd be tempted to use rigid pipes up to
the edge of the pond if I did things over again.
I have got pump on an upturned aquatic planter, but I'd rather lose only
a maybe a foot of water and have things switch off than be half an hour
from losing all but six inches, have a burned out pump. I'm surprised
float switches* aren't more widely available in pond shops. I'm looking
at boat bilge type float switches, they seem to be more available and
cheaper than anything to do with aquatics.
Peter
* Thanks jan for the correct terminology

Old 04-04-2008, 01:10 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Non-Pond Bargains was Close Escape

Peter Breed wrote:
I'm looking
at boat bilge type float switches, they seem to be more available and
cheaper than anything to do with aquatics.

This sounds like the start of a good thread. Many things that have
"Pond" on them cost $$$$$$$. What are your biggest pond bargains when
bought in another venue?

Chip

Old 05-04-2008, 01:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Peter Breed wrote:
at boat bilge type float switches, they seem to be more available and
cheaper than anything to do with aquatics.

This sounds like the start of a good thread. Many things that have
"Pond" on them cost $$$$$$$. What are your biggest pond bargains when
bought in another venue?
Chip

I'm hoping Peter shares what kind he buys and where purchased.

Pond bargain for me are the tomato spikes for lilies. I like the small
torpedo shaped ones, others will buy big ones and hit them with a hammer to
break them up. Flying fertilizer doesn't work for me. ;-)

Plant baskets = utility baskets from the dollar store lined with weed
fabric. Not only are they cheaper they have a much nicer lip around the
edge to hold on to. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 05-04-2008, 04:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

One bunch of watercress from the grocery store
will turn into lots of watercress and is a good filter plant.
Also very easy to rip up and toss if it gets out of
control. Will grow thru a hot summer.

k :-)

Old 06-04-2008, 12:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
Peter Breed wrote:

Yesterday the hose from my pump to pressurised filter came of putting
about 1/4 of the contents of my pond mainly over next doors garden.
Fortunately I was about and was in time to switch of the pump before all
the water had gone.
I was wondering if anyone had come across a device to cut off the pump
if the water level got too low?
Peter Breed

I've certainly been down that path. I know some people have devised
toilet bowl-like devices for that. I now keep my pump a few inches off
the bottom. Never lost a fish, but had my pond look like a sardine can a
couple times.

Rate This Thread: