Old 07-04-2008, 03:57 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default My pond is almost finished

Hello everyone: As many of you know, I recently added a larger pond in
my yard. I basically went from a rigid plastic tub to a 3200 gal. pond;
I did this sometime last fall. Over the weekend, I clean out all the
leaves and other muck that accumulated over the winter and added water.
All of the hard-scaping is finished, I'm in the process of adding the
plants to the outside,, and within a few weeks Fish will be added. I'm
still undecided on koi or goldfish. Well I have a few more weeks to
think it over. AS soon as the final plants are in, I'll post some pics.
Thanks to all who gave me suggestions and help.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Apr 6, 10:57 pm, Peter Pan wrote:
Hello everyone: As many of you know, I recently added a larger pond in
my yard. I basically went from a rigid plastic tub to a 3200 gal. pond;
I did this sometime last fall. Over the weekend, I clean out all the
leaves and other muck that accumulated over the winter and added water.
All of the hard-scaping is finished, I'm in the process of adding the
plants to the outside,, and within a few weeks Fish will be added. I'm
still undecided on koi or goldfish. Well I have a few more weeks to
think it over. AS soon as the final plants are in, I'll post some pics.
Thanks to all who gave me suggestions and help.

It sounds like all the hard work is done and now you are doing the fun
stuff.
We can't wait til it is warm enough to get some colorful flowers
around our 2k pond. The fish are eating and all seem to have come thru
winter healthy.
Can't wait to see the pics. Nan

Old 07-04-2008, 09:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 22:57:38 EDT, Peter Pan wrote:

Hello everyone: As many of you know, I recently added a larger pond in
my yard. I basically went from a rigid plastic tub to a 3200 gal. pond;
I did this sometime last fall. Over the weekend, I clean out all the
leaves and other muck that accumulated over the winter and added water.
All of the hard-scaping is finished, I'm in the process of adding the
plants to the outside,, and within a few weeks Fish will be added. I'm
still undecided on koi or goldfish. Well I have a few more weeks to
think it over. AS soon as the final plants are in, I'll post some pics.
Thanks to all who gave me suggestions and help.

Peter, have you considered butterfly koi? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 08-04-2008, 02:44 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:
On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 22:57:38 EDT, Peter Pan wrote:

Hello everyone: As many of you know, I recently added a larger pond in
my yard. I basically went from a rigid plastic tub to a 3200 gal. pond;
I did this sometime last fall. Over the weekend, I clean out all the
leaves and other muck that accumulated over the winter and added water.
All of the hard-scaping is finished, I'm in the process of adding the
plants to the outside,, and within a few weeks Fish will be added. I'm
still undecided on koi or goldfish. Well I have a few more weeks to
think it over. AS soon as the final plants are in, I'll post some pics.
Thanks to all who gave me suggestions and help.

Peter, have you considered butterfly koi? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Jan I've been looking at them and yes I am considering them. The
question I have about koi, according to what I am reading, they require
a cleaner environment then gold fish. I'm wondering with 3200 gal, how
often will I need to perform a partial water change?
The other question is, what do I use for a substrate? I was thinking Pea
Stones (pebbles)

Old 08-04-2008, 07:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 21:44:29 EDT, Peter Pan wrote:

Jan I've been looking at them and yes I am considering them. The
question I have about koi, according to what I am reading, they require
a cleaner environment then gold fish. I'm wondering with 3200 gal, how
often will I need to perform a partial water change?

Personally I don't think it matters, ponding isn't about the fish, it is
about water keeping.

The other question is, what do I use for a substrate? I was thinking Pea
Stones (pebbles)

Ah, substrate? You mean rocks on the bottom?!!! Gasp! If so, I'll open a
thread rocks on the bottom of the pond. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 08-04-2008, 02:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

If you install a veggie filter a partial water change is necessary only once a year
or so. arggghhh... dont use pea gravel. The best biomedia is nylon screening,
reticulated foam, and polyester batting. Ingrid

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 21:44:29 EDT, Peter Pan wrote:
Jan I've been looking at them and yes I am considering them. The
question I have about koi, according to what I am reading, they require
a cleaner environment then gold fish. I'm wondering with 3200 gal, how
often will I need to perform a partial water change?
The other question is, what do I use for a substrate? I was thinking Pea
Stones (pebbles)

Rate This Thread: