Old 25-07-2008, 09:20 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Grass around pond

I am a recent "returnee" from before the trashing of rec.ponds more than
5-6 years ago. Back then I was simply "rhino". I'm glad to find this
new one.
Problem- What can I use to control grass (ithink it's johnson grass) in
the flowerbeds right up next to the pond? I have found some
recommendations for vinegar and salt in solution and sprayed. I don't
want to saturate the soil with salt though. That so-called weed cloth
isn't worth a dime. I don't want to pile 10-12 inches of mulch. Any
other ideas?

Old 26-07-2008, 02:25 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

blackrhino wrote:

I am a recent "returnee" from before the trashing of rec.ponds more than
5-6 years ago. Back then I was simply "rhino". I'm glad to find this
new one.
Problem- What can I use to control grass (ithink it's johnson grass) in
the flowerbeds right up next to the pond? I have found some
recommendations for vinegar and salt in solution and sprayed. I don't
want to saturate the soil with salt though. That so-called weed cloth
isn't worth a dime. I don't want to pile 10-12 inches of mulch. Any
other ideas?

You can buy herbicide that works specifically for grass and won't harm other
plants. As long as you are careful when you spray to keep it out of the pond
water you should be okay.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 26-07-2008, 03:17 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Welcome back!

I think one version of the herbicide is called 'Over the top'

Jim

Old 26-07-2008, 07:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 16:20:12 EDT, blackrhino wrote:

I am a recent "returnee" from before the trashing of rec.ponds more than
5-6 years ago. Back then I was simply "rhino". I'm glad to find this
new one.

Welcome back!

Problem- What can I use to control grass (ithink it's johnson grass) in
the flowerbeds right up next to the pond? I have found some
recommendations for vinegar and salt in solution and sprayed. I don't
want to saturate the soil with salt though. That so-called weed cloth
isn't worth a dime. I don't want to pile 10-12 inches of mulch. Any
other ideas?

How big an area? Are there other plants in the same area it is growing up
thru?

If small, hand pull. If large I would probably use an herbicide carefully
around the pond, and hand pull up by the pond.

If a large area, and worries about spraying, and can't hand pull, and not
growing thru other desirable plants, you could block the light with black
plastic. Ugly and takes lots of time. You could sunburn it with clear
plastic, via solar power.

If it is growing on top of weed fabric it should be easy to pull. Just
depends on how much you're dealing with. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 29-07-2008, 05:53 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

torch

Rate This Thread: