Old 01-08-2005, 12:54 AM
George

"DC" wrote in message
oups.com...
First off, G, there is a problem with your website. Try viewing it
from something other than your server (or develpment machine) and
you'll discover that there is a javascript call to a page that points
to 127.0.0.1 which is the internal loopback address of a PC. (So no
matter who visits it, it tries to look up pages on THEIR machine
instead of yours.)

Offending code: "script language='javascript'
src='http://127.0.0.1:1025/js.cgi?pcaw&r=9514'/script"

Cheers,

DC

Hmmm. I don't know how that got in there. Others have used the web site
with no problems at all. I'll have to investigate this and get back to
you. Thanks for pointing it out.

Old 01-08-2005, 03:52 AM
Carl Beyer

I have a small pond with limited surroundings. I wanted to build a
veggie filter but that did not pan out.I use a skippy filter system that
works like a charm. There are some great ideas on how to plumb a bottom
sucking system if you do NOT put the pump in the water.

But, I also made a Fluidized Bed sand filter that then feeds a UV
filter... It runs 24/7.

I also have plants in the pond.

I am way over-stocked, and the pond is small, so I clean the skippy a
lot. The Fluidized I built by myself (also built the skippy as well)
Maybe 150 to 200 for the whole system (without pump).

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com
Old 01-08-2005, 04:07 AM
Courageous

I am way over-stocked, and the pond is small, so I clean the skippy a
lot. The Fluidized I built by myself (also built the skippy as well)
Maybe 150 to 200 for the whole system (without pump).

I find fluidized beds to be quite cool. If you made one yourself,
I can only assume that you are well aware you need to reseed the filter
with a bacterial culture if the filter is off for 30+ minutes or so for
any reason, yes?

The bacterial colony in a fluidized bed dies practically immediately
if the device stops. The same is not true for many other filter media,
as the gaps between the media hold oxygen bearing water which keep the
bacteria alive for more manageable times.

All that said, fluidized beds are spectacularly efficient at what they
do. Is there any filter as efficient for the size? Don't believe so...

C//

Old 01-08-2005, 07:25 AM
Carl Beyer

I find fluidized beds to be quite cool. If you made one yourself,
I can only assume that you are well aware you need to reseed the filter
with a bacterial culture if the filter is off for 30+ minutes or so for
any reason, yes?

The bacterial colony in a fluidized bed dies practically immediately
if the device stops. The same is not true for many other filter media,
as the gaps between the media hold oxygen bearing water which keep the
bacteria alive for more manageable times.

All that said, fluidized beds are spectacularly efficient at what they
do. Is there any filter as efficient for the size? Don't believe so...

I am not scientist. Hell, I am a crappy pond keeper compared to the
people in this group, But I have not had the bacteria issue you speak
of. I have had my system knocked out for a day because of power, and
other times from pump failure. I set up the filter with a back wash
valve (meaning water does not flow back into pond if pump goes offline).
Also, I have the top sealed airtight, so the bed will just sit in the
water... I have been told it will survive a week this way, but Like I
said I really don't know much more than the fact my numbers are solid.

The only real problem I have is that the pump is a bit strong and it
takes tweaking to get the sand to flow right. I replace the sand once a
year from the sand in my reef tank...

Old 02-08-2005, 03:53 AM
Courageous

I am not scientist. Hell, I am a crappy pond keeper compared to the
people in this group, But I have not had the bacteria issue you speak
of.

How do you know? You shut down your filter, and cultured the
sand?

Anyway, your specific situation aside, here's a google for you:

I doubt very much indeed that the aerobic bacteria in your FB
will live more than an hour or so if you turn it off. Sources
I know and trust express the lifespan of the bacteria at this
point in "minutes".

I've read alot about FBs. But no knowledge is perfect. If you
happen to run across something that says different, I'll certainly
be interested in it...

C//

Old 02-08-2005, 04:10 AM
Courageous

How do you know? You shut down your filter, and cultured the
sand?

Reading my own comment, I'm realizing that this comment might
be viewed as sarcastic. Didn't mean it that way. :-)

C//

Old 02-08-2005, 07:24 AM
Carl Beyer

In article ,
Courageous wrote:

How do you know? You shut down your filter, and cultured the
sand?

Reading my own comment, I'm realizing that this comment might
be viewed as sarcastic. Didn't mean it that way. :-)

C//

Funny. I did take it as sarcastic. Glad you reposted. No, that is my
problem is that I am no expert, and I do not test the sand. Plus, I
have live plants in my pond so that must help my situation, along with
the skippy filter.

I know my water is in great shape. I have it tested often at the LFS.
And I know it is overstocked in a HUGE way.

I use coarser sand than what the "store bought" systems use (my reef
tank sand). Also the system is "homebuilt" Just peices of PVC glued
together.

When I first built this I was told that the bio would live for a day or
two if kept wet... As much I know and have researched. Will take a
look at the link you sent.

All the best

Old 02-08-2005, 03:17 PM
Courageous

problem is that I am no expert, and I do not test the sand. Plus, I
have live plants in my pond so that must help my situation, along with
the skippy filter.

I agree. They likely mask what happens. Finally, the f-bed perhaps
repopulates with aerobes pretty quickly after it shuts down. Perhaps
for your situation, this is good enough.

I know my water is in great shape. I have it tested often at the LFS.
And I know it is overstocked in a HUGE way.

Intelligent pond management is what allows us to stock above nature's
levels. If you think your pond is overstocked, you should check out
intensive aquaculture facilities...

Anyway, if you happen to find anything definitive that states that
the aerobes in a fluidized bed have lifespans into days when the
device is shutdown, could you post a link to it here? I'm interested.

C//

Old 02-08-2005, 07:16 PM
Carl Beyer

In article ,
Courageous wrote:

[...]

Will find my old links... WIll post if for you when I do