Old 04-08-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Koi fin rot? advice please

I've only just noticed this fish swimming oddly and hiding in amongst
the shallows.

On closer inspection the lower half of the tailfin is missing I
searched around and think it may be Fin rot.

http://www.landshapes.btinternet.co....804-175907.jpg

Do you think it is worth treating or would euthanasia be the kindest
solution.

If it is treatable what would you recommend?

the fish was bought along with two others about 12weeks ago and is
3-4inches long the others seem fine.

thanks

Bob

Old 04-08-2005, 10:44 PM
Reel Mckoi

wrote in message
I've only just noticed this fish swimming oddly and hiding in amongst
the shallows.

On closer inspection the lower half of the tailfin is missing I
searched around and think it may be Fin rot.

http://www.landshapes.btinternet.co....804-175907.jpg

It sure looks like some kind of infection. Lymnozyme to the rescue!
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 05-08-2005, 02:13 AM
RichToyBox

Looking at the picture, I would euthanize that fish. It is very severely
bacterially infected and would require injectable antibiotics to keep it
from dying within a few weeks anyhow, and even if you could stop the
infection, the scar tissue would be ugly. The tail would never grow back,
as badly eroded as it is. Sorry.

You would not want the fish to die in the pond and have the other fish
consume it and spread the disease. Keep an eye on the other fish.
--
RichToyBox

Old 05-08-2005, 06:57 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 18:29:23 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

On closer inspection the lower half of the tailfin is missing I
searched around and think it may be Fin rot.

http://www.landshapes.btinternet.co....804-175907.jpg

Do you think it is worth treating or would euthanasia be the kindest
solution.

I agree with RTB. Also, when fish are infected like this, if the other fish
mistakenly eat the feces of such infected fish they are quite prone to
getting mouth rot. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 05-08-2005, 02:04 PM
Roy

You really need to shove that lymnozyme as it sure is not the cure all
you profess it to be.......

I agree with RTB and JJ......Sometimes you have to draw the line as to
treatments beinbg worth it or not, and the valuse of the fish and
consequences it can have along with other fish.

At the least, it needs to be separated from the others. Then treat
with a course of meds that you have available. Which brings up more
problems in respect to what is readily available in the USA as
compared to Canada, and the UK......Seems there is quite a bit of
difference between the USA and UK meds that are readily available, but
I would look for an antibiotic, but from your pic that fish would
definately be better off put down.

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 16:44:26 -0500, "Reel Mckoi"
wrote:

===
wrote in message
===news:49n4f1hs5pvqhafaugavtg52ivcb7jb7ro@4ax. com...
=== I've only just noticed this fish swimming oddly and hiding in amongst
=== the shallows.
===
=== On closer inspection the lower half of the tailfin is missing I
=== searched around and think it may be Fin rot.
===
=== http://www.landshapes.btinternet.co....804-175907.jpg
=============================================== ===
===It sure looks like some kind of infection. Lymnozyme to the rescue!

"The original frugal ponder"

Old 05-08-2005, 05:40 PM
Reel Mckoi

wrote in message
Thanks for your comments,
all the best

Bob

==============
I hope you do the right thing and uthanize (sp?) this fish. And seriously,
since I've been using LymnoZyme not one of my fish has had a bacterial
infection. They get pretty badly scraped up during spawning and in a week
or less they're all healed up! And no I don't sell this product or have
stock in the company. It's one of the few products I've used that works and
isn't all hype.

Old 07-08-2005, 08:16 AM
Greg Cooper

I could not view your picture -link broken.
But you may be able to save your fish by removing it to a "hospital tank".

This year I had one of several small fish I had added die in the pond
only I did not know it. Its decay cause one of my established fish to
get fin rot. I removed it to a separate hospital tank (a large garbage
bin).
I filled it with pond water, added salt .33% (2.5lb/100gal) and raise
the temperature to increase metabolism and added an air stone. I also
treated the water with potassium permanganate to oxidize any bacteria.
I also treated the pond as well. In two weeks I was able to return the
fish to the pond and he is doing fine.

Good luck with yours.

rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 08:56 PM
Goldfish Fin Rot Help.... d t Ponds 1 22-04-2005 04:01 PM
Goldfish fin rot pixi Ponds 4 30-03-2005 08:53 PM
Fin Rot Sir Douglas Cook Freshwater Aquaria Plants 14 20-06-2004 11:07 PM
Koi missing Pectoral fin! Bob Ponds 8 12-08-2003 04:43 PM