Old 17-09-2005, 08:38 AM
Broadback

Default Problem with liner overlay

I am constructing a wild life pond, so purchased liner plus 2 underlays.
Having carefully laid all three, placed some stones and soil on the
bottom I proceeded to fill. Unfortunately the "overlay seems to want to
float, and bellows up from the sides, though I keep pushing it down with
a pole it has a tendency to come back up again. Any solutions please?
admittedly every time I push it down it seems to come up less, do I just
need to keep persevering?
Old 17-09-2005, 01:04 PM
Dan

Broadback wrote:
I am constructing a wild life pond, so purchased liner plus 2 underlays.
Having carefully laid all three, placed some stones and soil on the
bottom I proceeded to fill. Unfortunately the "overlay seems to want to
float, and bellows up from the sides, though I keep pushing it down with
a pole it has a tendency to come back up again. Any solutions please?
admittedly every time I push it down it seems to come up less, do I just
need to keep persevering?

I've never heard of complelely covering the liner with another layer of
underlayment, only using pieces under large rocks. Isn't that going to
be a real bear to clean?
Old 17-09-2005, 04:30 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 08:38:16 +0100, Broadback wrote:

I am constructing a wild life pond, so purchased liner plus 2 underlays.
Having carefully laid all three, placed some stones and soil on the
bottom I proceeded to fill. Unfortunately the "overlay seems to want to
float, and bellows up from the sides, though I keep pushing it down with
a pole it has a tendency to come back up again. Any solutions please?
admittedly every time I push it down it seems to come up less, do I just
need to keep persevering?

Do I understand correctly you put underlay in the pond? If so it is
UNDERlay, meaning to go UNDER the liner only. ~ jan

Old 17-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Broadback" wrote in message
I am constructing a wild life pond, so purchased liner plus 2 underlays.
Having carefully laid all three, placed some stones and soil on the bottom
I proceeded to fill. Unfortunately the "overlay seems to want to float,
and bellows up from the sides, though I keep pushing it down with a pole it
has a tendency to come back up again. Any solutions please? admittedly
every time I push it down it seems to come up less, do I just need to keep
persevering?

=======================
Overlay? There is nothing that goes over the pond liner itself. Maybe I'm
misunderstanding you.
--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 18-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Broadback

Reel Mckoi wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message

I am constructing a wild life pond, so purchased liner plus 2
underlays. Having carefully laid all three, placed some stones and
soil on the bottom I proceeded to fill. Unfortunately the "overlay
seems to want to float, and bellows up from the sides, though I keep
pushing it down with a pole it has a tendency to come back up again.
Any solutions please? admittedly every time I push it down it seems to
come up less, do I just need to keep persevering?

=======================
Overlay? There is nothing that goes over the pond liner itself. Maybe
I'm misunderstanding you.

I spent some time looking for help on the net with setting up a wild
life pond. A number of sources recommended placing underlay both above
and below the pod liner. that above is to protect it because soil and
stones are put in for a wild life pond. so it seems perhaps I was given
bad advice (2 of these from liner manufacturers). Well it is too late
now there is no way I can empty it and start again. Sigh. Oh well such
is life.

Old 18-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Broadback" wrote in message
Reel Mckoi wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message

[...]

=====================
You can't drain it? We drain and clean our ponds at least every 2 years
because if you don't the mulm and other crud builds up on the bottom. This
mulm becomes a foul smelling mess in time and eventually will fill a pond
in, just like in nature. Just remove the stones and drain it down using the
filter's pump. Remove the under-layment you put over the liner and refill.
Or bail it out using a bucket if you don't have a water pump. Yes, I do
believe someone have you some bad advice. :-(

Old 18-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Rodney Pont

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 14:12:42 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Overlay? There is nothing that goes over the pond liner itself. Maybe
I'm misunderstanding you.

I spent some time looking for help on the net with setting up a wild
life pond. A number of sources recommended placing underlay both above
and below the pod liner. that above is to protect it because soil and
stones are put in for a wild life pond. so it seems perhaps I was given
bad advice (2 of these from liner manufacturers). Well it is too late
now there is no way I can empty it and start again. Sigh. Oh well such
is life.

As I see it you now have two choices. You can either pull the
over-underlay out or buy a bag of gravel and just throw handfuls in
around the pond after pushing it down. Some of the smaller plants may
use it to root in and it may make it easier for frogs to climb out.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old 18-09-2005, 06:19 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

"Broadback" wrote in message
I spent some time looking for help on the net with setting up a wild life
pond. A number of sources recommended placing underlay both above and
below the pod liner. that above is to protect it because soil and stones
are put in for a wild life pond. so it seems perhaps I was given bad
advice (2 of these from liner manufacturers). Well it is too late now
there is no way I can empty it and start again. Sigh. Oh well such is
life.

If you have rocks on it, why is it floating? ~ jan

Old 18-09-2005, 08:42 PM
Broadback

Rodney Pont wrote:

[...]

The problem is not the horizontal bits but the steep sloping ones.
Looks like a solution might be to strip to swimming trunks, put on soft
shoes and wade in to cut off the vertical bits. What are the chances of
damaging the liner if I walk on tippy-toes?
Old 18-09-2005, 09:05 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

The problem is not the horizontal bits but the steep sloping ones.
Looks like a solution might be to strip to swimming trunks, put on soft
shoes and wade in to cut off the vertical bits. What are the chances of
damaging the liner if I walk on tippy-toes?

If this is 45 ml epdm, none. I walk in my ponds all the time. No over or
underlays. I suppose if you walked on a rock with a very sharp point into
the liner, there is potential for a problem, but it would have to be very,
very sharp, and a hard surface underneath. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 18-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Broadback" wrote in message

The problem is not the horizontal bits but the steep sloping ones. Looks
like a solution might be to strip to swimming trunks, put on soft shoes
and wade in to cut off the vertical bits. What are the chances of
damaging the liner if I walk on tippy-toes?

=====================
I walk in my ponds as needed and never punctured them. I wear sneakers in
the ponds as they seem to give me a better footing on the slippery liner.

Old 19-09-2005, 09:40 AM
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

re floating liner OVERlay

I would and did use sand as an overlay, the pond works fine. I would suggest lifting the material over lay and replace it with sand
Old 19-09-2005, 06:59 PM
~Roy

I have seen one pond with a carpet underliner, EDPM liner and more
pieces of carpet laid on the top of the liner with the pretext it
would give more area for silt and dirt etc to accumulate wo plants
wold spread and grow out of...This was not too deep a pond (less than
18" or so IIRC, and it was mainly intended as a small bog and wildlife
setup and the hopes things would grow and accumulate that it would
become a sort of marsh. The carpet over the top of the liner was also
supposedly so the owner could easily (yea right) pull it out and
remove most of what was accumulated and growoing in there if they
decided to change to a total fish pond later on.....Ever try and pull
or lift out detrius and mulm laden wet carpet...........

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:40:35 +0000, sean mckinney
wrote:

===
===re floating liner OVERlay
===
===I would and did use sand as an overlay, the pond works fine. I would
===suggest lifting the material over lay and replace it with sand

"The original frugal ponder"