Old 24-11-2005, 01:55 PM posted to rec.ponds
John Burton

Default I thinnk I have a leak in my pond

I've had a pond in my back yard for some three years now, with pond
lilly's water iris and a few other plants growing around.

Problem is, this pond seems to be losing water at an abnormally rapid
rate, perhaps as fast as 2 inches in a week. Now I'm reasonably certain
it's not due to *evaporation*, the weather here is in the 30's and 40's,
dropping down in to the 20's at night.

The water is some 3 1/2 feet deep at the deeper end, so the fish
(Comets) are doing just fine, I've been running the waterfall, but I
guess I'll be turning it off now, it's about that time of year.

At any rate, I think I have a leak.. What do I look for to locate this
leak and then, how do I fix it?

Thanks, and happy Thanksgiving Day (or thursday if that's your fare)...
Old 24-11-2005, 03:10 PM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy

I would look around the wtaer fall area for the leak first off.
Waterfalls are notorious for loss of water in most cases. I assume
your pond is a liner type. Top off the pond, shut down the water fall
and see if the pond still loses water. If not its in the water fall
area, if it does about all you can do is allow it to drop down and
watch it carefully so it does not go dry and the water loss will stop
where the leak is at, hopefully up high along the edges as compared to
down deeper....YOu can drip in milk or heavy cream with a turkey
baster around the edges and watch for any flow of current a sizeable
leak would create, but that method is iffy at most.....This itme of
year is not good to have apond with a leak, not that a leak is good
any other time, but it certainly needs attention before the pond may
freeze over. Lots of luck........and give that waterfall a good going
over.

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 08:55:28 -0500, John Burton
wrote:

===I've had a pond in my back yard for some three years now, with pond
===lilly's water iris and a few other plants growing around.
===
===Problem is, this pond seems to be losing water at an abnormally rapid
===rate, perhaps as fast as 2 inches in a week. Now I'm reasonably certain
===it's not due to *evaporation*, the weather here is in the 30's and 40's,
===dropping down in to the 20's at night.
===
===The water is some 3 1/2 feet deep at the deeper end, so the fish
===(Comets) are doing just fine, I've been running the waterfall, but I
===guess I'll be turning it off now, it's about that time of year.
===
===At any rate, I think I have a leak.. What do I look for to locate this
===leak and then, how do I fix it?
===
===Thanks, and happy Thanksgiving Day (or thursday if that's your fare)...

This is worth repeating for benefit of all newbies!
Jo Ann asked Dr. Solo to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold
the business to Ken Fischer http://dandyorandas.com/) she has NOT retired from
helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for
diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas
Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS
Old 24-11-2005, 03:39 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"John Burton" wrote in message
I've had a pond in my back yard for some three years now, with pond
lilly's water iris and a few other plants growing around.

Problem is, this pond seems to be losing water at an abnormally rapid
rate, perhaps as fast as 2 inches in a week.

================================
My ponds lose that much when the weather has been on the dry side (low
humidity, especially if there's a wind.). It may just be normal evaporation
in your pond as well. I would not want to have to find a leak in one of my
pond's liners. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:

Old 24-11-2005, 07:31 PM posted to rec.ponds
G & K Meyer

I have that much drop in our ponds lots of weeks here in Colorado. I have
just turned off our water fall and just running the very bottom pump to
circulate water and it has dropped about 3-4" in the last week and 1/2. It
seems to depend on the wind and weather.! I will be ordering a air pump
this year and turning off all our water pumps try to conserve on electric
bill.
I would check around the pond/falls to see if you have spillage out of
the system. We had that this summer, one of the potted plants had been
moved and caused the water to flow differently and forced it up over the
edge of the liner. We thought we where filling more than normal, took a
couple weeks to see where yard was getting really wet but just move a few
things around and took care of it....

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving to you.

--

"Learn Something From Every One You Meet"
JuicePlusPlus.com

Pre Formed Pond Leak Judi9000 Ponds 4 22-01-2004 04:20 PM
pond leak- help JLu3140998 Ponds 9 02-10-2003 12:42 AM
leak in concrete pond - a little help? Big Bill Ponds 6 06-08-2003 07:22 PM
Leak in pond PSupez Ponds 2 27-07-2003 03:22 PM