Old 15-03-2006, 02:33 PM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

Default New Pond about finished.

Well it had started out to be a 3,500 gal lined pond, that I started
on last year right next to our patio, but then it got put on hold for
a bit, as the wife gave me permission to build a new shop, and to be
honest, the shop would be best situated in that area where the new
pond was going to be.....So filled in the hole, regraded, started to
get list of materials to start on new shop, but it got pushed back on
the back burner, so this past Sunday the wife comes home with a 160
gal preform (I think its a 160 preform or it may be a 220 gal) but
anayhow, she tells me she wants it by the patio and it will fit in
that area between patio and shop projected site, and it will give her
more room for her tropicals.....

Nothing fancey, just a preform with a Mag drive 5 pulling water
through a filter box, and out a bell fountain, with a spitter on the
side, with Black Gamecock iris, canna's, water celery, lilys, and a
few other plants....

It will soon be time around this part to move the tropicals out of the
house and into the water features she has. Its unreal how tropicals
grow when house doutside during the warm months....NOw she is wanting
to bring up her 4 favorite ish from the one large ponds enclosure....2
Wakins and 2 black moors......The wakins are about 6 inches or better,
and the black moors are huge......One wakin has my wifes initials on
its side. On one side it has red scales forming the letter T and on
the other side it has red scaled forming the letter J.......Its really
one odd fish that just happened to have her initials on it. The two
black moors, Hoover and Eureka are just fat pigs, that if they were
able to would set on the couch with her.

I had removed a pond for a lady in town one day last year, and she had
pulled all the fish out and put them in buckets, and the water was
stirred up and murky, so I oculd not get a real good look ata the
fish, but I got all the plumbing, lights, pumps filters etc, and the
fish were a bonus. She said she did not realize it, but there are a
few fish that are kind of deformed, and she did not have the heart to
kill em.....but they were in the buckets, and I shold do what had to
be done with them.

I dumped them all in a QT tank (concrete burial vault) that I have
set up, and those deformed fish were actually Wakins........nothing
deformed, about them at all......

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....

Old 17-03-2006, 01:51 PM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

Yea, I agree, but the majority of the year they get to stay in the
large natural ponds enclosure (large area of natural pond sectioned
off with aquatic mesh) . She moves her favorite's up near the house
in a water feature with filtered water so she can see them
better....last year they were in much much smaller features. We were
going to build a large koi pond. Already had lots of the stuff needed
bought, and the hole dug. Plans change.......I think it will be large
enough though for them to hang out in during the summer months.
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 03:22:21 -0500, "kc"
wrote:
Wow, that seems a small pond (220 gallons) for fish over 6 inches....
. ..

Old 17-03-2006, 07:26 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Roy wrote:
wife comes home with a 160 preform or it may be a 220 gal

to bring up her 4 favorite ish from the one large ponds enclosure....2
Wakins and 2 black moors......The wakins are about 6 inches or better,
and the black moors are huge......One wakin has my wifes initials on

On Fri, 17 Mar "kc" replied:

Wow, that seems a small pond (220 gallons) for fish over 6 inches....
"Roy" wrote in message

4 goldfish, even of that size, should do fine in that many gallons (imo).
All standard water quality comments apply, of course. Shouldn't be a
problem with the amount of plants the plan is calling for, except it will
reduce the gallonage. ;o) ~ jan

~ jan/WA
Zone 7a
Old 17-03-2006, 10:58 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Roy" wrote in message

4 goldfish, even of that size, should do fine in that many gallons (imo).
All standard water quality comments apply, of course. Shouldn't be a
problem with the amount of plants the plan is calling for, except it will
reduce the gallonage. ;o) ~ jan

Jan, if you have Pennywort (Thai call "bua bok") in your garden, dig some
out, rinse off the dirt and drop them in your pond. They thrive, but not
rank, they're a good hiding place for fry and they taste good in salads!

Old 18-03-2006, 05:37 PM posted to rec.ponds

I am going to see if hosta will grow in the filter this year. Ingrid

~ janj wrote:

On 17 Mar 2006 22:58:08 GMT, wrote:

Jan, if you have Pennywort (Thai call "bua bok") in your garden, dig some
out, rinse off the dirt and drop them in your pond. They thrive, but not
rank, they're a good hiding place for fry and they taste good in salads!

Don't grow that one, but after googling for it, I have seen it in some
ponds (I think). Says it is good for arthritis, hmmmm.... ;o) ~ jan

~ jan/WA
Zone 7a

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Old 18-03-2006, 05:56 PM posted to rec.ponds
Richard Sexton

In article ,
wrote:
I am going to see if hosta will grow in the filter this year. Ingrid

I tried that on my river. Didn't work. Blue or yellow iris work well though,
massiviley hevy feeders, just what you need. Hosts grow too slowly by comprison
and don't like wet feet. Moist, but not standing water.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 18-03-2006, 07:51 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

wrote in message
I am going to see if hosta will grow in the filter this year.

==================
Hostas need damp but well drained soil or suffer root rot. Pickerel weed or
yellow water iris would work better. Remove the excess and compost as
needed.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 18-03-2006, 10:44 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

In article ,
wrote:
I am going to see if hosta will grow in the filter this year. Ingrid

I tried that on my river. Didn't work. Blue or yellow iris work well though,
massiviley hevy feeders, just what you need. Hosts grow too slowly by comprison
and don't like wet feet. Moist, but not standing water.

Don't forget bulbs. Now's the time to get spring bulbs. Put them around the
edges in the rocks (perhaps a planter close to the surface in a veggie
filter?). I found out this one bulb that did wonderful for me last year,
was related to gladiolus. ~ jan

~ jan/WA
Zone 7a

Old 19-03-2006, 01:05 AM posted to rec.ponds
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Our irises multiplied like crazy in the veggie filters. Three or four
became twenty plus.

Jim

--
See our pond at: home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/pwp-jameshurley
Ask me about Jog A Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 20-03-2006, 07:51 AM posted to rec.ponds
Richard Sexton

In article ,
wrote:
yes, mine do too. but they are potted up. I want to put the hostas bare root in the
water flow. Ingrid

If I read "in the water flow" as not being the same as "submersed roots",
that is the rots have some exposure to air, then that might work. What
I would do is get some of that clay ball hydroponic media and let the water
flow over that and plant the hostas in there.

Alisma plantago aqutica is a better choice though, it looks like a radican
sword and *likes* "wet feet"; grows quickly to the point of being a weed.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net