Old 14-04-2006, 04:50 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Frogs.... and noise

My desk is by an open window. The pond is no more than 15' from this
window. Noisy frogs? I'm glad this isn't my bedroom window. As much as I
like to hear them they can "get to me" after a few hours. Two of them out
there are quite loud and almost sound like screaming women.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 14-04-2006, 06:23 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 22:50:48 -0500, "Koi-Lo" wrote:

My desk is by an open window. The pond is no more than 15' from this
window. Noisy frogs? I'm glad this isn't my bedroom window. As much as I
like to hear them they can "get to me" after a few hours. Two of them out
there are quite loud and almost sound like screaming women.

The ones here sound very much like crickets in slow-motion, they can be
loud. My frog-hating neighbors have complained enough times now, that I go
out each night and catch as many as I can. 7 tonight, 26 total.
Unfortunately this year it isn't making much of a dent. Tonight I thought I
had them all, and was surprised 30 minutes later to hear more frogs, almost
as loud.

And what will this come down to? Well, if the city gets involved I could
have to fill in my pond. So I'm planning to put the goldfish back in the
pond this weekend. I'll remove some eggs, to grow else where, but it looks
like I'll need to stop this hobby until these freak-of-nature neighbors (or
myself) move..... ~ jan

-----------------
Old 14-04-2006, 12:59 PM posted to rec.ponds

you need a barrier of some kind to keep em out of the pond in spring. Ingrid

~ janj wrote:
And what will this come down to? Well, if the city gets involved I could
have to fill in my pond. So I'm planning to put the goldfish back in the
pond this weekend. I'll remove some eggs, to grow else where, but it looks
like I'll need to stop this hobby until these freak-of-nature neighbors (or
myself) move..... ~ jan

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 14-04-2006, 01:15 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman

~ janj wrote:
[...]

It would be a shame if it came to you having to fill in the
pond(s)....are you sure someone isn't adding them back in? Do you get on
OK with this neighbour in general? Maybe it would be worth a chat...

Old 14-04-2006, 02:23 PM posted to rec.ponds,alt.religion.jehovahs-witn,alt.free.newsservers

Desk....
open window....

very interesting...

15' from your window...

watch how she will call the imaginary police now.

hey Carol... boo

Old 14-04-2006, 02:46 PM posted to rec.ponds,alt.religion.jehovahs-witn,alt.free.newsservers
Roy

Good one............I bet its a real bitch to go through life being
so paranoid as Carol is.

Koi-Lo wrote:
My desk is by an open window. The pond is no more than 15' from this
window. Noisy frogs? I'm glad this isn't my bedroom window. As much as I
like to hear them they can "get to me" after a few hours. Two of them out
there are quite loud and almost sound like screaming women.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
Aquariums since 1952.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
*Note: There are two Koi-Lo's on the pond & aquaria Groups.*
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....
Old 14-04-2006, 03:27 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

It would be a shame if it came to you having to fill in the
pond(s)....are you sure someone isn't adding them back in?

Quite sure.

Do you get on OK with this neighbour in general? Maybe it would be worth a chat...

Did, and have had chats.

People talk a good game about saving nature, I didn't realize it too was
"not in my backyard". hrrumpt! ~ jan

-----------------
Old 14-04-2006, 04:23 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

wrote:

My desk is by an open window. The pond is no more than 15' from this
window. Noisy frogs? I'm glad this isn't my bedroom window. As much as
like to hear them they can "get to me" after a few hours. Two of them out
there are quite loud and almost sound like screaming women.

The ones here sound very much like crickets in slow-motion, they can be
loud. My frog-hating neighbors have complained enough times now, that I go
out each night and catch as many as I can. 7 tonight, 26 total.

The number of frogs in your pond is awfully high. Where do they all come
from since you are obviously in a subdivision? We live in a rural area and
don't get anywhere near that many. The bullfrogs were relocated as I would
catch them so their numbers are dropping these past few years. The small
green-gray tree frogs are most numerous but not that loud. Then there are
these small green frogs that are almost impossible to find as they hide so
well - and shriek long and loud. Now they would irritate the most devout
frog fancier after a few hours. All in all we have several types of frog
here and all have a different "song." Most are not irritating at all. By 2
AM all is quiet out there. We do have neighbors but they're not that close.
The one woman (they moved a few years ago) said they could hear our frogs
but they were too far to be annoying or keep them awake. The new family
there are putting in a small 100g pond of their own.

Unfortunately this year it isn't making much of a dent. Tonight I thought
had them all, and was surprised 30 minutes later to hear more frogs,
almost
as loud.

This must be very frustrating for you. You can't remove them all as there's
a source somewhere repopulating your pond. :-(

And what will this come down to? Well, if the city gets involved I could
have to fill in my pond. So I'm planning to put the goldfish back in the
pond this weekend. I'll remove some eggs, to grow else where, but it looks
like I'll need to stop this hobby until these freak-of-nature neighbors
(or
myself) move..... ~ jan

I hope you can cut the population as we did with the bullfrogs. Keep
relocating the eggs and adults and any pollywogs (yes I would net any eggs
and tads and take them to the nearby lake). It may help.

That's why we sold the house in town and moved out here. There were too
many rules and regulations in town. One day you realize you're more like a
renter than a property owner. Out here they leave you alone........
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 14-04-2006, 04:25 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

wrote in message
you need a barrier of some kind to keep em out of the pond in spring.
Ingrid

=====================
A fine bird net would work but Jan doesn't want to net her pond.

Old 14-04-2006, 05:24 PM posted to rec.ponds
Mister Gardener

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 10:25:18 -0500, "Koi-Lo"
wrote:

wrote in message
you need a barrier of some kind to keep em out of the pond in spring.
Ingrid

=====================
A fine bird net would work but Jan doesn't want to net her pond.

In very recent years, I have noticed in the terrestrial gardening
literature a caution about using netting over garden beds, concern
over birds becoming entangled, I think. In some of the garden catalogs
I am beginning to read descriptions of "bird safe" netting. Bird
proofing my strawberries with bird safe netting sounds almost like an
oxymoron to me. I can understand the concern, what little I know of
it. Is there any mention of this kind of thinking in the pond
literature?

-- Mister Gardener

Everything Aquaria & Tropical Fish at The Krib:
http://www.thekrib.com/
For Killfile FAQs visit
http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killfile/killfilefaq.htm

Old 14-04-2006, 05:36 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

wrote:

wrote in message
you need a barrier of some kind to keep em out of the pond in spring.
Ingrid

=====================
A fine bird net would work but Jan doesn't want to net her pond.

In very recent years, I have noticed in the terrestrial gardening
literature a caution about using netting over garden beds, concern
over birds becoming entangled, I think.

But I've read about them falling into ponds and drowning. I've seen small
birds eaten by bullfrogs when they came to drink from one of our ponds. The
nets stopped both ways birds lost their lives. We've had one goldfinch get
tangled and lose it's life so far, and several water snakes. Without the
nets I wouldn't be able to keep fish. Being I feed the birds all winter
long I'm sure I more than made up for that poor little finch.

In some of the garden catalogs
I am beginning to read descriptions of "bird safe" netting. Bird
proofing my strawberries with bird safe netting sounds almost like an
oxymoron to me. I can understand the concern, what little I know of
it. Is there any mention of this kind of thinking in the pond
literature?

Not that I saw.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 14-04-2006, 10:43 PM posted to rec.ponds

I wish I had some frogs and toads. But I never get any.

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

Old 14-04-2006, 11:04 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

wrote in message
.net...
I wish I had some frogs and toads. But I never get any.

================
You can often buy pollywogs in pet shops that sell pond supplies. That
should get you started. If your yard is suitable they may come back to
breed when mature.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 15-04-2006, 12:16 AM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Koi-Lo wrote:

But I've read about them falling into ponds and drowning.

I've had one sparrow drown in a pond (well, only one that I found - perhaps
the other wildlife has taken care of others). My fault - it was an old
bathtub, and it would be impossible to get out of before the parrot feather
grew up and over the edges. Once I made sure that there were always ways
to get out of the water, I never had another death that way.

I've seen small birds eaten by bullfrogs

I'm not concerned about that - that's part of pond life - but it's a fair
concern for some.

We've had one goldfinch get
tangled and lose it's life so far, and several water snakes. Without the
nets I wouldn't be able to keep fish. Being I feed the birds all winter
long I'm sure I more than made up for that poor little finch.

I lose more birds than that on my windows every year, despite all we've done
to try to stop it. You can't eliminate all mortality :-(
--
derek
Old 15-04-2006, 01:59 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

The number of frogs in your pond is awfully high. Where do they all come
from since you are obviously in a subdivision?

The neighborhood use to be semi-rural, I'm in the city limits, but when we
moved here, 19 years ago, there was 10-20 acres of desert behind us. We
were in walking distance of orchards. I'm in walking distance of a large
natural preserve/delta river area. Many lined ponds around me also have
frogs, including the house behind me, unfortunately their pond is in front.
For 5-6 years the frogs have been welcome in my lily pond, so between
myself and neighbors, and just the general area, that's where they're all
coming from.

I hope you can cut the population as we did with the bullfrogs. Keep
relocating the eggs and adults and any pollywogs (yes I would net any eggs
and tads and take them to the nearby lake). It may help.

In my case, I plan to move the eggs elsewhere, as I have some people
interested in tads/eggs, then put the goldfish back in. They will eat
anything new, or that I miss. Then I'll continue catching the males. What
will really sadden me? When I work it in the garden I almost always come
across one thru out the summer. Always made me smile.

There were too many rules and regulations in town.

Generally I prefer the rules & regs. unfortunately some people don't
understand tolerance or compromise living near others... or it is a case
you tolerate us, but we're gonna give you heck if you bother us. ~ jan