Old 23-06-2006, 02:50 PM
AlecTPR's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Manchester, UK
Default New pond

I've had a new pond that I've put in about 2 weeks now and it's about time to put some fishes in it.

It's a 1000 litre item, 2 1/2 foot deep with a decent enough pump and filter (and uv bit).

I'm probably going to just put goldfish in it, something hardy, but I've had various suggestions.

Should I go out and buy a job lot of 10 - 12 all in one go.

or buy 5 - 6 wait a couple of weeks then add another 6.

Guessing fors and against for each.
For buying a job lot, they might not fight as much, but if one has an infection, they'll all get it.
thanks in advance

AlecTPR
Old 23-06-2006, 03:00 PM
AlecTPR's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Manchester, UK

Just uploaded a pic for your purusal.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...R/Dscf0706.jpg
Old 23-06-2006, 03:08 PM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy~

Looks good, but I would not overload it right off with a bunch of
fish., as its going to take a bit of time for the biological portio of
the filter to come up to speed.......From what I have read and been
told it can take 4 to 6 weeks until the filter is up to speed, but
adding a few now shuld not be a problem.
What brand filter is that, A Hozelock Bio-Force or Laguna or other?

Old 23-06-2006, 04:22 PM posted to rec.ponds

first, let the pond go green and water warm up.
this is a 250 gallon pond, so it is big enough for a few goldfish. if you have
winter where you live how are you going to keep the pond from freezing?
it is best to buy a few, wait, buy a few more. GF dont fight, but you are correct,
they do spread infections. see here for how to buy GF.
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/c...new%20goldfish

AlecTPR wrote:
I've had a new pond that I've put in about 2 weeks now and it's about
time to put some fishes in it.

It's a 1000 litre item, 2 1/2 foot deep with a decent enough pump and
filter (and uv bit).

I'm probably going to just put goldfish in it, something hardy, but
I've had various suggestions.

Should I go out and buy a job lot of 10 - 12 all in one go.

or buy 5 - 6 wait a couple of weeks then add another 6.

Guessing fors and against for each.
For buying a job lot, they might not fight as much, but if one has an
infection, they'll all get it.
thanks in advance

AlecTPR

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 23-06-2006, 04:27 PM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy~

Fer gods sake go to a petstore like yur local ,mom andpop or petco or
petsmart and but fish that look healthy and have no sores or
redstreaks or clamped fin, or missing or torn up fins and tails with
fungus. Its not rocket science like Dr. Solo would like to have you
believe....She is the same buffoon that says bird shit screwsup fish
too, and goes to extreme methods to keep birds from shitting in her
pond..............yea, a large build up of bird droppings may, but to
make a pind bird proof is assinine........like most other posts of
hers. I have to think she is ore of a "quack" than a Doc
type........nothing like being stuck on ones self is ther?

AlecTPR wrote:
I've had a new pond that I've put in about 2 weeks now and it's about
time to put some fishes in it.

It's a 1000 litre item, 2 1/2 foot deep with a decent enough pump and
filter (and uv bit).

I'm probably going to just put goldfish in it, something hardy, but
I've had various suggestions.

Should I go out and buy a job lot of 10 - 12 all in one go.

or buy 5 - 6 wait a couple of weeks then add another 6.

Guessing fors and against for each.
For buying a job lot, they might not fight as much, but if one has an
infection, they'll all get it.
thanks in advance

AlecTPR

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

Old 23-06-2006, 04:35 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"AlecTPR" wrote in message

I've had a new pond that I've put in about 2 weeks now and it's about
time to put some fishes in it.
It's a 1000 litre item, 2 1/2 foot deep with a decent enough pump and
filter (and uv bit).
I'm probably going to just put goldfish in it, something hardy, but
I've had various suggestions.

It's too small for koi. Stick with goldfish. Rosy reds are also nice in a
pond. They're also very cheap.

Should I go out and buy a job lot of 10 - 12 all in one go.
or buy 5 - 6 wait a couple of weeks then add another 6.

Add a few at a time. Keep in mind they do breed so you will have more in
the future. :-) Also, goldfish do get large with good care and clean water.
They can reach almost 12" long.

Guessing fors and against for each.
For buying a job lot, they might not fight as much, but if one has an
infection, they'll all get it.
thanks in advance

That's always a chance we take buying new fish. I quarantine everything I
bring in for 14 to 21 days. One diseased fish can wipe out a whole
collection.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 23-06-2006, 04:36 PM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy~

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:35:39 -0500, "Koi-Lo" the dumbass wrote:

*Note: There is only one asshole named "Koi-Lo on the pond and aquaria groups.

This one and only koi lo puked up the following nonsense.

"AlecTPR" wrote in message

I've had a new pond that I've put in about 2 weeks now and it's about
time to put some fishes in it.
It's a 1000 litre item, 2 1/2 foot deep with a decent enough pump and
filter (and uv bit).
I'm probably going to just put goldfish in it, something hardy, but
I've had various suggestions.

It's too small for koi. Stick with goldfish. Rosy reds are also nice in a
pond. They're also very cheap.

There never was no mentio nof koi being added asshole........get a
****ing clue carol gully why be an asshole allyur 65 years of life.
There s time to gert right, but yur gonna have to hurry.

Should I go out and buy a job lot of 10 - 12 all in one go.
or buy 5 - 6 wait a couple of weeks then add another 6.

Add a few at a time. Keep in mind they do breed so you will have more in
the future. :-) Also, goldfish do get large with good care and clean water.
They can reach almost 12" long.

What do you do take this individual tobe as stupid as you and your
socks. You sure are a ****ing bossey bitch ain't ya I bet your a real
class act in person.......

Old 23-06-2006, 05:24 PM posted to rec.ponds
Rodney Pont

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 13:50:01 +0000, AlecTPR wrote:

I've had a new pond that I've put in about 2 weeks now and it's about
time to put some fishes in it.

It's a 1000 litre item, 2 1/2 foot deep with a decent enough pump and
filter (and uv bit).

I'm probably going to just put goldfish in it, something hardy, but
I've had various suggestions.

Goldfish are pretty hardy depending on where you are in the UK. In
North Yorkshire we don't get more than a thin layer of ice and that
won't be a problem providing you have some way to keep the surface open
so that they can breathe. You waterfall will do that very nicely
providing we don't get a really hard frost, it wouldn't freeze with the
recent winters we have had here.

Rosy Reds are a licenced fish in the UK and the seller must have a
licence so you may find it difficult to get them. Koi grow as large as
2-3 feet so they are out.

Should I go out and buy a job lot of 10 - 12 all in one go.

or buy 5 - 6 wait a couple of weeks then add another 6.

You would be best to put just two at a time in and monitor the ammonia
with a test kit. It will rise and then fall again as the bacteria get
growing and then you can add another two and watch the cycle again.

There is a stocking calculator at
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...pages/home.php and you can
read about ammonia and nitrates there if you are new to them.

I like the pond but the filter and hose stands out a bit at the moment
:-)
I'd shorten the outlet hose so that it looks a bit less intrusive, it
also slows down the pump flow unbelievably and the longer it is the
worse. We replaced out flexible hose with solid waste pipe and got 40%
more flow.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old 23-06-2006, 05:57 PM posted to rec.ponds
HawgFish

Yea the hose may look intrusive but with a UVC type pressureized
filter its important to get the flow down to the range it is
recomenmded to be at, and thats usually a lot less than what the
actual output of the pump is listed at, so its a good idea to use a
bucket and do a timed fillup of bucket of known capacity and see what
the discharge rate is at the water fall height. Slower is usually
better when it involves a UVC pressurized filter. You may be surprised
it should really be cut down on the flow even more even mnore than its
flowing now. Example. Hozelock Bio F0rce 1000 is rated at 1000 gph
flow, but add a pump (Cyprio Titan 800 is whats recomended with this
BF1000 filter, ) and the booklet on the unit says flow must be
regulated to a MAXIMUM of 500 gph for proper filtration and UVC use.
So, it means longer hose lengths, higher water fall, a valve after
pump but before filter unit if filter unit has a pressure indicator,
it maya gice a false reading if the valve is placed after
filter.........So check yur gph or whatever measurement you all use
in UK to make sure its not flowing too fast for optimol results.

To get flow GPH of pump after filter fill a known capacity
container..like say a 5 gal bucket, and time it in how long it takes
to fill that container.....Example 60 seconds to fill a 5 gal
container with hose end at 20" above water level, or a total of 44"
above pump itself. Divide 3600 by the amount of time it took to fill
bucket (in seconds) 3600 divided by 60 = GPH which would equarte to
gph of flow at this height.

You will probably find most pressurized filters recomend 1/2 of their
max rated flow rate is whats needed when using UVC.

And just for the record, if you got this far, I'm Roy.....;-) Kill
filters mean nothing

Old 23-06-2006, 07:33 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 14:00:12 +0000, AlecTPR wrote:

Just uploaded a pic for your purusal.

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../Dscf0706.jpg]

Very nice! Personally I wouldn't bother with comets, I'd get either 3
fantails, wakins, sarassa or shubunkin goldfish and let them breed.
~ jan www.jjspond.us
-----------------

Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium

Old 23-06-2006, 08:45 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gail Futoran

"AlecTPR" wrote in message

I've had a new pond that I've put in about 2 weeks now and it's about
time to put some fishes in it.

It's a 1000 litre item, 2 1/2 foot deep with a decent enough pump and
filter (and uv bit).

I'm probably going to just put goldfish in it, something hardy, but
I've had various suggestions.

Should I go out and buy a job lot of 10 - 12 all in one go.

or buy 5 - 6 wait a couple of weeks then add another 6.

Guessing fors and against for each.
For buying a job lot, they might not fight as much, but if one has an
infection, they'll all get it.
thanks in advance

AlecTPR

Goldfish will breed like rabbits, if conditions
are ok. I would start with just a few and see
how they do. If you're concerned about
disease from adding goldfish later, you can
always buy a cheap plastic container, set it
up as a temporary aquarium/pond quarantine
tank, put any new fish in there for a few weeks
to make sure they're healthy before adding to
your pond.

Gail
near San Antonio TX USA

Old 26-06-2006, 09:48 AM
AlecTPR's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Manchester, UK

Well thanks for your comments, (shame about the spammer).

Basically it's a laguna pump and filter (with UV). The pipes will be cut down eventually. I've spent the last 7 weeks doing the whole of the garden, a rather large project in itself and then the pond idea came along.

As I am new to it all, I didn't make the pipes too short just in case I needed to move the filter. The wife has already started planting around the area so this should all be covered.

I've bite the bullett and gone and bought 3 comet fish and they seem happy so far.

Winter in Manchester can get cold, but I presume it's a thin layer of ice.

I am new to this and I don't want to invest about £30 in fish only for me to do something wrong and get them floating all over the place.

thansk again for your assistance.