Old 25-09-2006, 09:16 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Winter fiter running

I hope someone can help me, I am new to pond fish keeping and wondering
if you keep the filter and fountain running all winter. I have read
several books but non say to keep it running. I have kept tropicals
and marines for years now but only dug the pond and stocked it this
year. I live in the North East of England.

Thanks

--
niram
Old 26-09-2006, 05:23 AM posted to rec.ponds

niram wrote:
I hope someone can help me, I am new to pond fish keeping and wondering
if you keep the filter and fountain running all winter. I have read
several books but non say to keep it running. I have kept tropicals
and marines for years now but only dug the pond and stocked it this
year. I live in the North East of England.

You might find some help through:

http://www.kellysearch.co.uk/gb-product-137366.html

Good luck!

~Semper Fi~
Old 26-09-2006, 07:16 AM posted to rec.ponds

"niram" wrote in message

I hope someone can help me, I am new to pond fish keeping and wondering
if you keep the filter and fountain running all winter. I have read
several books but non say to keep it running. I have kept tropicals
and marines for years now but only dug the pond and stocked it this
year. I live in the North East of England.

Thanks

--
niram

I keep the filter running to keep the wayer healthy - you'll still get a
build up of toxins etc. as leaves and general flotsam rots down - the
fountain can be turned off unless it's anythng other than decorative - this
should guard it from freezing up as well

Old 26-09-2006, 02:44 PM posted to rec.ponds

as long as you arent running the filter over anything outside the pond that might
tend to cool the water too much, no reason not to keep the pump going. I have a
second, in pond filter I use in winter. I disconnect the pump from the veggie filter
and connect it to the in pond filter when temps begin to drop in fall. Ingrid

"niram" wrote in message

I hope someone can help me, I am new to pond fish keeping and wondering
if you keep the filter and fountain running all winter. I have read
several books but non say to keep it running. I have kept tropicals
and marines for years now but only dug the pond and stocked it this
year. I live in the North East of England.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 26-09-2006, 05:10 PM posted to rec.ponds

"niram" wrote in message

I hope someone can help me, I am new to pond fish keeping and wondering
if you keep the filter and fountain running all winter. I have read
several books but non say to keep it running. I have kept tropicals
and marines for years now but only dug the pond and stocked it this
year. I live in the North East of England.

I just leave a small pump running to keep the top layer of colder water
moving so an opening stays in the ice should there be a serious freeze.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 26-09-2006, 10:15 PM posted to rec.ponds

niram wrote:
I hope someone can help me, I am new to pond fish keeping and
wondering if you keep the filter and fountain running all winter. I
have read several books but non say to keep it running. I have kept
tropicals and marines for years now but only dug the pond and stocked
it this year. I live in the North East of England.

Thanks

Like you, this will be my first winter with a pond. I'm on the SE outskits
of London, and my garden is walled in all round, and is protected from the
cold to some degree. I intend to leave pump, filter and fountain running.
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 28-09-2006, 05:13 PM posted to rec.ponds

You shouldn't keep the pump running. If you are keeping your fish in
the pond you should have a small pump that rests on the bottom of the
pond and has a solid extension reaching to just below the surface of
the water, leave this pump running. This will help keep a hole in the
pond and will allow the toxic gasses that build up escape.

NOTE: your pond should be at least 6 feet.... 2 meters deep to keep the
fish in the pond otherwise you need to bring your fish inside.

Definitive Aquarium, Inc
Custom Installation & Maintenance of Aquarium, Koi Ponds & Water
Features
8014 Olsen Memorial Highway #255
Golden Valley, MN 55427

href="http://definitiveaquarium.com"http://definitiveaquarium.com/a

Old 28-09-2006, 10:24 PM posted to rec.ponds

"BoyPete" wrote in message
Lowest air temp here is around -4Deg.C. Garden is sheltered, and the pond
will be covered in bubble wrap. My late father had a a pond with fish for
many years, and never lost any to the cold.

We don't lose them either here in zone 6 (USA) and we have some real cold
snaps. My deepest pond is just over 3' deep. Putting the pump on the bottom
may not be a good idea as the water has to stratify as it does in natural
ponds. Keeping a small pump running near the surface keeps a hole open in
any ice that forms. Our coldest temps can reach 0 F here.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 01-10-2006, 12:42 AM posted to rec.ponds

On 28 Sep 2006 09:13:18 -0700, wrote:

You shouldn't keep the pump running. If you are keeping your fish in
the pond you should have a small pump that rests on the bottom of the
pond and has a solid extension reaching to just below the surface of
the water, leave this pump running. This will help keep a hole in the
pond and will allow the toxic gasses that build up escape.

NOTE: your pond should be at least 6 feet.... 2 meters deep to keep the
fish in the pond otherwise you need to bring your fish inside.
Definitive Aquarium, Inc
Golden Valley, MN 55427

That's probably good advice in MN, but the OP is from SE England, doubt
they see temps much below freezing. Even in MN I would think covering and
using a stock tank heater will keep most fish safe.

Like Ingrid mentioned, running the filter without water splashing into the
air (fountains/waterfalls) is highly recommended. Every pond design is
different so one has to take that into account. I personally have found
putting my filter on a slower flow, bypassing the waterfall and covering
with screen netting, works. I also have a stock tank heater right next to
the skimmer, when temps drop below freezing I switch it on and it keeps my
pond water temp well above and close to 40F. But best of all? Come spring
my filter is far more ready to roll then back in the old days when I
cleaned & shut it down completely. ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website