Old 15-04-2003, 07:56 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Active Carbon

What type of filtration does active carbon provide and does it make sense in
a pond?

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Remove MYFRONTALLOBE to email me.

Old 15-04-2003, 09:56 PM
ajames54™

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 14:51:01 -0400, "BenignVanilla"
m wrote:

What type of filtration does active carbon provide and does it make sense in
a pond?

It attaches and neutralizes chemicals.... all chemicals ... sure
this includes poisons but it also includes fertilizers, trace
elements and even medications...

personally I don't use it and would recommend against it for
anyone with anything more complex than a decor aquarium.
Old 16-04-2003, 06:20 PM
~ jan

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 14:51:01 -0400, "BenignVanilla" wrote:

What type of filtration does active carbon provide and does it make sense in
a pond?

I use it, especially in the spring when I don't know how careful my
neighbor is being with his pesticides. Many claim it "polishes" the water.
~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 16-04-2003, 06:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"~ jan" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 14:51:01 -0400, "BenignVanilla" wrote:

What type of filtration does active carbon provide and does it make sense

in
a pond?

I use it, especially in the spring when I don't know how careful my
neighbor is being with his pesticides. Many claim it "polishes" the water.

My thought here was to place it in a bag before the intake of my filter.
This way I can miracle grow the VF, and not worry too much about the MG
making it to the main pond where the fishes are.

BV.

Old 16-04-2003, 09:20 PM
ajames54™

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:24:44 -0400, "BenignVanilla"
m wrote:

"~ jan" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 14:51:01 -0400, "BenignVanilla" wrote:

What type of filtration does active carbon provide and does it make sense

in
a pond?

I use it, especially in the spring when I don't know how careful my
neighbor is being with his pesticides. Many claim it "polishes" the water.

My thought here was to place it in a bag before the intake of my filter.
This way I can miracle grow the VF, and not worry too much about the MG
making it to the main pond where the fishes are.

BV.

It doesn't work THAT fast... it is an incremental thing... The
vast majority of the water will flow around the carbon ...

Old 17-04-2003, 01:32 AM
RichToyBox

BV,

Activated carbon is a chemical filter. I keep some in the shed for
emergencies. If I can't find any reason for the fish acting strange in my
water parameters, I assume that some chemicals, i.e. weed killers,
insecticides, paint overspray, etc., have gotten into the pond and these are
the things that the carbon will work wonders on. So far I have not had to
use it in my pond, but used some in a club members pond recently.
--
RichToyBox

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 17-04-2003, 02:44 AM
~ jan

My thought here was to place it in a bag before the intake of my filter.
This way I can miracle grow the VF, and not worry too much about the MG
making it to the main pond where the fishes are.

BV.

Carbon matting would be better for flow, but it's not gonna catch all the
stuff MG has in it. Carbon does not take out nitrates or many other things.
If it did, my little steer manure situation a few years back wouldn't have
been a problem. That said, I really doubt your VF is gonna need MG. If your
plants look a little anemic and your pH is in the okay ranges, BUY MORE
FISH!!! ) ~ jan

Old 17-04-2003, 05:32 AM
John Rutz

~ jan wrote:
My thought here was to place it in a bag before the intake of my filter.
This way I can miracle grow the VF, and not worry too much about the MG
making it to the main pond where the fishes are.

BV.

Carbon matting would be better for flow, but it's not gonna catch all the
stuff MG has in it. Carbon does not take out nitrates or many other things.
If it did, my little steer manure situation a few years back wouldn't have
been a problem. That said, I really doubt your VF is gonna need MG. If your
plants look a little anemic and your pH is in the okay ranges, BUY MORE
FISH!!! ) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

Jan would you backup a bit on theat manure problem?? what happened ?

before another of my better ideas gets out of hand :-)

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 17-04-2003, 07:44 AM
~ jan

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 22:29:02 -0600, John Rutz wrote:

Jan would you backup a bit on theat manure problem?? what happened ?
before another of my better ideas gets out of hand :-)

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

I use to use my sandy loam (90% sand, 10% loam if that) from my veggie
garden as the media for all of my aquatic plants. Back in 1999, middle son
wanted to do something nice and I had mentioned he could rake in one row of
steer manure for me. Well he decided to be extra nice and rake manure into
all the rows. Thus, the soil I used for 3 baskets of iris had a heavy dose
of steer manure. I had the BRIGHEST green suspended algae bloom for several
days before I pulled those baskets out. Many water changes and double doses
of BZT and I was all clear again.

Interesting was the test on my filter. By midnight of each night the filter
could actually sieve the suspended algae out of the pond and it would be
clear enough to see the bottom. Minute the sun was up, bright green, the
algae could out compete the sieving action of the filter.

Course now I use rocks for my iris and many other similar marginal plants.
So did I talk you out of it? ;o) ~ jan

Old 17-04-2003, 03:09 PM
John Rutz

~ jan wrote:
[...]

yup I thought it might be a good idea to put some in with the lotus and
a couple lilies i need to repot, dont think so now :-)

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 17-04-2003, 04:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"John Rutz" wrote in message
snip
yup I thought it might be a good idea to put some in with the lotus and
a couple lilies i need to repot, dont think so now :-)

snip

A planting medium? Hmm...

BV.

Old 17-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Andrew Burgess

What type of filtration does active carbon provide and does it make sense
in a pond?

My thought here was to place it in a bag before the intake of my filter.
This way I can miracle grow the VF, and not worry too much about the MG
making it to the main pond where the fishes are.

You might just want to use potassium, supposedly ponds (via fish food) supply
all the nutrients plants need except potassium.

The best potassium source I've found is potassium chloride at a water
softener store, $14 for 40 lbs, 100% pure (made to recharge potable water
softeners).

HTH

Old 17-04-2003, 11:08 PM
~ jan

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 10:51:39 -0400, "BenignVanilla"
m wrote:

A planting medium? Hmm...

BV.

As in, I see a bright green future for you, if................... ?

Old 19-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Critical Popperian

What type of filtration does active carbon provide and does it make
sense in
a pond?

Can anyone recommend a good place online to buy a bunch of
granular/pelltized activated carbon on the cheap? We've got really clear
water now, all except for the tanin
Old 19-04-2003, 02:32 AM
RichToyBox

Check the local water treatment service companies. They buy it in big bags,
and it is pretty cheap. Buy it from a pond supplier, and it comes in a
fancy package at 100 times cost.
--
RichToyBox

news