Old 24-02-2007, 04:00 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default The benefits of UVC - newbie question

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Gill,

We use a Tetra UV to kill the algae. Works fine and is not really
needed all season. It is much nicer for us than waiting for the algae
bloom to pass. Some would feel that it is better to let the bloom
kill itself off. That can take a long time, so we have gone to a UV.
With great results.

We would support the idea of being on the hogh side for strength.
Killing algea faster is fine. Failing to kill it off is a bummer.

Jim

========================
We also have the Tetra units. The bulbs are at least 6 years old and they
still work like a charm on algae. One is already running as I type this. I
only run them as needed.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 24-02-2007, 06:17 PM posted to rec.ponds

BoyPete wrote:

This is my first year with a pond. Contrary to advice I read, because it has
been a mild winter, I've kept pump/filters/UV running all the time. The
pop-up on the filter is half way up, so it must have been doing some good. I
have a newlamp ready to put in .......prob at easter.

What brand do you have? and is it a combined unit?

TIA
Gill
Old 24-02-2007, 06:33 PM posted to rec.ponds

Tristin wrote:
Put it this way.....Don't get UVC and I pretty well bet with the first
algae bloom, you wished you had it. You will soon spend more time
combating and trying to knock back the algae than enjoying the pond
and fish......

So I guess the concensus here is that I'm as well getting it rather than
not - especially if the pump/filter unit also has UVC for little extra
money. So of course the next thing is comparing what is available here
in the UK - Hozelock of course, and also Laguna....need to do some
research.....I doubt that the available technology will change between
now and me starting the pond itself, as most of the LFS's already have
their spring stock in...Personally, I prefer to fully research
everything - afterall no point in designing a pond only to find it has
to be redesigned to take into account filtration or indeed anything else
- far better to research all aspects before putting spade to ground only
to have to redo the whole thing.....

Expect a lot more questions from me as this plan progresses

Gill
Old 24-02-2007, 07:59 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 12:32:06 +0000, Gill Passman
wrote:

So, do you routinely treat the water for parasites, with PP or an
off-the-shelf product?

My drug of choice is Prazi in the spring & fall for flukes, Koizyme and
then salt. None of which affect the filter. I haven't needed to treat the
lily pond with goldfish at all... and that's where all the frogs are coming
and going. ~ jan
Old 25-02-2007, 03:46 AM posted to rec.ponds

We found the UV not useful once the fall cold comes...the water is the
proverbial 'gin' (or tea) clear then. We run it in the spring and
as needed other times. It is easy to tell if it is needed to keep the
green water down!

Jim

Old 25-02-2007, 05:11 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
We found the UV not useful once the fall cold comes...the water is the
proverbial 'gin' (or tea) clear then.

Sometimes ours are gin clear in winter and sometimes one or more will stay a
bit green. As soon as the ice melted last week some of them started to turn
green. They're already up to 50F. The above ground ones that is. They're
out in the sun and the plants are still dormant so the algae starts right
up. I want to keep this one 650g tank clear as the fry are undersized. I
fed them today and any day they'll eat regardless of temperature. So far so
good. I'm trying to keep them alive until spring. They should make it if we
have a normal spring and no more real cold snaps.

We run it in the spring and
as needed other times. It is easy to tell if it is needed to keep the
green water down!

Ordinarily the 3 fry tanks can go green as the grass because no one sees
them but me. :-) I check them when they come up to eat.

Jim

--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 25-02-2007, 08:24 AM posted to rec.ponds

Gill Passman wrote:
BoyPete wrote:

This is my first year with a pond. Contrary to advice I read,
because it has been a mild winter, I've kept pump/filters/UV running
all the time. The pop-up on the filter is half way up, so it must
have been doing some good. I have a newlamp ready to put in
.......prob at easter.

What brand do you have? and is it a combined unit?

TIA
Gill

Hozelock Titan pump in the pond, feeding a Hozelock Bioforce filter with UV,
feeding a Hozelock box filter.
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 25-02-2007, 02:20 PM posted to rec.ponds

I cover my pond with plastic in winter and I use a 500watt heater in 1600 gallon
pond so I can feed my fish a little bit every 4th day or so almost all winter. last
time was Jan. 5th. been too cold since then. My ponds are netted all year. I
havent had to treat my pond since 2000. Before the plastic and heater my fish
wouldnt eat for nearly 6 months, I think that is very hand on them. also, once it
warms up the temp stays even so there isnt so much up and down which also prevents
problems. Ingrid

wrote:

So, do you routinely treat the water for parasites, with PP or an
off-the-shelf product?

My drug of choice is Prazi in the spring & fall for flukes, Koizyme and
then salt. None of which affect the filter. I haven't needed to treat the
lily pond with goldfish at all... and that's where all the frogs are coming
and going. ~ jan

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 25-02-2007, 03:14 PM posted to rec.ponds

I don't imnd the algae that grows on the preforms or liners walls etc,
its the green bloom I do not like. I think cool or cold weather is
the only time a pond at least a natural pond or most larger ponds in
the deep south are really clear.......I know my pleco's love the algae
build up on the ponds sides.....So far I have weathered outside 8
pleco's for over 4 years now, and all are well over the 16" mark in
size......I also have a few smaller 12" and under outside for the
first time this year and they appear to be doing well, however I htink
with ideal conditions for growing this carpet algae, and the
metabolism of the plecos in colder water, they just can not keep up
with the algae as they can in summer time Just yesterday the wife and
I went to town, and took the long way home, and we both remarked how
nice all the ponds and such were........however in a few months they
will be all green and turbid once the warm weather sets in.

-------
Old 25-02-2007, 09:34 PM posted to rec.ponds

For what its worth in this reigon, as it really never freezes, and if
it did the ice would be gone by 9am once sun is up , the folks in the
high rent district use those solar panels of what looks like bubble
wrap...(blueish green with silver mylar reflective area) thats used to
heat up swimming pools etc by solar power. The local swimming pool
supply stores here sell it in large rolls that they can piece to
gether to make a cover essentially in the shape and size of your
swimming pool, or inthe case of a pond the shape and size of your
pond. I had a bout a 3 x 3 foot piece of it and will say it does
absorb heat and direct it into the water, and it does make a
difference.

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 20:41:58 GMT, ~ jan
wrote:

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 14:20:49 GMT, wrote:

I cover my pond with plastic in winter and I use a 500watt heater in 1600 gallon
pond so I can feed my fish a little bit every 4th day or so almost all winter. last
time was Jan. 5th. been too cold since then. My ponds are netted all year. I
havent had to treat my pond since 2000. Before the plastic and heater my fish
wouldnt eat for nearly 6 months, I think that is very hand on them. also, once it
warms up the temp stays even so there isnt so much up and down which also prevents
problems. Ingrid

One of our members also covers with plastic, I think he used an 800 watt,
for 4,000 gallons and managed to keep it around 50F (Zone 7), so he's been
feeding all winter. His fish were large last fall, can't wait to see this
summer the difference. I know that is his goal, to grow some big ones. :-)

Spring is coming, just got an E to get my order of Manda Fu requested. One
of our members orders them all in so we save on shipping. :-) ~ jan

-------