Old 22-04-2003, 10:32 PM
MLF

Default White Grubs...

My only complaint with the skunks is I wish they would replace
the divots when they're done.

Divots? One year they tore up my whole front yard. Only recourse was to

tear up
what was left and reseed everything. Things were that badly shredded.

I had the perfect answer to grubs when I lived in Connecticut. Moles. Dozens
of them. Hundreds of them. Hordes of them, everywhere, tunneling day and
night. The whole lawn looked like a washboard. The cats dragged in a half
dozen every day (not that it seemed to make a dent in the population any),
but no grubs.

All in all, I just as soon have grubs.

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)

Old 22-04-2003, 11:56 PM

nope. natural biological that just kills beetle grubs.
http://homeharvest.com/milkspore.html

"Cybe R. Wizard" wrote:
Don't know about Milky Spore, but most things that'll kill the grubs
will do in earthworms, too.
Just FYI.

Old 24-04-2003, 03:56 AM

http://homeharvest.com/milkspore.html

Milky Spore - Bacillus popillae
" Two kinds of bacteria are known to cause milky disease in grubs. They attack only
members of the white grub family. Milky Spore disease affects some-- 47 different
varieties of beetle grubs in the U.S. including June Beetle or May Fly grubs, but the
Japanese beetle grub is probably the most extensively affected.---- Milky disease
bacteria do not infect nor harm other insects, earthworms, birds, warm-blooded
animals, humans, or plants."

effective 15-20 years. 10oz Covers 2,500 SF $28+
about the cost of 1 nice rose, cheap at the price.
Ingrid

Old 25-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Gregory Young

wrote in message
http://homeharvest.com/milkspore.html

Milky Spore - Bacillus popillae
" Two kinds of bacteria are known to cause milky disease in grubs. They

attack only
members of the white grub family. Milky Spore disease affects some-- 47

different
varieties of beetle grubs in the U.S. including June Beetle or May Fly

grubs, but the
Japanese beetle grub is probably the most extensively affected.---- Milky

disease
bacteria do not infect nor harm other insects, earthworms, birds,

warm-blooded
animals, humans, or plants."

effective 15-20 years. 10oz Covers 2,500 SF $28+
about the cost of 1 nice rose, cheap at the price.
Ingrid

That is an interesting reference, from a retailer/reseller of the product.
Their web site states "milky spore disease affects 47 diff varieties of
beetle grubs..." .. note here the word disease vs. the bacteria they are
selling, because the following site:
http://www.milkyspore.com/milkyspore.htm
which is from St Gabriel's labs, who actually manufacture the product state:
"It (Milky Spore) targets and discriminately works to attack the white grubs
of Japanese Beetles..
No mention 47 other varieties here!

By golly discrepant information again!
Who should we believe.. the product reseller or manufacturer??? I think I'll
go with the latter.

As to the expense, if all you need is to cover 2500 sq ft, then it's not too
bad. Many have turfs much larger, and it is pricey.

Also if you go to the manufacturer's site I listed, you will see applying it
will take time. You need to map out your yard, and be sure to follow their
instructions as to when to apply (to avoid inactivation).

You can't use a broadcast spreader. If you use a drop spreader you can't use
the powder.. you need a special mix, at a higher cost.

As I said in my initial post, MS will work for Japanese beetle grubs, and if
you are sure you have an infestation of them, then go for it!

BUT:

I still would recommend before you spend any $$ on MS that you have the
grubs checked as I described in my initial post.

Good luck, (let me know what you find out about your grubs!)
Greg

Old 26-04-2003, 04:20 PM

some .edu sites say only japanese beetles, others say other kind of grubs.
here is a .edu site talks about milky spore and OTHER ways of killing grubs using
insecticides. cant use both at the same time.
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/ipm/homegr...s/37lpests.htm

By golly discrepant information again!

Old 26-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Gregory Young

Nice reference.
Given my druthers, I'd pick a bio. agent (like MS) over a chemical agent, as
long as the grubs were responsive to it, even if it cost more, as it's more
environmentally sound.

Old 27-04-2003, 03:32 PM
kari

What you do at this point is borrow a dog if you don't want one full
time. Especially a lab type of dog. They'll dig all the mole hills up,
making the little vermin leave. Yea, you have massive ditches where you
had moles, BUT you have the sick satisfaction that they left in fear and
the dog is REALLY happy!

Old 28-04-2003, 01:44 PM
ajames54™

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 16:49:18 GMT, "Gregory Young"
wrote:

Gregory...
Any idea if Milky spore is available in the buffalo area?
(I caught the buffalo.edu address).

The Nematode solution (I'm told) will only work if the soil temp
is constantly above 15C...

I did a count on Saturday .. I dug up approx 1 square foot of
soil and counted 8 grubs sigh

What don't white grubs like to eat? jennifer muise Gardening 4 08-05-2006 03:49 AM
How to Kill Grubs/larvae of JuneBugs?? (Dogs eat Grubs) Tom Servo Texas 0 27-03-2004 07:02 AM
Get rid of Grubs Bub Lawns 4 09-05-2003 04:56 AM
white grubs Susan Gillespie North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:33 PM
grubs ideekay Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM