Old 27-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Priscilla McCullough

Default Veggie Filter is up

I thought it would be built in like 3 hrs.
I thought it would cost $100.00
WRONG!!!!!
It took 2 days to build and $300.00 to make.
Hubby and I have near about divorced over this thing.
He hates my ponds and wants nothing to do with them.
I'm no carpenter and knew nothing about building it.
So he had to stay home this weekend and build the thing for me,
which included going to home depot and finding out how much everything cost.
I had to buy another pump because the one I had wasn't going to be enough.
And the only liners they had left cost $9 per ft.
This has concluded my pond projects for the rest of the year.
Thanks to John and Dallas for your help and photos and everyone else who
helped with ideas.
Priss

Old 28-04-2003, 01:08 AM
John Rutz

Priscilla McCullough wrote:
I thought it would be built in like 3 hrs.
I thought it would cost $100.00
WRONG!!!!!
It took 2 days to build and $300.00 to make.
Hubby and I have near about divorced over this thing.
He hates my ponds and wants nothing to do with them.
I'm no carpenter and knew nothing about building it.
So he had to stay home this weekend and build the thing for me,
which included going to home depot and finding out how much everything cost.
I had to buy another pump because the one I had wasn't going to be enough.
And the only liners they had left cost $9 per ft.
This has concluded my pond projects for the rest of the year.
Thanks to John and Dallas for your help and photos and everyone else who
helped with ideas.
Priss

--Congrats i think;-)
now all we hav to do is convert him, a few eve's with mint tea and pond
sounds might work

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico
If it can't be fixed with bailing wire or duct tape
its not worth fixing

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 28-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Nedra

Wow! You guys did it Priss ... Hubby will soon love the pond.
At least I hope he does. It has its own special magic.

Nedra

Old 28-04-2003, 03:08 AM
Priscilla McCullough

Thanks Nedra.
I got a couple pics up for yawl to see.
I got to cut away excess liner on top.
And then clean the yard back up.
Joe don't give a hoot about my ponds. lol
Priss
http://priss31.tripod.com/veggiefilter.htm

rthlink.net...

Old 28-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Nedra

Great looking Veggie Filter! Tell Joe he has my
vote for a real honest-to-goodness ponder!!
You of course are key to the success of your
pond .... Congrats, Priss!!

Nedra

"Priscilla McCullough" wrote in message
Thanks Nedra.
I got a couple pics up for yawl to see.
I got to cut away excess liner on top.
And then clean the yard back up.
Joe don't give a hoot about my ponds. lol
Priss
http://priss31.tripod.com/veggiefilter.htm

rthlink.net...

Old 28-04-2003, 05:32 AM
REBEL JOE

Loved your pond. Priss the rocks on bottom might cause you some trouble
gets tons of muck in them.

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

Old 28-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Priscilla McCullough

I took the rocks out this spring when I had to drain it.
Got a pile in the backyard. lol
Thanks
Priss

Old 28-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Russ and Cathy wrote:

Anyway we just finished up with it yesterday before all 5 of the kids and
hubbies and wives and 9 grandchildren bombarded us for dinner. lol! Too
tired after that to take pictures so will do it later today and post them in
alt.binaries.pic
Mine looks different than yours but then we were just kinda guessing at how
to do it. You and your hubbie did a great job with yours. Still too early to
put out plants and flowers so my ponds look kinda baron.
Cathy

I'll look for the photos of your veggie filter. I must say
that it isn't to early to put watercress into the veggie
filter. This is the weather it likes, during the heat of
the summer it suffers and then returns in the Fall. Get
some at your local grocery store and get a head start for
your pond.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 28-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Russ and Cathy

Bonnie wont the watercress freeze with temps still below the freezing mark
at night or are they more hardier than that?
The wind today caught my patio umbrella and it kicked my tempered glass and
shattered it into a zillion peices. We had just bought that one late
last summer. I hope none of the peices of glass landed in my new pond.

Old 29-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Russ and Cathy

"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message
Russ and Cathy wrote:
Bonnie wont the watercress freeze with temps still below the freezing

mark
at night or are they more hardier than that?

The watercress will stay green and not be damaged by frost.
It may get darker in color but it will be fine.

--
Bonnie
NJ
http://home.earthlink.net/~maebe43/

Oh good, i will go get some this weekend. I have a tank full of pond plants
in my basement waiting for the correct moment to put them outdoors. Gonna be
in the mid 30's tonight. I got them thru the winter so i dont want to chance
them now outdoors in cold weather. I dont have any for a veggie filter as
yet but i will.
Cathy

Old 30-04-2003, 12:21 AM
Priscilla McCullough

Thanks.
Nope, couldn't talk hubby into bottom drain. I lucked out on the filter!!
Priss
"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in
message . ..
Thanks for the pics, Pris.

You certainly made the veggie filter an aesthetic addition to the pond!
May it be the home of tons of bacteria and lots of waste. Do you have a
bottom drain in it?

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 30-04-2003, 02:44 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Pris,

How do you drain it? Is there a side drain?

Old 30-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Russ and Cathy

Priss
Check out this site for watercress.
http://www.watercress.com/

Cathy

"Priscilla McCullough" wrote in message
What is watercress?? And you get it in a grocery store???
Priss

Old 30-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Priscilla McCullough wrote:
What is watercress?? And you get it in a grocery store???
Priss

Watercress is a plant that usually grows along side streams
in the wild. It is sold in the produce department of many
grocery stores. When placed in flowing water roots will
develop and before much time passes the roots will be very
long and the plant will grow. It is a marvelous plant for
filtering water and which you can also eat.

Veggie Filter? Sam Hopkins Ponds 6 19-11-2003 01:42 AM
How to create a veggie filter inside a existing pond? John Ponds 3 13-04-2003 02:08 AM
Veggie Filter Plants Hey DJ Jeff Ponds 12 12-03-2003 08:11 PM
Uhh....guys, What the hell's on the veggie filter? DesertPond Ponds 9 12-03-2003 04:45 AM
Sun and the Veggie Filter BenignVanilla Ponds 1 30-01-2003 10:12 PM