Old 29-04-2003, 07:21 PM
matt

Default Need Pump Recommendation

Hello: I've estimated that I need a pump that pushes 3500 gallons/hr at 7'
head. Is there a good website to compare different pumps and their
capabilities? There seem to be so many varieties of pumps I've had a hard
time finding what models are available that can do this. Also, could someone
explain how i go about deciding if i need a 1/8HP vs 1/4HP etc?

Of course if anyone wants to recommend a specific pump model that would be
helpful too.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 29-04-2003, 08:33 PM
Lee Brouillet

When I was looking for pumps, I came across this site:
http://www.bestpondpumps.com

They have an enormous amount of information, and the best prices I could
find. Have fun checking it out!

Lee

Old 30-04-2003, 01:44 AM
RichToyBox

Aquatic Eco catalog has a chart on page 367 of all the pumps that they have.
It shows the flow rate vs. head. The best fit for you situation looks like
WLP1 or SQ2. These are Wave Pump 1/4 hp, and Sequence 1000, 1/8 hp. Both
are good brand names. I have two of the sequence pumps.
--
RichToyBox

Old 07-05-2003, 01:56 AM
Larry McDonald

Hi,

I had bookmarked a good web site, but it's long gone, apparently.

That's kind of a lot of water for the pond industry pumps (about 58 gallons
per minute) at not much head. You may want to look for two pond pumps to do
that. When they get that large, you will find that they've become industrial /
sump / fountain pumps.

Avoid sump pumps, as they are usually designed for intermittent duty and
don't last long in ponds.

Oase has a 1/2hp pump that gets there, but at 25' head and it's got some
brass in it's construction, not great if you have fish. Two Oase Nautilus 60
pumps hits your spec exactly.

Beckett has a pump (PS3900A) that nearly matches your spec.

Larry

Old 07-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Michael Shaffer

Do a search on Google for the Pondmaster Mag-Drive pumps. They use a lot
less electricity and only have 1 moving part.

Old 14-07-2004, 12:11 PM
Newbie Bill

Default Pump recommendation

I can't speak to dependability but www.asponds.com has some very low prices.
I have a Laguna and they are very efficient. Others might have better
recommendations but for example a powerjet 1500 with a max head of 6 feet,
500 gph, and 3 year warranty is $55 and uses a meager 21 watts. By my
calculations .8 amps is over 90 watts. Whether they are more powerful or
dependable I have no knowledge. I would guess that between the 2 foot rise
and loss in distance this would be appropriate. Circulating once per hour is
typically the rule of thumb. If you buy two much pump you might have a
real whirpool in your pond. 900gph or 1200 (on sale) are about $25.
HTH
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

"Rick" wrote in message
om...
Hi paul, we have a wonderful pump, the tiny might. Although it is rated
at 1180 gph, it is only 0.8 amps, which is much lower than any
submersible. You can safely restrict the flow on the discharge side to
the flow you need. This will also cut down on the electrical usage.

You can find this pump at www.koirific.com

I think they are only $125.00

Paul wrote:

I need a pump that can pump water from my small pond (about 100gal) over

distance or approx 5 metres to a UV clarifyer. The pond is a garden

feature
pond built raised above the ground (about 2ft high) the pump will be
situated about 5 metres away at ground level and the hose will be routed

the pond from the pump at ground level and then up and over the small

2ft
wall into the pond.

The UV clarifyer which will be situated neat the pump requires a flow

rate
up to a max of 250gal per hour.

Can anyone recommend a suitable pump to pump water reliably over this
distance (5 metres) with a flow rate not to exceed the UV max rate of

250gal
per hour?

Hope this all makes sense.

Old 14-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Newbie Bill

Ooops - that link is www.azponds.com and pond with no fish only needs as
little as once per 2 hours turnover. Cant imagine you would lose 90% of
your flow with your proposed set up although 100 gph net would probably be
better.
Bill

m...

Old 14-07-2004, 01:07 PM
RichToyBox

Distance, volume and pipe diameter are the three factors that go into
calculating the dynamic head. For my smaller pond, I just installed an
Aquadyne filter, vortex separator, and sequence pump. The distance to the
pump and filter is about 40 feet to the shed and 50 feet back to the upper
end of the pond, making a run of about 100+ feet counting elbows, etc. I
have good flow using 2 inch pipe, but would probably have better with 3 inch
pipe. The smaller the pipe, the more friction, or head, so the amount of
water pumped drops.
--
RichToyBox
"Paul" wrote in message
Is there any limitations/distances on how far a pump can pump the water
'from' the pond to the UV and then back to the pond?

Old 15-07-2004, 02:02 AM
RichToyBox

Forgot to mention the 80 watt uv that I won at auction last year at Koi
America that is also in the shed, after the Aquadyne.
--
RichToyBox