Old 08-05-2003, 04:08 AM
Nobody you know

Default Pea Green

The Pea Green is driving me crazy G

My pond is 3 years old, and goes through this every year. I am using "pond
blocks" but they are not working. I have a Tetra 2.5 gallon filter (pond is
about 650 gallons). I am working on convering a 50 gallon preform into a
bio-filter. Hope that will help. The pond get a medium amount of light,
some parts of the pond are in the sun all day.

Plants are starting to come up, and I have a little hornswort and anacranis
(sp) in the upper 100 gallon area.

Will try to get some pics up on my website soon.

Ideas, suggestions???

Thanks
Marc

Old 08-05-2003, 04:20 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Patience? & Don't overstock nor overfeed.

I need the above advice also by the way.

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

.. .

Old 08-05-2003, 05:20 AM
REBEL JOE

It'll clear when plants get going mine does.

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

Old 08-05-2003, 01:20 PM
J.D. Stone

I put a 150 gallon rubbermaid on mine, patterned after skippystuff filter.
No pea green and no string algae (except in the filter). Water stays clear.
However, it did clog the other day. Too many pecan "blossoms?" (stringy
beaded dammits) blocked the exit grid and it pumped down. Pump wasn't on the
bottom but I have shelves and a "lot" of lilies. Some of the fish got
trapped on the shelves and died. I'd had them over six years. Time to rework
the pond. Anybody tried the bog filter featured in this months "Water
Gardening"?
JD
http://www.nrgy.com/pond.htm

Old 08-05-2003, 03:08 PM
John Rutz

J.D. Stone wrote:
I put a 150 gallon rubbermaid on mine, patterned after skippystuff filter.
No pea green and no string algae (except in the filter). Water stays clear.
However, it did clog the other day. Too many pecan "blossoms?" (stringy
beaded dammits) blocked the exit grid and it pumped down. Pump wasn't on the
bottom but I have shelves and a "lot" of lilies. Some of the fish got
trapped on the shelves and died. I'd had them over six years. Time to rework
the pond. Anybody tried the bog filter featured in this months "Water
Gardening"?
JD
http://www.nrgy.com/pond.htm

saw that article several of us use bog type filters but keep our plants
in pots some with just dirt, some with kittie litter and some with rocks
of various sizes, bigger rocks if koi can get into the filter

the amount of gravel and concrete blocks he used scared me !!!

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico
If it can't be fixed with bailing wire or duct tape
its not worth fixing

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 08-05-2003, 03:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"John Rutz" wrote in message

J.D. Stone wrote:
[...]

Right, not my VF is bog like, but I am using pots...I plan to start reducing
pots over time, and see how the plants do without them. I am trying to come
up with an anchor system/idea, whereby using weights I can keep the plants
at depth and in an area, and then just have the roots dangling in the
water...I am thinking maybe a light frame system of some sort...

BV.

Old 08-05-2003, 04:44 PM
K30a

We used lighting grid, each little square was about 3/4s of an inch big. We
spray painted it black and then stuck a sprig of watercress through each grid.
The stuff grew like crazy and even flowered. It had long roots that went down
into the screening media.
Then one of the labs walked across the grid and broke it in several large
places. I tossed it all and replaced it with water hyacinth.

k30a
Old 08-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Nedra

Hi JD... Sorry about the accident. Always sad...
I looked at the filter when I first got the mag. But
remembered the mess I had when I added lots and lots
of gravel to existing veggie filter. Didn't think I'd ever get
it cleaned. Maybe that was my problem ... Not supposed
to clean it? Also, I would like the use the room inside the pond
for the fish. So, I guess I had several problems with it.

Nedra

Old 09-05-2003, 02:56 AM
J.D. Stone

I thought maybe I'd try it as an external. Was going to build one anyway so
I thought I'd try the gravel route. Cleaning would be a problem but I don't
have to clean my filters too often. Would be nice to try some water
hyacinths again but hard to get.
Any DFW ponders composting any? I'd be glad to come pick 'em up! (sigh)
probably too early.
email: jdstone AT itexas.net
JD
http://www.nrgy.com/pond.htm

rthlink.net...

Old 09-05-2003, 03:56 AM
GD

FYI, although many of you are likely aware of this:

Green water occurs during unicellular algal blooms (explosive growth
and multiplication of single-celled "plants"). Algae blooms are
caused by one thing: abundant (excess) nutrients in the water column.
In most U.S. waters, including backyard ponds, the nutrient most
likely to limit algal growth (and thus blooms) is phosphorus.

Where is the excess phosphorus in green ponds coming from? From
reading this group, it appears there are three main sources.

1) Tap water carries a fair amount of phosphorus, in many cases enough
to cause some level of algal blooms. I believe most people top off
their ponds with the most convenient water source: the hose and
faucet. Put tap water into a plain bucket, and set in the sun. You
might be surprised to see what grows after a few weeks.

2) Certain metabolic wastes are rich in nutrients, including
phosphorus, and fish waste is high on the list of phosphorus sources
in small ponds. Uneaten fish food also contains phosphorus (more than
fish waste, actually). Put tap water into a second plain bucket, set
in the sun, and throw in some fish food. Compare with the first
bucket after several weeks.

3) Fertilizer inserted into aquatic plant substrates are another
source of phosphorus in backyard ponds: Tabs/stakes/etc. dissolve
quickly, far too quickly to be absorbed by plants at one time, and
the leftovers are then available to support algal blooms. Put tap
water into a third bucket, set in the sun, throw in some fish food,
and throw in half a dose of fertilizer for a single plant. Compare.

Additionally, the efforts put forth in this group often seem directed
at managing algae, rather than excess nutrients. In many cases, the
techniques come across as overly complicated and somewhat backwards.
For instance, UV sterilization. Although UV has it merits, and does
kill algae, it does nothing to address the root of the problem:
nutrient loading. Turn off the light and the bloom recurs within a
fortnight. One gets the same effect from periodic treatment with
algicides, but can have harsh consequences if applied without
precision.

Several of you post valuable information regarding nutrient
management, most notably cutting back on fish feeding and the use of
plants as nutrient filters. I see some problems with plant filter
species selection, but all in all, the idea is sound. Tweaking
current practices and including some fresh ideas may serve as the
solution many seek. I suggest further discussion on techniques for
reducing nutrient loads in your ponds, thus minimizing problems with
algae. The disinterested can always kill the thread.

Gary

Old 09-05-2003, 06:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"J.D. Stone" wrote in message
I thought maybe I'd try it as an external. Was going to build one anyway

so
I thought I'd try the gravel route. Cleaning would be a problem but I

don't
have to clean my filters too often. Would be nice to try some water
hyacinths again but hard to get.
Any DFW ponders composting any? I'd be glad to come pick 'em up! (sigh)
probably too early.
email: jdstone AT itexas.net
JD
http://www.nrgy.com/pond.htm

I wish I had green water. *sigh* I have so much clay in my pond, the algae
can't bloom. *laugh* I am still trying to find more on Bentonite to see if
will help...else...I'll just wait until the construction is done...drain the
pond, clean out what I can, and start over...

BV.

Old 09-05-2003, 06:32 PM
John Rutz

BenignVanilla wrote:
"J.D. Stone" wrote in message

I wish I had green water. *sigh* I have so much clay in my pond, the algae
can't bloom. *laugh* I am still trying to find more on Bentonite to see if
will help...else...I'll just wait until the construction is done...drain the
pond, clean out what I can, and start over...

BV.

--
BV

dina worry the clay will settle out I had the same problems when I built
my ponds (esp the first one) the clay particles are so fine that they
stay suspend ed for a fw weeks one way to speed it up if you have no
fish is to turn off all pumps so the water stays still,
but when you fire up the pumps again it will resuspend some clay but
that will settle in a day or three

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

before you criticise someone
walk a mile in thier shoes
that way when you criticise them
your a mile away and have thier shoes

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 09-05-2003, 06:45 PM
BenignVanilla

"John Rutz" wrote in message
snip
dina worry the clay will settle out I had the same problems when I built
my ponds (esp the first one) the clay particles are so fine that they
stay suspend ed for a fw weeks one way to speed it up if you have no
fish is to turn off all pumps so the water stays still,
but when you fire up the pumps again it will resuspend some clay but
that will settle in a day or three

snip

What I worry about is...adding fish...and then they stir it up
constantly...I want gin clear water...not OJ clear water.

BV.

Old 09-05-2003, 06:45 PM
John Rutz

BenignVanilla wrote:
"John Rutz" wrote in message
snip

dina worry the clay will settle out I had the same problems when I built
my ponds (esp the first one) the clay particles are so fine that they
stay suspend ed for a fw weeks one way to speed it up if you have no
fish is to turn off all pumps so the water stays still,
but when you fire up the pumps again it will resuspend some clay but
that will settle in a day or three

snip

What I worry about is...adding fish...and then they stir it up
constantly...I want gin clear water...not OJ clear water.

BV.

well my fislh dont stir it up real bad every once in a while Ill catch one

kickin up a "dust cloud" when he takes off (sorta kinda like a hot rod
spinning tires)
but that clears up in seconds

Pea or not a pea Marq United Kingdom 2 26-03-2010 11:24 AM
Green water, to Brown water, back to Green again! Ka30P Ponds 5 31-08-2004 07:10 AM
green green pond of home willsniffer United Kingdom 18 12-09-2003 05:03 PM
Pea Green - Pictures are now up Marc Tripp Ponds 6 19-05-2003 03:20 AM
THE GREEN GREEN GRASS OF HOME ? Ian Sawers Lawns 0 02-04-2003 02:32 PM