Old 12-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Julie

Default New Fish Problems

Hi,

We have a new pond which has been filled up for a couple of months now. We
have some plants in it and use Extract of Barley Straw to control the algae.
We also have a pump/fountain, but no filter. It is beginning to clear
nicely.

On Friday of last week we bought two goldfish - the first to take a dip in
our pond! Unfortunately, we haven't seen them since! Well, we can see a
head poking out from under a rock occasionally - right at the bottom of the
pond. Is this normal behaviour?

I am worried because three days have passed since they were put in the pond
and they haven't eaten a thing since!

Any advice would be great!

Julie
UK

Old 12-05-2003, 10:45 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Sounds like all is great in your pond. It may take the goldfish a while to
come out!

It seems as if filter is not a necessity with goldfish.

How big is your pond?

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 12-05-2003, 10:57 AM
Julie

Thanks for replying!

Our pond is an odd shape, but at it's longest it is about 8ft, and at it's
widest is about 6ft and about 22 inches deep at the deepest end.

I guess I just need to be patient and wait for them to make an appearance
then?

Kind regards,

Julie
UK

Old 12-05-2003, 11:33 AM
Judy Konopka

Julie,
I am a new ponder too (about a month now). I put 3 Shubunkins in my pond,
and 3 comets (goldfish). They are all hiding. Every once in a while, when
the water warms up (usually later in the day), they come out and play a bit
around the waterfall. I'm no expert, but based on your comments, and my
experience, it seems fish feel "safe' in the rocks.

As far as feeding, I know they go all winter without eating. They will also
find little things which have been carried in the wind and land in the pond.
And if you put food in, it will sink to the bottom (but not too much food).

Hope that helps!

Old 12-05-2003, 01:35 PM
Mark

"Julie" wrote in message
Hi,

We have a new pond which has been filled up for a couple of months now.

We
have some plants in it and use Extract of Barley Straw to control the

algae.
We also have a pump/fountain, but no filter. It is beginning to clear
nicely.

On Friday of last week we bought two goldfish - the first to take a dip in
our pond! Unfortunately, we haven't seen them since! Well, we can see a
head poking out from under a rock occasionally - right at the bottom of

the
pond. Is this normal behaviour?

I am worried because three days have passed since they were put in the

pond
and they haven't eaten a thing since!

When I first put fish in the pond (summer 2001), we had a small koi about
10cm long, in september he disappeared, I suspected he'd been eaten by a
predator. The following April he appeared happy as larry, so we now call him
Harry after houdini (sp?).

All the fish were really timid for months, but they now follow me round with
open mouths waiting to be fed. So you just need some patience :-)

Mark
UK

Old 13-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Food will do it. Right now you are a BIG predator. When you feed, you
might try tapping the side or splashing with your fingers. They don't think
much, but the will make the association in due season. They will know when
you approach. You could at first approach and then toss some food on.
stand still and watch. They will come in due season. Ours are like most
people's, they know where they get fed and come when we move to the pond.

Good luck.

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 15-05-2003, 08:08 AM
Julie

Thanks to everyone for all the advice!

Hopefully they will soon start to feel at home - I will just be patient!

Many thanks,

Julie

Update on fish problems humBill Ponds 6 13-04-2006 07:44 PM
Fish problems.........get the answers Help for you Ponds 2 04-02-2005 02:07 PM
Mosquito Magnet Pro problems - anyone else having problems? Bruce Berger Gardening 2 04-09-2003 12:02 AM
Fish pond water kills all fish within 24 hours. [email protected] Ponds 99 20-08-2003 08:02 AM
SOS! SICK FISH!/do all dead fish float?/Melafix?/Furanase Jo Bohannon-Grant MD Ponds 3 10-06-2003 04:08 AM