Old 13-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Sue Alexandre

Default Raising Worms for fish food

Hi.
I've been reading about raising worms to use as food for my pond fish, and
just ordered 100 red worms online. I have the Rubbermaid bin, peat moss,
and corn meal, and am anxiously awaiting their arrival. Has anyone here
ever done that, and if so, any tips or suggestions or advice you can offer?
I live in Connecticut, and plan on keeping their "home" behind our storage
shed where it's totally treed and shaded. My fish LOVE earthworms as a
treat, but in order to feed all of them worms regularly, I'd have to dig up
my yard on a daily basis - this seemed like the perfect solution. Wish me
luck!
Sue and her Zoo

Old 13-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Mosfunland

Boy the robins will love you!!!!! No tips here but my guess would be the birds
will be visiting too.

Maureen in Phila
Old 13-05-2003, 11:20 PM
joe

Sue Alexandre wrote:

I have the Rubbermaid bin, peat moss,
and corn meal, and am anxiously awaiting their arrival. Has anyone here
ever done that, and if so, any tips or suggestions or advice you can offer?

I've been doing this for years, mostly to compost kitchen waste, but the
worm castings also make awesome planting mix. The liquid given off is also
terrific fertilizer. I believe "The Rodale Guide to Composting" has an
entire chapter on the subject..

You can put lots of stuff into your bin except meat and cooked products. We
put in egg shells, coffee grounds ( and the paper filter) and of course, all
vegetable matter.

Joe

Old 14-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Sue Alexandre

Thanks Joe and Maureen, sounds like I'm going to get my money's worth with
this new hobby. Joe, what's the best way to collect the liquid? Drill
some holes in the bottom and keep some plastic under there to catch it?
Sue

Old 14-05-2003, 12:44 AM
joe

Sue Alexandre wrote:

Joe, what's the best way to collect the liquid? Drill
some holes in the bottom and keep some plastic under there to catch it?

I have a container made specifically for worms and it has a valve that I
drain into a pail. You might go down to the Home Depot and buy some PVC
pieces that will do the same thing. Drill a hole in the end (or bottom) at
one end of the bin that is large enough to accommodate the fitting. Then,
because the crud in the bin will clog the valve, take some stiff wire ( like
chicken wire) and build a barrier around the valve on the inside. Then place
some newspaper around the chicken wire. Alternatively, I've heard you can
place a sponge against the valve, but I've never tried this. Then, slightly
tilt your bin in the direction of the valve. We're not talking heavy flow
here.

Hope that helps

Joe

Old 14-05-2003, 02:08 AM
RED1102

How often can you feed your fish worms?
I tried feeding earthworms to my fish last year & they loved them. Can you or
should you do it everyday or only once in awhile for a treat?
Thanks
Carole
NJ
Old 14-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Lee Brouillet

Keep us advised . . . "sounds" like a good idea . . . but I'd have to get
past the "ugh!" factor! GBG

Lee

Old 14-05-2003, 06:56 AM
Sue Alexandre

That's a real good question, Carole, and one I don't have the answer to yet.
I figured until I hear or read differently, I would feed them their regular
floating pellets once a day, and then some worms once a day. As to which
will be their "primary" meal, I'm not sure yet. But you're right about
them seeming to love them - it's so much fun to watch how excited they get
when you drop a worm in the water!
Sue

Old 16-05-2003, 01:08 PM
MISSYMAGICGIRL

I have found while cleaning around the garden a whole slue of regular earth
worms. They are not red. Are they safe to feed to my koi's?? How can I breed
them??

Thanks in advance,

Sacha
Old 16-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Lee Brouillet

On the rare occasions that I find an earthworm in the garden, it goes in to
the fish (can you say "food fight"?) I guess I really shouldn't toss 'em in,
the garden could really use them. I really should do some research on
growing them, too. But to answer part of your questions, earthworms are
great fun!

Old 16-05-2003, 03:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"MISSYMAGICGIRL" wrote in message
I have found while cleaning around the garden a whole slue of regular

earth
worms. They are not red. Are they safe to feed to my koi's?? How can I

breed
them??

My yard consists mainly of concrete hard clay. Over time we have tilled
landscaping beds, gardens, etc. We also keep a compost heap of garden and
yard waste which gets mixed into the beds every year. What I am getting at,
in a long winded way, is that now that we have been working the beds...the
worms are EVERYWHERE!!! I suggest you get a nice compost pile going. Use
grass clippings, newspaper, coffee grinds, egg shells, etc. If you pile
it...they will come.

BV.

Old 16-05-2003, 04:20 PM
joe

MISSYMAGICGIRL wrote:

I have found while cleaning around the garden a whole slue of regular earth
worms. They are not red. Are they safe to feed to my koi's?? How can I breed
them??

The worms you find in your garden will not survive "worm-bin" life, nor will
the red worms survive long in your garden. Each are suited to their own
specific worm lifestyles.

Joe

Old 16-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Gary Woods

joe wrote:

Each are suited to their own
specific worm lifestyles.

Seinfeld
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
/Seinfeld

Sorry, but the images running through my fevered brain today are totally
beyond the pale!

You can raise regular garden worms in bins, but they need the material much
more broken down that the red manure worms, and they reproduce much more
slowly.
I'm going to be quiet now, as I feed the worms some tasty coffee grounds.
Maybe a banana peel or three if they behave themselves.

Old 16-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Sue Alexandre

Yes, not only are they safe for the fish, they are GOOD for them, and they
love them. I'm pretty sure you could breed them, too, but I'm not sure they
breed as quickly as the red worms, that's why I ordered some of them. The
ponding season is much too short here in Connecticticut for me to exercise
any patience.
Sue

Old 16-05-2003, 09:08 PM
joe

Gary Woods wrote:

Seinfeld
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
/Seinfeld

Is that one of the new standard HTML tags?

Joe