Old 05-06-2003, 04:56 AM
REBEL JOE

Default *ANTS*

lol this is funny, sorry just makes me laugh guess I don't look at
insects as I do animals wouldn't.t hurt a animal but sure will step on a
bug.

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

Old 05-06-2003, 04:08 PM
James Williams

"John Hines" wrote :

That is my point, Spiders are not related to bugs, they are basically
land crabs, being related to the crabs in the sea biologically.

Which, to me, makes eating shrimp, lobster and crab equal to eating
bugs.

Actually, I thing "bug" is a particular term in entomology that means a
particular type of insect that has specialized mouthparts. But most people
mean it in it's loosest definition, "anything that crawls on me and needs to
be swatted".

---

Old 05-06-2003, 04:08 PM
K30a

I have one of those hairy jumping type
spiders living amongst the pondsills in
my kitchen windowsill. He rushes around
the glass pondlets trying to get at those
tadpoles inside. He gets very frustrated
when he can't reach them. Then he will creep
up to the top and try and walk across the
duckweed. He gets about two legs in and
hurriedly backs off - thwarted once again!

k30a
Old 05-06-2003, 06:44 PM
K30a

James wrote Actually, I think "bug" is a particular term in entomology that
means a
particular type of insect that has specialized mouthparts.

Bugs pierce your skin and suck your guts out,
Beetles chew you to bits. You can also tell by their wing cases. Bugs are
leathery and have a 'V' shape on their back. Beetle have a hard case, split
down the middle. Which is why a Ladybug is really a beetle, not a bug.
And they can all give you the heebie-jeebies****!

k30a

Old 05-06-2003, 07:44 PM
John Hines

"James Williams" wrote:

"John Hines" wrote :

That is my point, Spiders are not related to bugs, they are basically
land crabs, being related to the crabs in the sea biologically.

Which, to me, makes eating shrimp, lobster and crab equal to eating
bugs.

Actually, I thing "bug" is a particular term in entomology that means a
particular type of insect that has specialized mouthparts. But most people
mean it in it's loosest definition, "anything that crawls on me and needs to
be swatted".

Spiders eat bugs. Being eaten is bad for bugs. Therefore the more
spiders, the fewer bugs. Spiders do almost nothing but eat bugs. They
almost never bother humans other than the "eek, a spider' fear they
provoke.

Old 05-06-2003, 07:56 PM
K30a

John wrote They
almost never bother humans

Well there was that jumping spider that lived
in my delete key. He took great exception at typos...

k30a

Old 05-06-2003, 10:56 PM
mad

fire ants fall into a different category, though...
mad
--
Rectitude (n.), the formal, dignified demeanor assumed by a
proctologist immediately before he examines you.

From: "BenignVanilla" m
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 13:00:59 -0400
Subject: *ANTS*

"James Williams" wrote in message
om...
snip

Perhaps it will make you feel better about killing ants if you read
this.

snip

I am not sure I could ever feel good about it, but I am sure I could justify
it. In my mind killing any sentient being is harmful to us all.

BV.

Old 05-06-2003, 11:08 PM
mad

i am allergic to many different stinging insects such as ants, spiders and
yellow jackets, so out they go. if they won't go with a bit of prompting,
then they have to go permanently.
the other side is that i am allergic to insecticide, so that is a no go.
my husband has to do the dirty deed for me.

i live 1 hr & 5 min from the nearest hospital, and it takes the nearest
ambulance 30 minutes to get out here. i do keep an ana kit handy, but that
only lasts a short time. i never have had to use my ana kit, thank God. i
pray i never do, either.
mad
--
To a dog, you are family; to a cat, you are staff.
anonymous

From: (Cleveland Ponder)
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: 4 Jun 2003 12:25:33 -0700

I never kill spiders. In fact, when my daughter found a spider in her
room and was afraid of it, we gave it a name to make her more
comfortable with it. I will kill ants and flies that invade my house.
As long as they stay outside, they are safe. Yellow Jackets nests
are not welcome on my property as they will attack without
provocation.DAMHIK

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...
"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
BV, you OBVIOUSLY have never met a Fire Ant! One run-in with them, and I
guarantee that you will kill with extreme prejudice! They serve no purpose
on God's Green Earth other than to torment, sometimes to death. Very nasty
creatures. OTH, other than them, I let the other bugs live in peace (well,
except for the ones that want to get into the house . . . hmmmm - my
"exception" list seems to be growing G)

I met a few, years ago, and if I remember correctly, a few souls were
squashed. Nowadays, I rarely kill anything. It drives my wife crazy when I
pick up spiders, ants, silverfish, etc. and carry them outside. I am still
trying to get over helping her set mouse traps this past winter. That was
difficult.

BV.

Old 05-06-2003, 11:56 PM
mad

then there was the black widow spider that bit my grandfather in his armpit.
the bite rotted a hole that prevented him from working for several months
during the depression. the loss of his job caused him to have what was
called then a 'nervous breakdown'.
i'll pass, thanks...
mad
--
Beauty fades; dumb is forever.
Murray Blum, Judge Judy's dad

Old 06-06-2003, 02:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"mad" wrote in message
then there was the black widow spider that bit my grandfather in his

armpit.
the bite rotted a hole that prevented him from working for several months
during the depression. the loss of his job caused him to have what was
called then a 'nervous breakdown'.
i'll pass, thanks...

I got bit on the elbow by, what I am told was a brown recluse. I didn't know
what it was. The skin on my elbow just started to come off. An area the size
of half dollar was just raw and infected looking. I went over my
bro-in-law's house and he had the same thing. He saw the spider bite him and
he went to the doc. I didn't go. It took weeks to heal.

BV.

Old 08-06-2003, 06:56 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

"James Williams" posted:
Perhaps it will make you feel better about killing ants if you read
this. http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...520ants20.html

snip

I am not sure I could ever feel good about it, but I am sure I could justify
it. In my mind killing any sentient being is harmful to us all. BV.

BV, about the time you're leaning over the pond, both hands busy and the
army crawls over much of your foot and ankle, then the general orders BITE,
you'll seriously consider defensive act. Being a kind soul consider bait
traps a Darwin solution. Only the stupid ants part take and take it home,
they have a choice not to do that. ;o)

I used the bait sticks around my koi ponds several years in around and the
last couple haven't, so far no infestations.... at least not of the stupid
kind that crawl up and bite me. ;o)

Now I've got to do something about my Lily Pond, not only are they heavy in
that area, but around a formal pond the ant hills do not look good at all.
Not to mention black ants will farm aphids, moving them to the lily pads if
they're able. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 14-06-2003, 08:44 PM
jammer

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 22:22:13 -0400, "*muffin*"
wrote:

Hot water, dish soap, and orange juice. Mix in a big bucket and pour
on the ant places.

ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
ants v Amdro -- ants winning Wayfarer Texas 11 09-04-2003 04:08 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
ants in worm farm Mousie Australia 8 02-04-2003 10:20 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM