Old 03-06-2003, 04:08 AM
*muffin*

Default *ANTS*

while putting in plants around the pond edge I noticed TONS of ants living
under the liner....
*crud*
now I KNOW ants have eaten their way through a vinyl water bed, ( don't
ask).

HOW do I get rid if these ants,, have you had any problems with them being
destructive on liners,, etc??
so far I CAREFULLY poured liquid ant killer along edge of dirt,,, where the
liner was higher than the dirt, & sprinkled dry ant killer elsewhere in the
plant area.

any other suggestions?? I figure they would just burrow deeper.......

(oh, they are big & small ants,,,,, alllllll over.........)

( I also have to worry now about moles & mice,, dang-it,,,,,,,,, I forgot
they ate my flower bulbs on that side of the house over the years..........)

*sniffle* ,, !!!!!help!!!!

Old 03-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Cleveland Ponder

Mix in equal parts baking soda and powdered sugar. Place where ants
are active. Ants cannot expel gas. When they eat the baking
soda/sugar mix, it creates gas in the ants killing them.

Old 03-06-2003, 04:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"Cleveland Ponder" wrote in message
om...
Mix in equal parts baking soda and powdered sugar. Place where ants
are active. Ants cannot expel gas. When they eat the baking
soda/sugar mix, it creates gas in the ants killing them.

snip

Call me Buddhist...but I can't seem to get myself to kill the ants
under/around my liner. They moved in after the pond went in, and I assume
are attracted to the source of water like most living things. I figure they
will add to my pond environment, not take away from it. I also figure, kill
these, and I am sure more will return.

BV.

Old 04-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Lee Brouillet

BV, you OBVIOUSLY have never met a Fire Ant! One run-in with them, and I
guarantee that you will kill with extreme prejudice! They serve no purpose
on God's Green Earth other than to torment, sometimes to death. Very nasty
creatures. OTH, other than them, I let the other bugs live in peace (well,
except for the ones that want to get into the house . . . hmmmm - my
"exception" list seems to be growing G)

Lee

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 04-06-2003, 02:32 PM
James Williams

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
BV, you OBVIOUSLY have never met a Fire Ant! One run-in with them, and I
guarantee that you will kill with extreme prejudice!

So true.

I am a vegetarian, an organic gardener, and for the most part, a
pacifist. But for Fire Ants I go straight for the Orthene. They must die,
and right now.

---

Old 04-06-2003, 02:44 PM
BenignVanilla

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
BV, you OBVIOUSLY have never met a Fire Ant! One run-in with them, and I
guarantee that you will kill with extreme prejudice! They serve no purpose
on God's Green Earth other than to torment, sometimes to death. Very nasty
creatures. OTH, other than them, I let the other bugs live in peace (well,
except for the ones that want to get into the house . . . hmmmm - my
"exception" list seems to be growing G)

I met a few, years ago, and if I remember correctly, a few souls were
squashed. Nowadays, I rarely kill anything. It drives my wife crazy when I
pick up spiders, ants, silverfish, etc. and carry them outside. I am still
trying to get over helping her set mouse traps this past winter. That was
difficult.

BV.

Old 04-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Nedra

BV, I have a son who is your double. Denny has never in
his entire life killed anything!
Such a gentle soul.

Nedra

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 04-06-2003, 04:20 PM
C.Champ

While I don't get ants around my pond (yet) I do get them
everywhere else. They come out so bad in spots that they will
actually turn the ground black for about a 3 ft. around area.
What I use and it works "Great" is those little store bought
ant bait traps where the ants go in get the bait then take it
back to there nest so all their buddies can partake of the
poison (sorry...I mean food). All it takes is a couple days
and they are completely gone (in that spot).
CC

Old 04-06-2003, 05:44 PM
James Williams

"BenignVanilla" m wrote :

I met a few, years ago, and if I remember correctly, a few souls were
squashed. Nowadays, I rarely kill anything. It drives my wife crazy when I
pick up spiders, ants, silverfish, etc. and carry them outside. I am still
trying to get over helping her set mouse traps this past winter. That was
difficult.

Perhaps it will make you feel better about killing ants if you read
this.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...520ants20.html

Fire ants are -much- more aggressive than black ants. Fire ants in your
yard make colonies that can infect the yards of your neighbors. My little
sister fell in a fire ant bed when she was young and it took us over an hour
to get all the ants out of her hair, ears and eyelids. She screamed for
days.

Use the orthene.

---

Old 04-06-2003, 06:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"James Williams" wrote in message
om...
snip

Perhaps it will make you feel better about killing ants if you read
this.

snip

I am not sure I could ever feel good about it, but I am sure I could justify
it. In my mind killing any sentient being is harmful to us all.

BV.

Old 04-06-2003, 06:44 PM
James Williams

"BenignVanilla" m wrote :

In my mind killing any sentient being is harmful to us all.

Then you're OK, because ants are not sentient. Besides that, by killing
Fire Ants, you prevent the murder of many other animals and some humans.

---

Old 04-06-2003, 07:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"BenignVanilla" m wrote :

In my mind killing any sentient being is harmful to us all.

Then you're OK, because ants are not sentient.

I'd argue that point.

Besides that, by killing
Fire Ants, you prevent the murder of many other animals and some humans.

I guess the same could be said for the kooks that kill gyno's that do
abortions. I am still not buying it.

BV.

Old 04-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Cleveland Ponder

I never kill spiders. In fact, when my daughter found a spider in her
room and was afraid of it, we gave it a name to make her more
comfortable with it. I will kill ants and flies that invade my house.
As long as they stay outside, they are safe. Yellow Jackets nests
are not welcome on my property as they will attack without
provocation.DAMHIK

Old 05-06-2003, 04:32 AM
Regina

From: "BenignVanilla"

I am not sure I could ever feel good about it, but I am sure I could justify
it. In my mind killing any sentient being is harmful to us all.

I have used peppermint extract successfully. Just put a bit into the mound or
sprinkle some on top. It doesn't kill the ants, but they don't like peppermint
so they leave. They will probably come back again after the peppermint smell is
gone. Then you just do it all over again. I've heard that pepper works, too,
but I've never used it.
--
Regina

BARK! Get Serius!

ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
ants v Amdro -- ants winning Wayfarer Texas 11 09-04-2003 04:08 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
ants in worm farm Mousie Australia 8 02-04-2003 10:20 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM