Old 10-06-2003, 03:32 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Garbage Can Clay Filter

OK gang, time to be McGyver as someone suggested in another thread. I am
getting this damn clay out of my pond this month. I plan to take a couple of
garbage cans and use them as settling chambers.

I am looking for some opinions on design. As this is a temporary filter just
for the clay, I am looking to do it cheap. I have two old garbage cans that
I can destroy.

My primary question now is how should the water flow? Up or down? I mean,
should I pump water into the bottom of the can, fill the can with filter
media, and have it overflow out the top or vice versa?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

Old 10-06-2003, 04:20 PM
John Rutz

BenignVanilla wrote:
OK gang, time to be McGyver as someone suggested in another thread. I am
getting this damn clay out of my pond this month. I plan to take a couple of
garbage cans and use them as settling chambers.

I am looking for some opinions on design. As this is a temporary filter just
for the clay, I am looking to do it cheap. I have two old garbage cans that
I can destroy.

My primary question now is how should the water flow? Up or down? I mean,
should I pump water into the bottom of the can, fill the can with filter
media, and have it overflow out the top or vice versa?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond
Remove MYFRONTALLOBE to email me.

-- when I had my barrel filters I found that in at the bottom and out
near the top worked best the clay (Heavy stuff) stayed at the bottom
and the filter media caught a lot of the fines the beg problem was
channeling so had to clean quite often cheapest way to connect is a
couple of pvc sewer conectors for bulkheads

see my barrel filters or Jan Jordans demon pond filter for how to do it

good luck

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 10-06-2003, 04:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"John Rutz" wrote in message
snip
My primary question now is how should the water flow? Up or down? I

mean,
should I pump water into the bottom of the can, fill the can with filter
media, and have it overflow out the top or vice versa?

snip
-- when I had my barrel filters I found that in at the bottom and out
near the top worked best the clay (Heavy stuff) stayed at the bottom
and the filter media caught a lot of the fines the beg problem was
channeling so had to clean quite often cheapest way to connect is a
couple of pvc sewer conectors for bulkheads

see my barrel filters or Jan Jordans demon pond filter for how to do it

snip

I was thinking the same, but worried that the inflow would constantly be
stirring up the settled clay. It won't? As for the construction...I'll check
the bulkheads. I was going to go even simpler, and build a few beckal boots
around flexible hose just jammed into holes cut in the cans. Maybe a dash of
silicon to seal it. Like I said, once the clay is out, these filters will
get tossed out. If they leak a little, that should be too big of a deal.

Do you think one can would do it? or should I go with two?

BV.

Old 10-06-2003, 05:08 PM
John Rutz

BenignVanilla wrote:
"John Rutz" wrote in message
snip

[...]

go with two if you can

Old 10-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Matt the Rat

BenignVanilla wrote:
OK gang, time to be McGyver as someone suggested in another thread. I am
getting this damn clay out of my pond this month. I plan to take a couple of
garbage cans and use them as settling chambers.

I am looking for some opinions on design. As this is a temporary filter just
for the clay, I am looking to do it cheap. I have two old garbage cans that
I can destroy.

My primary question now is how should the water flow? Up or down? I mean,
should I pump water into the bottom of the can, fill the can with filter
media, and have it overflow out the top or vice versa?

Flow up probably works better as you've then got gravity working in your
favour. However, flow down is easier to set up as you don't need to
worry about sealing your bulkheads against 3 feet of water.

Whatever filter media you use, try and get something easy to clean out
as you'll probably find it clogs up before the pond is cleared.

--
Matt
Matt at Matt The Rat dot com

Old 10-06-2003, 05:44 PM
John Hines

"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

I am looking for some opinions on design. As this is a temporary filter just
for the clay, I am looking to do it cheap. I have two old garbage cans that
I can destroy.

Did you get the email I sent you of a PDF of settling tank theory?

Old 10-06-2003, 05:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"John Hines" wrote in message
news
"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

I am looking for some opinions on design. As this is a temporary filter

just
for the clay, I am looking to do it cheap. I have two old garbage cans

that
I can destroy.

Did you get the email I sent you of a PDF of settling tank theory?

I haven't checked my BV account yet today. Will do it soon...have a meeting
to go to now...

BV.

Old 10-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

BenignVanilla wrote:
OK gang, time to be McGyver as someone suggested in another thread. I am
getting this damn clay out of my pond this month. I plan to take a couple of
garbage cans and use them as settling chambers.

I am looking for some opinions on design. As this is a temporary filter just
for the clay, I am looking to do it cheap. I have two old garbage cans that
I can destroy.

My primary question now is how should the water flow? Up or down? I mean,
should I pump water into the bottom of the can, fill the can with filter
media, and have it overflow out the top or vice versa?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond
Remove MYFRONTALLOBE to email me.

My suggestions: get a piece of pvc (minimun 2"), drill a
few holes at one end. Stand upright (holes at the bottom)
in garbage can filled with quilt batt or whatever. Pump
water into the the pvc and allow the water to overflow into
the pond. Hows that?

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 10-06-2003, 06:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"John Rutz" wrote in message
snip
go with two if you can

snip

That I can do. I think I even have three cans I can work with if it'll help.
The wife assures me she has plenty of old blankets I can use. So I figure
I'll do this...

Keep pump in VF.
Have it outflow in the bottom of can 1.
Can 1 will be stuffed with a blanket or other media.
Can 1 will flow to can two from the top to the bottom of can 2.
Can 2 will overflow into pond.

I am even thinking, it may make sense just to stand the cans up in the VF.
This way if anything leaks or falls over when I am not watching, I won't
empty the pond. Then I can leave this running all weekend while I am
camping. Hmm.

BV.

Old 10-06-2003, 06:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message
BenignVanilla wrote:
[...]

That would rock. I have some PVC lieing around already. I could stand this
can up in my VF, pump water from there and let it flow back into the pond.

I think this is a winner. It would require me only having to seal one hole
for a hose for the output.

Anyone else have comments?

BV.

Old 10-06-2003, 06:56 PM
John Hines

"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

"John Hines" wrote in message
news
"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

I am looking for some opinions on design. As this is a temporary filter

just
for the clay, I am looking to do it cheap. I have two old garbage cans

that
I can destroy.

Did you get the email I sent you of a PDF of settling tank theory?

I haven't checked my BV account yet today. Will do it soon...have a meeting
to go to now...

I sent it a few days ago. I resent it today.

Old 10-06-2003, 07:08 PM
John Rutz

BenignVanilla wrote:

[...]

sounds real good to me go for it

Old 10-06-2003, 07:08 PM
John Hines

"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

Anyone else have comments?

Around?

I setup a mini-cyclone in a plastic can. with a small (1-1/2") inlet,
which inside is an elbow, to get the water going around.

At approx the same height (overall) is a 3" toilet flange, which has
3" PVC glued into it, so that it runs over to the center, before an
elbow turns it down. Lots of plumbers Goop in that one.

Works very well, at reasonable flow rates 1500 gph.

I've got an extra, if you want it. FOB lombard.

Old 10-06-2003, 07:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"John Hines" wrote in message
snip
I sent it a few days ago. I resent it today.

snip

I got it. Very interesting reading. For my first attempt, I think I can draw
from several of your ideas...

First...My VF feeds from one end, and pumps out from the other. So I have a
deep area, which already catches a lot, a shallow area, and another deep
area. I think I'll try putting filter media between the two deep areas, say
a furnace filter. This may help, but it will at a minimum be a fun, easy to
set up, cheap experiment. I think I will also sit a 33 gallon can (because I
have one) in the VF and have the Pump, pump into there. I'll then take a
hose out from there and connect it up to the return back to the pond. This
way I can set the chamber up simply by inserting it between my pump and it's
normal outflow pipe. This is advantageous for simplicity, and for safety. If
my nutty dog knocks it over, it will fall into the VF and help prevent the
pump from draining the pond dry.

BV.

Old 10-06-2003, 07:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"John Hines" wrote in message
news
"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

Anyone else have comments?

Around?

I setup a mini-cyclone in a plastic can. with a small (1-1/2") inlet,
which inside is an elbow, to get the water going around.

At approx the same height (overall) is a 3" toilet flange, which has
3" PVC glued into it, so that it runs over to the center, before an
elbow turns it down. Lots of plumbers Goop in that one.

Works very well, at reasonable flow rates 1500 gph.

I've got an extra, if you want it. FOB lombard.

I don't think I want to get too complex, since I intend to shut this down
once the clay is out. I am thinking with a piece of flex from my pump
(sitting in the VF) over the top of the can with the end sitting on the
bottom of the can, and another piece through a bulk head up top to allow a
second piece of flex to run back to the pond. I thought about just
overflowing, but I think that will defeat the purpose a bit, as where I am
planning on putting it, the overflow would be right where the pump is
sucking from.

Now I just need to do a simple semi-leak proof bulkhead. I want to get this
running tonight, so I can get it running before the weekend. The more I
think about it, the more I don't want it running unsupervised all weekend
while I am gone, so I want it up and running ASAP.

How can I do a quick and dirty bulkhead, cheap? Even if it leaks a little
that is OK. Do you think some hand cut EPDM gaskets a-la Greg Bickal would
work on a hard garbage can side? I am thinking one on each side of the hose.

BV.