Old 07-07-2003, 08:02 PM
Registered User

Location: Herts, UK
Default Enlarging my pond, please advise

I am considering enlarging my pond and I have a main concern regarding the liner. Right now my pond is 8x6x2.5ft. (or 240x180x80 cms roughly) My liner is already 15x12ft (5x4 meters) but I'd like to increase my pond to 15x10x4ft (500x350x120cms) or close to this measures. I'd like to use the old liner and buy some new one to make it up to the size i want to increase the pond. Would be a good or safe idea to glue the liner together? Has anyone tried to (successfully) glue two bits of liner before. If anyone has any idea please advise. Also if someone have used any brand of glue that would recommend it I would be glad to hear some advise.

Thank you in advance
Eddy
Old 08-07-2003, 12:20 PM
Sue Alexandre

Hi Eddy:
Check where you buy the additional liner - they should also sell some "seam
tape" or a product for joining liners. The stuff I bought is about 4 inches
wide and like black tar on a strip of paper. It's hard to work with if it's
too hot and sunny outside because you can't get the tar off the paper strip
real easily, but it seems to be holding up well.
Sue

s.com...

--
IceEros

Old 09-07-2003, 01:48 AM
Michael Shaffer

That patch stuff seems like it would cost a lot for many feet of it.
Might be cheaper to buy a new liner.

Old 09-07-2003, 03:48 AM
Registered User

Location: Herts, UK

I have found that "seam tape" Sue, thank you for your advice. It has been recommended by others too so i'm gonna go for it....
To buy that tape is gonna cost me no more £25 while to buy a whole new liner for the size I need is gonna cost me £276!!!!!
Already I have to give away the old (OLD!!!!! are not even 4 months) pump,filter and UV almost for nothing, at least I can keep the liner. I know is a chance I take trying to glue the old and new liner together but is worth taking it.
276-25 = £251. I add another £140 and I can buy a new pump, UV, vortex and filter for the new pond.
Once again thanks for the advice Sue....i'm gonna "stick" with the tape...
Old 09-07-2003, 06:32 AM
Greg Cooper

No practical experience here but I would guess your major challenge is
going to be how to clean off the old liner well enough to get effective
long term bond. Isopropanol or maybe Acetone might work - both
evaporate without leaving a residue. Others may know better.

IceEros wrote:

I have found that "seam tape" Sue, thank you for your advice. It has
been recommended by others too so i'm gonna go for it....
{snip}
--
IceEros

Old 09-07-2003, 01:08 PM
Sue Alexandre

Good luck, Ice. Sounds like you're well on your way to a new and improved
pond! Will you be seaming the two liners together while the old one is
still in the pond, or will you be completely removing it? I tried to do
mine without taking it out, and had to deal with folds and creases, but
other than being more difficult that way, I still think it worked OK. Get
yourself a 2" x 4" board or something straight and rigid and place that
under the area you're seaming so you can press down hard and get a good,
tight seam. They never mentioned on the directions anything about the
ideal temperature for performing this task, but I found the day I used it
(completely sunny and in the 90's) was actually too hot to be working
successfully with it, especially on BLACK liners. As I mentioned, the
sticky part of the seaming tape is like tar, and it became TOO gooey and
sticky to work with easily in that kind of heat. I actually found myself
rubbing ice cubes on the paper portion to get it to "let go" of the black
tar. Good luck - I'm sure you'll do fine.
Sue
s.com...

Old 10-07-2003, 12:30 AM
bjt

I'm glad (and a bit surprised) to hear that some folks have had success
joining two liners together. I tried to join a small pond and a big pond
and it was a two year disaster. In retrospect I guess I never did it
'right'.

If you do it make very very very sure that both liners are 100% clean...and
then clean them again!

Brian Tarbox

"Sue Alexandre" wrote in message
[...]

s.com...

Old 11-07-2003, 11:33 PM
Registered User

Location: Herts, UK

I used to be indecisive........now I'm not sure anymore.....
I have turned around and (hopefully) FINALLY decided to go for liner in one piece. The reason for that is because I've found a source that sell at factory price, butyl 0.75mm liner with 35 years guarantee. I am willing to pay their price which is 3 times cheaper than the one found in any shop. Another reason for going for one piece liner is because I'm kinda fed up with black liner and the company I found sells liner in black, green, sky blue and sandstone. Which gives me another dilema....sandstone or skyblue???????????. I am still waiting for the samples so (maybe) when I get them may be easier to take my decision.
Skyblue brings the best color in fish(most of shows use blue liner for koi display) and I am very tempted BUT may look ugly like hell if the whole garden in context. Sandstone may blend better with the rest of the garden.....anyway.....i will see.
Regarding your question Sue, I was going to take out the old liner altogether anyway. Mainly because I am gonna increase the depth of the pond (now at an average of 2.5ft and i want to go an average of 5ft). Actually that was my intention in the first place but my gf stopped me at that time. Four months later, 5 more books red and £800 spent on 4 fishes she has decided to sacrifice half of the garden in favour of fish. So back to the drawing board ( I meant to the shovel!!!!). From 500 gallon pond to 5000 gallons pond is a big jump. Also a big jump (read NOSEDIVE) in our bank account as the whole filtration system needs changed and the new one is gonna cost about £1800. Anyway I have pics of the garden the way it was 5 months ago, the way is now and as soon as i'm done I will make a website with all the steps taken.
To all the people who decided to reply to my thread a big thank you.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:48 PM
jammer

As far as the color of the liner, i think it will be growing a thin
coat of green anyway, so i'm not sure it would matter.

I could be wrong, of course.

Old 11-07-2003, 11:50 PM
Registered User

Location: Herts, UK

I'm afraid that you are not wrong at all Jammer and that may be the case after a while. I dont think I will be prepared to use the vaccum cleaner at least twice a week to keep the liner at original color
Old 12-07-2003, 12:47 AM
jammer

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:11:38 GMT, IceEros
wrote:

I'm afraid that you are not wrong at all Jammer and that may be the case
after a while. I dont think I will be prepared to use the vaccum
cleaner at least twice a week to keep the liner at original color

I dont know if without scrubbing it, that would be possible, and we
aren't supposed to scrub it, right??
Old 12-07-2003, 05:08 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I'm afraid that you are not wrong at all Jammer and that may be the case
after a while. I dont think I will be prepared to use the vaccum
cleaner at least twice a week to keep the liner at original color

I dont know if without scrubbing it, that would be possible, and we
aren't supposed to scrub it, right??

That's right, jammer, after all it's a pond, not a swimming pool for
people. Black liner will make any pond look deep and mysterious, and
covers a whole hosts of sins like folds plus it doesn't clash with the
color green = algae. Not to mention, it doesn't reflect light, so the only
thing that does is the living jewels swiming around within and above the
liner. ~ jan

PS. I could only see the poster's posts via jammer's replies.

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 12-07-2003, 05:44 AM
John Rutz

wrote:

I'm afraid that you are not wrong at all Jammer and that may be the case
after a while. I dont think I will be prepared to use the vaccum
cleaner at least twice a week to keep the liner at original color

I dont know if without scrubbing it, that would be possible, and we
aren't supposed to scrub it, right??

-- I vote for the sandstone at least while it shows it will loook natural

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Jim Elbrecht - please advise re snowball plant limey Gardening 2 03-05-2004 01:05 AM
lawn on concrete.. please advise cerealtrader Lawns 2 29-05-2003 11:44 PM
crown rot -- please advise! Tanya Orchids 8 04-03-2003 05:39 PM
Old aluminium roof under pond liner,good idea or not? please advise John Ponds 4 29-01-2003 08:03 PM
Old aluminium roof on top of pond liner,good idea or not? please advise John Ponds 2 28-01-2003 06:00 PM