Old 14-07-2003, 06:41 PM
joe

Default **sick koi** #help#

*muffin* wrote:

eeegads........
I cannot see the bottom,, would not be cool to walk in IT and 'step' on
something........... eek.

will try to catch,, but from what someone else wrote, when he did IT IT took
forever for fish to come back again.

,,,,,,,,,darn keyboard only some keys work,, have to cut an paste 't'

Muffin,

I can't find the post now, but was it you that asked if rotting barley straw
stank so bad? Maybe it's not the straw.

Joe

Old 14-07-2003, 06:42 PM
*muffin*

up,me

y es it is the straw that stank,, i picked it up to move it & smelled it

Old 15-07-2003, 06:05 PM

1. DO NOT ADD DRY PP TO ANY POND. this is how to kill the fish. make a stock
solution
http://users.megapathdsl.net/~solo/p....htm#POTASSIUM
2. get the salt down to 0.1% OR get all your plants out of there
3. add the stock solution of PP in the evening, keep aeration going like crazy. if
the water turns clear before 4 hours are up, then you need to add another dose of
PP., dose 3 days in a row.
Jo Ann took a look thinks the mouth problem is columnaris and PP will kill that. The
white patch is probably some kind of parasite, the PP is good to take care of most
things.
4. your water is toxic, you have to use the newspaper suggested to get that slick
off the top and change some water. a UV is fine for getting rid of algae, but if you
arent getting rid of the nitrates with algae or plants, you gotta do something else,
like water changes. you dont say you tested for nitrates.
5. if you dont have air stones going in there, get something to aerate the pond.
the PP will react with everything organic and going to suck out the oxygen. CLEAN
THE FILTER completely every day.
dont add the melafix. who knows what the combination with PP produces.
I agree, if you dont have trees casting pollen all over the place, that crap on the
surface is coming from something rotting in there. you many have to drain to find
it. set up a cheap swimming pool and start removing all the plants sniffing them
deeply to see if there is anything rotting in them. toads and frogs spawning, BTW,
will foul a pond fast, altho that is usually a spring thing. Ingrid

"*muffin*" wrote:
PH : 8.3
ammonia : 0% ( but not perfectly 0, maybe a negligible amount,, I hate these
testers)
Nitrite : .5%
salt .11%
KH hardness 11

so I added salt & PP at a rate of 1t. per 600 gal. says to repeat in 4
days...

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 15-07-2003, 06:05 PM

both toxic water and parasites can cause that kind of reddening AND it looks like it
is split and being eroded. Ingrid

"*muffin*" wrote:
did you see his tail/ It also looks flamed in the picture of number 1

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 15-07-2003, 11:00 PM
*muffin*

wrote in message
1. DO NOT ADD DRY PP TO ANY POND. this is how to kill the fish. make a

stock
solution

up i know that

2. get the salt down to 0.1% OR get all your plants out of there

it has been at .15% for over a month, so far plants are good

3. add the stock solution of PP in the evening, keep aeration going like

crazy. if
the water turns clear before 4 hours are up, then you need to add another

dose of
PP., dose 3 days in a row.

ok, koivet.com said to repeat every 3 days
what happens after 3 days, I am sure i won't clear up by then, when do I
repeat??

Jo Ann took a look thinks the mouth problem is columnaris and PP will kill

that. The
white patch is probably some kind of parasite, the PP is good to take care

of most
things.

*Thanks* sooo much for asking her,, where can i see some pics or info on
columnaris??

4. your water is toxic, you have to use the newspaper suggested to get

that slick
off the top and change some water. a UV is fine for getting rid of algae,

but if you
arent getting rid of the nitrates with algae or plants, you gotta do

something else,
like water changes. you dont say you tested for nitrates.

*i jusT ordered a nitrate test kit,,, what should it read

5. if you dont have air stones going in there, get something to aerate

the pond.

I have a water fall lots of water

the PP will react with everything organic and going to suck out the

oxygen. CLEAN
THE FILTER completely every day.

right now I will run the sand filter & turn off the bio filter/uv combo
ok???

dont add the melafix. who knows what the combination with PP produces.

I agree, if you dont have trees casting pollen all over the place, that

crap on the
surface is coming from something rotting in there.

lots of trees relativel new pond & plants.
stuff on top seems less today

it. set up a cheap swimming pool and start removing all the plants

sniffing them
deeply to see if there is anything rotting in them. toads and frogs

spawning, BTW,
will foul a pond fast, altho that is usually a spring thing. Ingrid

i just saw NEW batch of teeny tadpoles

Old 16-07-2003, 01:27 AM
*muffin*

4. your water is toxic, you have to use the newspaper suggested to get

that slick
off the top and change some water. a UV is fine for getting rid of

algae,
but if you

just looked,, film is 95% gone, now.
but i do seem to see a lot of string algea running down m waterfall/stream
than before...

arent getting rid of the nitrates with algae or plants, you gotta do

something else,
like water changes. you dont say you tested for nitrates.

*i jusT ordered a nitrate test kit,,, what should it read

ok nitrate level is '0'

Old 16-07-2003, 06:20 AM
RichToyBox

muffin,

According to koivet, the use of hydrogen peroxide to clear the water
following a treatment leaves some peroxide in the pond. Peroxide is active
for up to three days, so any treatments done while it is active will be
partially neutralized before you start. The use of dechlor within one day
will do the same thing. You can do daily treatments, but if you don't
change a large part of the water or do a peroxide treatment, the water
starts to look like mud, and you can't tell when the color change occurs.
--
RichToyBox

Old 17-07-2003, 02:25 AM

I dont think there is a chance in hell of the PP being in the water for more than 24
hours. But even if there is, use Jo Ann's method... add some peroxide and it will
instantly clear. the peroxide is broken down immediately by the PP and will be gone
by the next day for the next dose. every other day for 3 treatments.
I will tell you that if I was going to treat my pond I would turn off the filtration
(veggie filter) to prevent the PP from being used up by organics, then dose the pond,
wait 4 hours, drop in the peroxide, turn the filter back on.
found a pretty good page on bacterial infections
http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/Undergrad/Siegel/
it isnt quantity, but how much it is spread out to oxygenate.
ahhha! tadpoles or toadpoles and that means there might have been an ammonia spike
when they were spawning. Ingrid

"*muffin*" wrote:
what happens after 3 days, I am sure i won't clear up by then, when do I
repeat??
*Thanks* sooo much for asking her,, where can i see some pics or info on
columnaris??
I have a water fall lots of water
right now I will run the sand filter & turn off the bio filter/uv combo
ok???
it. set up a cheap swimming pool and start removing all the plants

sniffing them
deeply to see if there is anything rotting in them. toads and frogs

spawning, BTW,
will foul a pond fast, altho that is usually a spring thing. Ingrid

i just saw NEW batch of teeny tadpoles

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 17-07-2003, 06:01 AM
*muffin*

you think the peroxide will be gone be the next day??
why do others & koivet.com say it is 3 days

wrote in message
I dont think there is a chance in hell of the PP being in the water for

more than 24
hours. But even if there is, use Jo Ann's method... add some peroxide and

it will
instantly clear. the peroxide is broken down immediately by the PP and

will be gone
by the next day for the next dose. every other day for 3 treatments.

I'm sick of.....peas! What are you sick of? rachael simpson Edible Gardening 28 14-08-2007 08:10 PM
need help with sick Goldfish or Koi? [email protected] Ponds 1 12-02-2005 10:02 PM
Please help my sick Koi Randy Ponds 4 19-06-2004 03:05 PM
Sick Koi, please help RichToyBox Ponds 2 18-07-2003 09:22 AM