Old 30-07-2003, 06:02 PM
BenignVanilla

Default A Quest for Fire...I mean...Potash

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
snip
So do you think I could crush the pellets? Or just toss a few in and let
them dissolve in the VF?

snip

Culligan in Elkridge has 40lb bags of pellets for $12.75. They are at 7391
Washington Blvd (Rt. 1), (410) 379-5319. They have it in stock, and are open
weekdays 8-5, 9-3 on Sat. The question now, is can I use pellets?

BV.

Old 30-07-2003, 06:12 PM
ajames54

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:50:55 -0400, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
snip
So do you think I could crush the pellets? Or just toss a few in and let
them dissolve in the VF?

snip

Culligan in Elkridge has 40lb bags of pellets for $12.75. They are at 7391
Washington Blvd (Rt. 1), (410) 379-5319. They have it in stock, and are open
weekdays 8-5, 9-3 on Sat. The question now, is can I use pellets?

BV.

Yes... they will be fine.. and at 40 lbs you will never need to
buy them again.
Old 30-07-2003, 06:32 PM
BenignVanilla

wrote:

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
snip
So do you think I could crush the pellets? Or just toss a few in and

let
them dissolve in the VF?

snip

Culligan in Elkridge has 40lb bags of pellets for $12.75. They are at

7391
Washington Blvd (Rt. 1), (410) 379-5319. They have it in stock, and are

open
weekdays 8-5, 9-3 on Sat. The question now, is can I use pellets?

BV.

Yes... they will be fine.. and at 40 lbs you will never need to
buy them again.

Should I crush them, or just toss a few in?

BV.

Old 30-07-2003, 06:32 PM
zookeeper

BenignVanilla wrote:
"BenignVanilla" wrote
snip

So do you think I could crush the pellets? Or just toss a few in and let
them dissolve in the VF?

Culligan in Elkridge has 40lb bags of pellets for $12.75. They are at 7391
Washington Blvd (Rt. 1), (410) 379-5319. They have it in stock, and are open
weekdays 8-5, 9-3 on Sat. The question now, is can I use pellets?

If it is similar to what I bought, the "pellets" are about the size of
rock salt and they dissolve in warm water. I put a couple tablespoons in
a half gallon jug, added warm water and swirled until they dissolved.
Then I just poured it around the perimeter of the pond, concentrating it
around the plants.
--
zookeeper

Old 30-07-2003, 09:35 PM
Sam Hopkins

low iron in your water.

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

"FBCS" wrote in message
Nice pictures on the website. I am in MD also, my lillies are doing the

same
thing. I thought it was just life cycle. New pads are stsrting to pop

up.
Joann

My lettuce is yellowing. My Lotus is yellowing. My lilies are yellowing.
This has got to be a nutrient issue.

BV.

Old 30-07-2003, 09:47 PM
Sam Hopkins

Call an AG (farm) store like Agway. You'll get a 50 pound bag for like 5
bucks.

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
I called two more garden centers yesterday. One can order Potash, and the
other may have 2 bags in storage. I have to call back today. I was told by
one that it was difficult to get because it is the prime ingredient in

bombs
used to blow up buildings in Oklahoma. I don't know if that is true, but
living this close to DC, I guess it could make sense. Anyway, still no
potash in hand, and my plants are yellowing.

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

Old 30-07-2003, 09:47 PM
BenignVanilla

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
.. .
low iron in your water.

snip

So I should toss in some rebar? Seriously, how to test/solve?

BV.

Old 30-07-2003, 10:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
.. .
Call an AG (farm) store like Agway. You'll get a 50 pound bag for like 5
bucks.

snip

I am not sure I have an Agway nearby, either way. I found it at a water
softener store.

BV.

Old 30-07-2003, 10:08 PM
ajames54

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:56:14 -0400, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
. ..
low iron in your water.

snip

So I should toss in some rebar? Seriously, how to test/solve?

BV.

There are Iron test kits available...

if it is low you should add chelated Iron, available at better
garden stores.

There is a related condition called Chlorosis .. which is usually
a deficiency of Iron but can also be Zinc or Manganese. It is
characterized by yellowing leaves with dark green veins.

The best guide for plant fertilizer is found at www.thekrib.com

more specifically
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/

They are talking about aquaria but except for the size of the
dose the info is still the same.

The PMDD recipe is quite good and useful...

Old 30-07-2003, 10:08 PM
Andrew Burgess

"BenignVanilla" writes:

So do you think I could crush the pellets? Or just toss a few in and let
them dissolve in the VF?

I just toss them in the filter. When I used them in the aquarium I tossed them
in the tank. Some koi took an interest, tastes salty I guess...

Old 30-07-2003, 10:08 PM
Andrew Burgess

"BenignVanilla" writes:

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
. ..
low iron in your water.

snip

So I should toss in some rebar? Seriously, how to test/solve?

Chelated iron from a garden store. Powder, cheap. I
dump it into the filter.

Chelated is more expensive than just iron sulphate, and somehow
'more available'. I've forgotten too much chemistry to explain
why. K30a?

Might as well get some epsom salts at the grocery store while
you're at it.

Old 30-07-2003, 10:08 PM
K30a

Andrew Burgess wrote
Chelated is more expensive than just iron sulphate, and somehow
'more available'. I've forgotten too much chemistry to explain
why. K30a?

ak! I got altitude sickness sitting at the top of Chem 101. There was this
little tiny professor way down in the bottom of the pit handing out horrible
copy machine prints of his latest book.

jj's husband is the chemist.
I have a baby (18-yr-old) rock star/chemist, he passed AP Chem, I'll ask him
next time he surfaces from band practice and see what he says.

k30a
yearly brother website posting
http://www.30acreimaging.com/
Old 30-07-2003, 10:08 PM
johnrutz

BenignVanilla wrote:
"johnrutz" wrote in message
snip

if your plants and most of thier roots are in the pot yes the fert
sticks would work.

I suppose you can have too many plants, and run low on nutrients, what I
have been doing since my stock of fertilizer makers has gone way down
and my plants are not poted is add a package of Miracle grow to the
veggie filter when the plants start lookin poorly.
if you do this youll have to guestimate the dosage, I add one pk to 5000
gallons, it did spark a small algae bloom, giving the water a slight
green tint

snip

Do you mean the powder? That is fish safe? I have some MG at home now, and
could do it tonight.

BV.

-- yes it is as its diluted so much just watch your concentration,
i cant find how much is in a pkg ( i have the 7.5 lb box ) but im using
1 pkg for 5000 gallons

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 30-07-2003, 10:08 PM
johnrutz

BenignVanilla wrote:
"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
snip

So do you think I could crush the pellets? Or just toss a few in and let
them dissolve in the VF?

snip

Culligan in Elkridge has 40lb bags of pellets for $12.75. They are at 7391
Washington Blvd (Rt. 1), (410) 379-5319. They have it in stock, and are open
weekdays 8-5, 9-3 on Sat. The question now, is can I use pellets?

BV.

yes just put em in the VF where the water is moving thy'll disolve over
an few minutes,
I figure one tab is one oz- BTW

Old 30-07-2003, 10:08 PM
johnrutz

wrote:

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
snip

BV did you reverse the flow in your pond or are you still gravity
feeding your VF?

Im pumping from the fish off the bottom to the VF, and the plants are
doing reasonably well considering the 100+ temps we get all the
dietrus is building up in the plant roots and feeding em that way

Worm quest Built_Well Gardening 2 08-03-2011 08:20 PM
15' CecileBruner Tee-Pee Quest. [email protected] Roses 2 09-05-2005 06:39 PM
Woolly Adelgid Problem Quest. ? (live outside of Boston) Robert11 Gardening 4 20-06-2004 11:05 PM
Miniature Roses quest Linda Roses 0 05-05-2003 04:56 AM
Lemon Thyme Quest Paul England United Kingdom 7 18-01-2003 08:46 AM