Old 31-07-2003, 05:03 AM
Nedra

Default A Quest for Fire...I mean...Potash

Oh Yes!! I'd forgotten the excitement of the first pubic
appearance - it was at the school auditoruim... and people
really did pay to hear them! Dave was the vocalist - did
all the Mason Williams songs so well - I think "2525"
was my favorite. And their theme song was "Proud Mary"!
I had friends call me on the phone just to hear them play that
song Live! But what year was that? I'm stuck in the late
60's - early 70s. The boys babysitter was in Nam (a guy
of course) ... I went over for a year in '69. Humm
I'm at a loss as to when the guys were 'popular' ... lol

Nedra

"K30a" wrote in message
Nedra wrote I am re-living my sons teen years thru your postings.

I find it fascinating how they work, writing songs and lyrics (which don't
always make sense unless you speak teenage-ese...) and also how good their
music is (though is it a good thing a 'mom' likes your stuff?)

I am also amazed at how much they can eat!

This Friday is their first public concert. People have to spend money to

see
them! They've put out a demo CD and *talk* about going on tour next

summer.
Baby brother is working on a website for them so I'll post it when it gets
done.

k30a
yearly brother website posting
http://www.30acreimaging.com/

Old 31-07-2003, 05:22 AM
K30a

The boys are playing in a bar (!!!)
and they are 16 to 18.
But it is 'closed' to drinking and is
an all age concert.
They are basically an alternative rock band.
They played punk versions of Summertime and
Phantom of the Opera this spring for school.
They play all sorts of stuff but they love
the classics from the late 60s. The only
thing they won't even consider - disco!

Old 31-07-2003, 06:20 AM
Nedra

A bar?!!!! Oh My! That's okay... good experience
for them. Sounds like your guys are really into their
music .... which is Great!

Our school aud played to an all ages crowd. That was
one of the few places to go! back in those days anyway.
Their name was "Underground Fire" ...
Dave rigged up a pink and orange (good fire colors)
color scheme ....
He took two of my favorite silk scarfs and tied them onto the
mic - then turned a fan on them so they would wave
in the breeze! What could I say .... everyone loved the look.

Nedra

Old 31-07-2003, 08:02 AM
zookeeper

BenignVanilla wrote:

Culligan in Elkridge has 40lb bags of pellets for $12.75. They are at 7391
Washington Blvd (Rt. 1), (410) 379-5319. They have it in stock, and are open
weekdays 8-5, 9-3 on Sat. The question now, is can I use pellets?

Culligan here offered to deliver supplies. Maybe ask if they will be in
your area later this week? Even if it added a couple dollars to your
total, it might be worth the time you save trying to track it down
elsewhere. (I paid $10 for a 40lb bag -- they said they have to charge
something for the bag, but that the bags have been sitting there for a
year or more. We have veerrry soft water here, so probably not much need
for softening agents.)
--
zookeeper

Old 31-07-2003, 03:32 PM
K30a

Nedra wrote Their name was "Underground Fire"

This group has been through several names. Right now they are Manic Mantra. Not
sure what that means exactly, but that's not the point anyway...
;-)

Old 31-07-2003, 03:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"johnrutz" wrote in message
snip
-- yes it is as its diluted so much just watch your concentration,
i cant find how much is in a pkg ( i have the 7.5 lb box ) but im using
1 pkg for 5000 gallons

snip

I'll have to check my packet sizes. I am at about 3000 gallons based on an
early estimate. Do you think I can combine this with my Potash dosing, or
should I hold off?

BV.

Old 31-07-2003, 03:42 PM
BenignVanilla

"johnrutz" wrote in message
snip
BV did you reverse the flow in your pond or are you still gravity
feeding your VF?

Im pumping from the fish off the bottom to the VF, and the plants are
doing reasonably well considering the 100+ temps we get all the
dietrus is building up in the plant roots and feeding em that way

snip

4'' BD is plumbed to the VF. The pump sits in the VF and forces water to the
pond, which then responds by gravity feeding the VF. This may all change
Sunday. Since I have much liner showing the VF, I plan to sandbag part of
it, and then pump water from lower VF up to higher VF, and let it then
gravity feed back to the main pond. This will hide some liner, and add some
interest.

My VF plants have a root system so dense, I can't pass my hand through the
VF water. I need to move some frogbit out, and find the GF that got sucked
in through the BD. He must be having trouble swimming.

The frogs love the VF. They're making all kinds of noise now.

BV.

Old 31-07-2003, 03:42 PM
BenignVanilla

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
et...
BV,

If you have not been feeding those fish, what have you been waiting for???
As you start to feed, the fish will generate more ammonia, so keep an eye

on
it and let it control the feeding rate. Enjoy the pleasure of feeding the
fish.
--

snip

Not sure...I had intended to feed, but then worried that my design, which
includes many shallows, might attract predators...The fish have been fending
well on algae and skeeters. I am going to try some feeding this week for
fun.

BV.

Old 31-07-2003, 03:42 PM
BenignVanilla

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
et...
BV,

The fertilizer stakes like tree spikes, tomato spikes, or the pond version
PondTabbs can be inserted into the clay in the pots and will really perk

up
the soil planted plants. I don't know how you will get them into the

lotus,
with all that water over your head, but the lotus and lilies will pay you
well for feeding them.

snip

Sunday, I need to dive to finally install my diffuser, so I guess I'll spike
the Lotus then.

BV.

Old 31-07-2003, 03:42 PM
BenignVanilla

"zookeeper" wrote in message
BenignVanilla wrote:

Culligan in Elkridge has 40lb bags of pellets for $12.75. They are at

7391
Washington Blvd (Rt. 1), (410) 379-5319. They have it in stock, and are

open
weekdays 8-5, 9-3 on Sat. The question now, is can I use pellets?

Culligan here offered to deliver supplies. Maybe ask if they will be in
your area later this week? Even if it added a couple dollars to your
total, it might be worth the time you save trying to track it down
elsewhere. (I paid $10 for a 40lb bag -- they said they have to charge
something for the bag, but that the bags have been sitting there for a
year or more. We have veerrry soft water here, so probably not much need
for softening agents.)

Their store is like 4 miles from the house. Not much of a drive.

BV.

Old 31-07-2003, 03:42 PM
BenignVanilla

"Andrew Burgess" wrote in message
"BenignVanilla" writes:

So do you think I could crush the pellets? Or just toss a few in and let
them dissolve in the VF?

I just toss them in the filter. When I used them in the aquarium I tossed

them
in the tank. Some koi took an interest, tastes salty I guess...

My web access is closely tracked here, so I can't google...anyone care to
humor me with a dosage amount?

BV.

Old 31-07-2003, 06:05 PM
john rutz

BenignVanilla wrote:
"johnrutz" wrote in message
snip

-- yes it is as its diluted so much just watch your concentration,
i cant find how much is in a pkg ( i have the 7.5 lb box ) but im using
1 pkg for 5000 gallons

snip

I'll have to check my packet sizes. I am at about 3000 gallons based on an
early estimate. Do you think I can combine this with my Potash dosing, or
should I hold off?

BV.

shure i do both go with the potash first tho and see if that is the
problem ( usualy is )
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 31-07-2003, 06:13 PM
john rutz

"BenignVanilla" writes:

So do you think I could crush the pellets? Or just toss a few in and let
them dissolve in the VF?

I just toss them in the filter. When I used them in the aquarium I tossed

them

in the tank. Some koi took an interest, tastes salty I guess...

My web access is closely tracked here, so I can't google...anyone care to
humor me with a dosage amount?

BV.

sure BV 1 oz per 1000 gallons a litle extra will not hurt

my pellets are aprox 1" pillow shaped and I have dumped in half+ a 44 oz
7-11 cup full at one time

Old 31-07-2003, 08:22 PM
Andrew Burgess

"BenignVanilla" writes:

So do you think I could crush the pellets? Or just toss a few in and let
them dissolve in the VF?

I just toss them in the filter. When I used them in the aquarium I tossed

them
in the tank. Some koi took an interest, tastes salty I guess...

My web access is closely tracked here, so I can't google...anyone care to
humor me with a dosage amount?

I use a handful every ten days or so, maybe 1/4 cup. I do have an
automatic water changer, 24gal/day. About 1000 gal pond.

Worm quest Built_Well Gardening 2 08-03-2011 08:20 PM
15' CecileBruner Tee-Pee Quest. [email protected] Roses 2 09-05-2005 06:39 PM
Woolly Adelgid Problem Quest. ? (live outside of Boston) Robert11 Gardening 4 20-06-2004 11:05 PM
Miniature Roses quest Linda Roses 0 05-05-2003 04:56 AM
Lemon Thyme Quest Paul England United Kingdom 7 18-01-2003 08:46 AM