Old 30-07-2003, 10:21 PM
Sam Hopkins

Default A Quest for Fire...I mean...Potash

Locate this product and start dosing:

http://www.bonideproducts.com/art/ironcomplexc.htm

Sam

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
.. .
low iron in your water.

snip

So I should toss in some rebar? Seriously, how to test/solve?

BV.

Old 30-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Sam Hopkins

Agreed.

"Andrew Burgess" wrote in message
"BenignVanilla" writes:

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
. ..
low iron in your water.

snip

So I should toss in some rebar? Seriously, how to test/solve?

Chelated iron from a garden store. Powder, cheap. I
dump it into the filter.

Chelated is more expensive than just iron sulphate, and somehow
'more available'. I've forgotten too much chemistry to explain
why. K30a?

Might as well get some epsom salts at the grocery store while
you're at it.

Old 30-07-2003, 10:22 PM
K30a

Band is on a break and we hit the web......
Chelated iron has all sorts of goody minerals bound to it for the plants, 10 to
12 minor elements is best, it lasts the longest and seems to be recommended by
all the plant gurus on the web.
Was good to stretch his brain around something other than the bass strings.
Joke: What is the difference between a bass player and a pizza?
~~ The pizza can feed a family of four.

k30a
yearly brother website posting
http://www.30acreimaging.com/
Old 30-07-2003, 10:22 PM
David Modine

Johnsons Garden Center stocks potash. The have several locations in the
DC Metro area.
David

BenignVanilla wrote:

I called two more garden centers yesterday. One can order Potash, and the
other may have 2 bags in storage. I have to call back today. I was told by
one that it was difficult to get because it is the prime ingredient in bombs
used to blow up buildings in Oklahoma. I don't know if that is true, but
living this close to DC, I guess it could make sense. Anyway, still no
potash in hand, and my plants are yellowing.

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

Old 30-07-2003, 10:33 PM
RichToyBox

BV,

If you have not been feeding those fish, what have you been waiting for???
As you start to feed, the fish will generate more ammonia, so keep an eye on
it and let it control the feeding rate. Enjoy the pleasure of feeding the
fish.
--
RichToyBox

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
"ajames54" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 08:59:11 -0400, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:
I was told by
one that it was difficult to get because it is the prime ingredient in

bombs
used to blow up buildings in Oklahoma. I don't know if that is true

Not true ... IIRC Ammonium Nitrate is the chemical they used
while also a fertilizer it is not related to potash...

(no) potash in hand, and my plants are yellowing.

FWIW potash encourages growth .. more and bigger leaves/longer
stems and roots. If your plants are yellowing you need to
encourage photosyntheses ... to do this you are looking at adding

Nitrogen
Iron
Magnesium
Sulphur

Since adding Nitrogen can cause an algae bloom I prefer to start
by adding epsom salts (Magnesium Sulphate) at 1 tsp/1000 gallons
then chealated Iron 7% at 1/2 tsp /1000

If this does not help and it looks like I need to add nitrogen I
remove plants and start feeding the fish more they can supply the
nitrogen.

Would it be a viable solution to start feeding my fish a bit now?

BV.

Old 30-07-2003, 10:47 PM
RichToyBox

BV,

The fertilizer stakes like tree spikes, tomato spikes, or the pond version
PondTabbs can be inserted into the clay in the pots and will really perk up
the soil planted plants. I don't know how you will get them into the lotus,
with all that water over your head, but the lotus and lilies will pay you
well for feeding them.
--
RichToyBox

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
"ajames54" wrote in message
snip
Since adding Nitrogen can cause an algae bloom I prefer to start
by adding epsom salts (Magnesium Sulphate) at 1 tsp/1000 gallons
then chealated Iron 7% at 1/2 tsp /1000

If this does not help and it looks like I need to add nitrogen I
remove plants and start feeding the fish more they can supply the
nitrogen.

Since I seem to have some difficulty in finding additives in my area, what
are your thoughts on using some standard fertilizers in small quantities?
Dissolved into the pond water? Maybe plant spikes for the pots in

question?

BV.

Old 31-07-2003, 01:32 AM
K30a

Darn, I erased all my information I collected!
We could have had my sources and your sources at 20 paces.

Q: What do you call someone who hangs around musicians?

A: A drummer.

Our drummer brought over new *super* drums today, big, black, take up half the
room and can seriously relocate your spinal column. Actually make the
watergardening labradors jump up off the floor when he first starts up.

Old 31-07-2003, 02:45 AM
Nedra

Kathy, I am re-living my sons teen years thru your postings.
LOL! What fun - I so enjoyed their teen years... they
had two rock bands - which practiced every night in
my tiny house (one story - 24' x 44').
Denny was the drummer... had two sets, going constantly.
Dave was the guitarist - had a total of 5!
BTW, they are now 50 and 47 year old men.
Gosh, I do miss those days.

Nedra

"K30a" wrote in message
Darn, I erased all my information I collected!
We could have had my sources and your sources at 20 paces.

Q: What do you call someone who hangs around musicians?

A: A drummer.

Old 31-07-2003, 03:22 AM
K30a

Nedra wrote I am re-living my sons teen years thru your postings.

I find it fascinating how they work, writing songs and lyrics (which don't
always make sense unless you speak teenage-ese...) and also how good their
music is (though is it a good thing a 'mom' likes your stuff?)

I am also amazed at how much they can eat!

This Friday is their first public concert. People have to spend money to see
them! They've put out a demo CD and *talk* about going on tour next summer.
Baby brother is working on a website for them so I'll post it when it gets
done.

Worm quest Built_Well Gardening 2 08-03-2011 08:20 PM
15' CecileBruner Tee-Pee Quest. [email protected] Roses 2 09-05-2005 06:39 PM
Woolly Adelgid Problem Quest. ? (live outside of Boston) Robert11 Gardening 4 20-06-2004 11:05 PM
Miniature Roses quest Linda Roses 0 05-05-2003 04:56 AM
Lemon Thyme Quest Paul England United Kingdom 7 18-01-2003 08:46 AM