Old 04-08-2003, 12:22 AM
Carolyn

Default almost black water

We just had my mom's pond redone this spring. The liner is totally covered
with rocks. There is a filter and skimmer system with a waterfall. The
water was totally clear for about 2 weeks then started to get cloudy. We
were using one type of bacteria, but it wasn't helping. We also used a
product to get rid of string algae, which is gone now. The water just kept
getting darker and murkier. Now we can only see the fish when they come up
to feed. So we tried another type of bacteria which was supposed to work
within a week. Three weeks later, still no improvement. Now we added
barley straw pellets. Still no improvement. What are we doing wrong?? Oh
ya, the guy that did the pond said our pump was too small, but he said it
was the right size when he did the pond. If it was any bigger we would be
blasting the rocks and the fish right out of the pond!

TIA
Carolyn
SW Ontario

Old 04-08-2003, 02:22 AM
Gale Pearce

By redone , I am thinking you had a new liner installed - if so, you are
back to square one - it will take the rest of this summer here in SW Ont to
"mature" the pond, or "cycle" it - until next year it will probably "swing"
back and forth between clear and cloudy - the bacteria additive will help,
but stay away from chemicals and floctulants - they will only prolong the
problem

"Oh ya, the guy that did the pond said our pump was too small, but he said
it
was the right size when he did the pond."

Is he talking about the original pond that was redone bigger or now ? - how
big is the pond and how much water / hour are you filtering? - you should be
filtering at least half the pond / hour - more is better, especially with a
large fish load
That being said, patience is the best cure
Gale :~)

Old 04-08-2003, 02:47 AM
K30a

When you add stuff to kill algae you all af a sudden have lots of dead algae
bodies floating around.
This why we don't like chemicals. New algae will feed on the old algae.
Somebody here had a real problem with a black algae once. I think it was Carol.
And wasn't it a form of blue-green algae? Anyone remember? Carol are you out
there?

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...ors/index.html
Old 04-08-2003, 04:32 AM

Ponds cycle, Yes it was clear for a wile, then it will bloom or cycle for
three weeks or so. Let nature take it's coarse. You can run more pumps to
add O2 and filter with charcoal but time will help.
Good luck.

Old 04-08-2003, 11:04 AM
Sue Walsh

Rich,
Does a pond EVER get to the point where it is clear and one can just
enjoy it, or do we always have cycling back and forth between clear
and clouded? I understand the theory of wait it out(and I agree), but
is there a light at the end of the tunnel?!?

Sue W

Old 04-08-2003, 01:03 PM
Nedra

Sue, Yes there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Your pond will usually cycle at 3 years. Just what I and\
others have found to be true.

Don't have 3 years ... you can keep on beating your head
against that wall :O)

Nedra
m...

Old 04-08-2003, 02:22 PM
BenignVanilla

"Sue Walsh" wrote in message
m...
Rich,
Does a pond EVER get to the point where it is clear and one can just
enjoy it, or do we always have cycling back and forth between clear
and clouded? I understand the theory of wait it out(and I agree), but
is there a light at the end of the tunnel?!?

snip

My pond was infested with orange/clay water. I tried filters, flocculants,
etc. I didn't listen to advice to leave it alone. Then I got busy with work,
took a few days off to go camping, and wouldn't ya know...gin clear water.
The most important pond rule, IMHO, once you have everything in place, and
assuming you have proper filtration...STOP MESSING WITH THE DAMN POND!!! As
simple as that.

I messed with mine this weekend. Moved some plants around, got in and pruned
a few, etc. Now I have cloudy orange water again. I ignored the SMWTDP rule,
and now I can't see my fish. Why am I smiling? Because I know I can SMWTDP
and it will soon be crystal clear.

BV aka The SMWTDP Man

Old 04-08-2003, 03:12 PM
john rutz

K30a wrote:
When you add stuff to kill algae you all af a sudden have lots of dead algae
bodies floating around.
This why we don't like chemicals. New algae will feed on the old algae.
Somebody here had a real problem with a black algae once. I think it was Carol.
And wasn't it a form of blue-green algae? Anyone remember? Carol are you out
there?

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...ors/index.html

-- good memory K30 yup it was us

one of its causes is excess phosphate you can initiate a green algae
bloom which will compete with it for food and hopefully kill it, but it
usualy stays around till water cools in fall.

Rod gave us the formula for stump remover( copper sulfate ) to kill it

its one table spoon per 5000 gallons,1ppm repaeated every two weeks

if there are no plants dosage doesnt matter too much. I used three and
half lbs to kill mine

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 04-08-2003, 03:12 PM
john rutz

--
forgot keep a very close eye on amonia and nitrite when doing the coper
sulfate dosing

Old 05-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Sue Walsh

"Nedra" wrote in message news
Sue, Yes there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Your pond will usually cycle at 3 years. Just what I and\
others have found to be true.

Don't have 3 years ... you can keep on beating your head
against that wall :O)

Nedra

Nedra,
OK, so I'll be 61 when my pond clears, finally. So I'll wait, it will
give me something to look foward to, some excitement in my 'elderly
years' )

In the meantime (while I'm still young enough to understand) can
anyone explain to me why, while at my pond I have to wait(3 years)the
pond which we just put into the Botanical Gardens here in my town only
one month before mine, the water is and has been crystal clear after
the first month? We didn't do anything differently there than I do at
home. We don't add anything chemically to the botanical garden pond.
Why don't we have the same 3 year cycle there? The black and white
comparison is why it's so hard for me to understand this whole thing.

Old 05-08-2003, 03:42 PM
BenignVanilla

"Sue Walsh" wrote in message
om...
"Nedra" wrote in message news
[...]

I can't say I know. I guess we Nedra to explain what she means by cycle. I
know my pond is just one season old now, and the water has "cycled" which in
my mind means it has built up enough bioligical mass to maintain water
quality. My fish, plants, algae and bacteria are balanced. When I stay OUT
of the pond, my water is gin clear.

BV.

Old 05-08-2003, 04:42 PM
K30a

Excessive algae means too many nutrients in the water. Nutrients for algae are
sun, new water, fish poo, fish food, decaying plants, fertilizers and dirt.

What is different about the Botanical Garden pond and your pond. I'm wondering
if it is bigger, less fish, no feeding fish?

Old 06-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Sue Walsh

ESPMER (K30a) wrote in message ...
Excessive algae means too many nutrients in the water. Nutrients for algae are
sun, new water, fish poo, fish food, decaying plants, fertilizers and dirt.

What is different about the Botanical Garden pond and your pond. I'm wondering
if it is bigger, less fish, no feeding fish?

Sun would be the main factor here
Mine is in full Florida sun. Since I wanted a waterlily pond, sun is
essential.
Botanical garden pond is part shade.

Plants
Mine is 2/3 cover by 10 water lilies, with 60 anacharis, 3 small iris,
2 small reeds.
Botanical less than 1/4 coverage, with a mix of plants maybe 20 all
together.

Fish load is low on both with no feeding in either
mine 9 goldfish from 2"-8"
Botanical is 6 goldfish from 5"-6"

Size
Mine is 1650 gallons, surface area about 120 sq ft, with a waterfall
and stream that has 3 drops. There are 2 drops from the headpool to
the stream each about 8" and then it goes along a 22' stream lined
with pebbles to the final 10" drop into the pond.
Botanical is a smaller pond (guess-1000-1100 gallons), with a double
cascade of water down a stone lined 5' hill with the final drop into
the pond of 8" on each cascade.

Dirt
Mine may have some clay from the pots of lilies as I lowered them in,
but no runoff from ground dirt. I can't see the bottom of my pond to
know what's down there.
The Botanical gets a lot of dirt run off from the cascade from between
the rocks, you can see it on the bottom. There is algae on the rocks
of the cascades.

Both ponds have skimmers/filters.
Mine has an additional home made filter box

I run a Pondmaster Magdrive 3600gph punp
Not sure what they use in the Botanical

Value your thoughts and experience on this issue...

Sue W
Old 06-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Nedra

Sue, It could be that your water has "turned" just as several
have already posted. i.e. warmer water on the top has mixed
with cooler water on the bottom. This usually results in
less oxygenated water... as in after a thunderstorm. Watch
the fish and make sure they have plenty of aeration. Also remove
some of the plants... free up some open space in your pond.
Don't be so ready to compare your pond with the Botanical
one... your coming up short and that is not fair to you or to
your pond.

Nedra

om...

Old 06-08-2003, 09:02 PM
K30a

Could be the sun that is making the difference.

What do lilies need?
At least 5 or 6 hours?
(I'm not the best lily grower in the world...)
Maybe you can shade it after it gets its required hours?