Old 07-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Neil Law

Default Redoing pond

I've hired someone to come in and fix my pond (I'm tired of the sides collapsing
all the time) and to add 2 new bogs. Naturally I'm going to have to remove all
of my fish. I have 2 full size koi, 5 baby koi and about 20 gold fish of varying
sizes.

My plan was to fill a 100 gallon stock tank with pond water to keep them in
during the construction (it's the biggest thing I have). I plan on putting a net
over the tank and will revive a 5 gallon pail filter I created.

The plants will go in various buckets, except for floaters which will go in the
stock tank.

The landscaper estimates about 2 days to do the work. I would expect in total
that the fish would be in the tank for about a week before they can go back in.

Any precautions about keeping the fish in the tank during that time?

Any advice on returning them back to the pond?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:03 PM
Sam Hopkins

That's a lot of fish in 100 gallons of water. By full size koi do you mean
18"?

Go to walmart and get some rubbermaid containers. They are cheap, will do
the trick, and you'll have storage boxes after it's all done.

If not I'd be concerned that ammonia or nitirites will kill everything off
in the 100 gallon tank since you're starting fresh.

Old 09-08-2003, 02:37 PM
Neil Law

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 14:07:48 -0400, "Sam Hopkins"
wrote:

That's a lot of fish in 100 gallons of water. By full size koi do you mean
18"?

Go to walmart and get some rubbermaid containers. They are cheap, will do
the trick, and you'll have storage boxes after it's all done.

If not I'd be concerned that ammonia or nitirites will kill everything off
in the 100 gallon tank since you're starting fresh.

The Koi are about 12 inches at this point. I was hoping that between the filter
and daily water changes I could keep things up.

I do have a couple of other rubbermaid containers I could use (plants were going
to go into them) but I figured it would be easier for all if they were kept to
one container.
Old 18-08-2003, 05:03 AM
Karen Mullen

Neil

I moved 30 fish including 15" koi from Houston to Ohio (a 3 day trip) in large
styrofoam koolers and they all did just fine. I have 3 air stones in each
cooler and did a water change about every 8 hours so I would think your fish
would be fine in 100 gallons if you keep up with them.

Karen

In article , Neil Law
writes:

The landscaper estimates about 2 days to do the work. I would expect in total
that the fish would be in the tank for about a week before they can go back
in.

Any precautions about keeping the fish in the tank during that time?

Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Redoing bulkheads ~ jan[_3_] Ponds (moderated) 1 09-04-2008 05:49 PM
Redoing the lawn Carlo Lawns 0 21-04-2007 03:47 PM
Redoing the Rose Garden Anne Lurie Roses 3 01-10-2004 04:11 PM
Help with redoing the lawn (sod on bad, rocky ground) FGreen Lawns 36 20-05-2004 10:08 PM
redoing old bermuda grass yard Gary E Gardening 1 02-07-2003 12:20 PM