Old 13-08-2003, 09:42 PM
FBCS

Default Skippy Filter man says....

Man from Skippy filter (maybe Skippy, I don't know) say to get rid of my UV
if I use his filter. Can someone expound on this?

Old 14-08-2003, 03:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:30:00 GMT, "FBCS" wrote:

Man from Skippy filter (maybe Skippy, I don't know) say to get rid of my UV
if I use his filter. Can someone expound on this?

Depending on pond type, many people find with a Skippy filter, or a filter
like mine, they don't need their UV after a couple of years, at least
that's what I'm guessing Skippy is talking about. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 14-08-2003, 06:09 AM
FBCS

He said, if i understood correctly, that it would defeat the purpose of the
filter to have a UV.

Old 14-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Paul

If you have the UV running and trying to start a new filter the UV will kill
all the bacteria you are trying to cultivate to do the biological filtration
of the water. The UV should be turned off for at this a week or two to let
the culture grow and you may find you never need to turn it on again if the
filter traps all the fine particals

Paul

Old 14-08-2003, 02:12 PM
BenignVanilla

"Paul" wrote in message
If you have the UV running and trying to start a new filter the UV will

kill
all the bacteria you are trying to cultivate to do the biological

filtration
of the water. The UV should be turned off for at this a week or two to

let
the culture grow and you may find you never need to turn it on again if

the
filter traps all the fine particals

But if you UV before your bio-filter, or after...doesn't that avoid the
problem of killing your biomass? I thought UV was only detrimental to your
biofilter if it is in the filter.

BV.

Old 14-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Paul

UV will kill everything so you need a period of no UV to allow you bacteria
to grow. I don't see any advantage using a UV after filtering as its main
job is to cause stuff to clumb together to be filtered out by machanical
filtration.

Paul

Old 14-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Theo van Daele

No !

Look, I'm not a pond wizard, but a UV can only kill what comes past it. Do
you agree ?

It may slow down the "established filter" ideal, but it can never ever kill
bacteria that don't run past it, or have nested in a bio-converter.

The main reason for not turning on your UV too soon is that you are supposed
to have an ammonia/nitrite spike, and that the suspended algae do consume a
part of this. Turning it on too soon may make that spike worse. Clear
water versus healthy water. Suspended algae are your friend in a startup
situation.

UV will never "kill everything". Pre nor post filter.

Let's not make the misunderstandings even bigger.

Theo

"Paul" schreef in bericht

Old 14-08-2003, 08:23 PM
FBCS

They state per website "This is a bio-Logical filter, therefore all those
fancy UV's and other such stuff are useless. Actually usig a UV with a
biological filter is an oxymoron. The UV kills the bacteria along with the
algae spores and bacterium are one of the keys to make the biological
process happen."

I didn't want to create a stink I just don't understand. Everyone raves
about this filter and I want to use it as my falls. Joann

Old 15-08-2003, 06:00 AM
RichToyBox

"FBCS" wrote in message
Man from Skippy filter (maybe Skippy, I don't know) say to get rid of my

UV
if I use his filter. Can someone expound on this?

There are the pro UV people, many of them sell them, and there are the

anti UV people, most of them don't have them to sell. The UV will kill many
things that go through the UV, by attacking the DNA. Personally, I use UV
on my ponds because it adds a level of clarity that I cannot get without the
UV. The filter bacteria are a type of bacteria that requires an material to
anchor itself to, or so I am told. If it is anchored to the filter media,
rocks, liner, plant roots, pots, piping, etc., how is it supposed to get
into the flow of the UV. I think Skippy is probably trying to make people
think his filter is better than it is. The filter is a good filter, but all
filters can be overloaded with too many fish, or too big of fish or both.
The first thing to go is generally the clarity of the pond, then the other
water quality issues.
--
RichToyBox

Old 15-08-2003, 09:12 AM
Paul

The info you get when buying a combined filter and uv such as a green genie
state not to turn the uv on for a week or so to let the filter get
established, that is where i got that info from.

I agree that the uv will only kill what goes past it and depending on the
power of the uv it will kill/remove different things.

Paul

Old 15-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Lee Brouillet

UV's will kill single cell algae, the ones responsible for "green water".
MOST UV's, and I make that statement with confidence - do NOT kill bacteria.
The wattage necessary, and the dwell time of the water while exposed to the
light, just isn't within the reach of most of us. Like a lot of equipment
aimed at ponders, the capabilities of a UV are very overstated. That being
said, the UV can *only* kill that which passes through it. The biobugs
growing in the biofilm growing in your filters is static: it doesn't move,
is not exposed to the UV, and is not subject to annihalation by it. Want to
kill green algae? Get a UV. Want to kill string algae, bacteria, etc.? Find
something else.

Lee