Old 15-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Sam Hopkins

Default Skippy Filter man says....

It's easy to see what UV's do when you have them in aquariums. A lot of
aquariums have white cloudy water. This is caused by bacterial blooms. With
UV you dont get them and therefore your water isn't cloudy. Also my tanks
that are highly stocked with fish that have NO UV have green water. It's not
soupy, just green. It started with one tank and got transfered to the rest
because I use the same buckets to change water, etc. My tanks with UV do not
get green water. So in a nut shell UV in aquariums fix the two biggest
complaints aquarium people have. Green and white cloudy water.

Sam

"RichToyBox" wrote in message

"FBCS" wrote in message
Man from Skippy filter (maybe Skippy, I don't know) say to get rid of my

UV
if I use his filter. Can someone expound on this?

There are the pro UV people, many of them sell them, and there are the

anti UV people, most of them don't have them to sell. The UV will kill

many
things that go through the UV, by attacking the DNA. Personally, I use UV
on my ponds because it adds a level of clarity that I cannot get without

the
UV. The filter bacteria are a type of bacteria that requires an material

anchor itself to, or so I am told. If it is anchored to the filter media,
rocks, liner, plant roots, pots, piping, etc., how is it supposed to get
into the flow of the UV. I think Skippy is probably trying to make people
think his filter is better than it is. The filter is a good filter, but

all
filters can be overloaded with too many fish, or too big of fish or both.
The first thing to go is generally the clarity of the pond, then the other
water quality issues.
--
RichToyBox

Old 15-08-2003, 05:02 PM
FBCS

Lee, That statement makes sense, a light just went off in my mind.
"the UV can *only* kill that which passes through it. The biobugs
growing in the biofilm growing in your filters is static: it doesn't move,
is not exposed to the UV, and is not subject to annihalation by it. "

Thanks Joann

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
UV's will kill single cell algae, the ones responsible for "green water".
MOST UV's, and I make that statement with confidence - do NOT kill

bacteria.
The wattage necessary, and the dwell time of the water while exposed to

the
light, just isn't within the reach of most of us. Like a lot of equipment
aimed at ponders, the capabilities of a UV are very overstated. That being
said, the UV can *only* kill that which passes through it. The biobugs
growing in the biofilm growing in your filters is static: it doesn't move,
is not exposed to the UV, and is not subject to annihalation by it. Want

kill green algae? Get a UV. Want to kill string algae, bacteria, etc.?

Find
something else.

Lee

Old 15-08-2003, 05:12 PM
BenignVanilla

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
.. .
It's easy to see what UV's do when you have them in aquariums. A lot of
aquariums have white cloudy water. This is caused by bacterial blooms.

With
UV you dont get them and therefore your water isn't cloudy. Also my tanks
that are highly stocked with fish that have NO UV have green water. It's

not
soupy, just green. It started with one tank and got transfered to the rest
because I use the same buckets to change water, etc. My tanks with UV do

not
get green water. So in a nut shell UV in aquariums fix the two biggest
complaints aquarium people have. Green and white cloudy water.

snip

My only aquarium problem is algae on the glass. If someone could solve that.
I'd be overjoyed.

BV.

Old 15-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Andrew Burgess

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
UV can *only* kill that which passes through it. The biobugs
growing in the biofilm growing in your filters is static: it doesn't move,
is not exposed to the UV, and is not subject to annihalation by it.

Considering a NEW filter with no biofilm. Water flows past it. If the water has
lots of nitrifying bacteria then the new biofilm will grow faster. The bacteria
come from the other surfaces in the established pond.

Whether the effect is significant is the question. Does a UV make establishing
the filter take an hour/day/week longer? Certainly the effect is less if the
water coming from the filter is UV'ed rather then the water going to it. But again,
I wonder how much.

Since it costs nothing to leave the UV off while establishing a new filter, that
is what I would do.

Old 15-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Andrew Burgess

"Lee Brouillet" writes:

UV's will kill single cell algae, the ones responsible for "green water".
MOST UV's, and I make that statement with confidence
- do NOT kill bacteria.

So convince _us_. Got any references?

Old 15-08-2003, 06:32 PM

do a search of UV, strength, contact time, etc. UV is ok for killing bacteria in
"drinking water" read gin clear when big sucker UV lights are used. get some other
particulates in there and it doesnt really kill much of anything., algae is a huge
organism and the UV roughs up the cell walls making algae clot and sending it to the
filter or to the bottom (where it dies from lack of light). our typical little UV
lights and the speed of water moving thru there limits its application to getting rid
of algae. Ingrid

Andrew Burgess wrote:

"Lee Brouillet" writes:

UV's will kill single cell algae, the ones responsible for "green water".
MOST UV's, and I make that statement with confidence
- do NOT kill bacteria.

So convince _us_. Got any references?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 15-08-2003, 06:32 PM

that algae is a nitrate sponge and if your power goes out it will soak up some
wastes. it is a good buffer and when nice green the fish actually look good against
it. for the front glass use an aquarium sponge with a capful of peroxide on it.
Ingrid

"BenignVanilla" wrote:
My only aquarium problem is algae on the glass. If someone could solve that.
I'd be overjoyed.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 15-08-2003, 08:20 PM
Lee Brouillet

All right, I'll back off: you CAN buy UV *sterilizers* for water, designed
for household or institutional water supplies. To find one that handles the
kind of flow that ponds have you need to go to a 285 watt UV that will
handle about 3,000 gph and costs $3,688.00. That's HARDLY in the same class
as the 40 watt or less UV's that most ponders use. Perhaps I erred in
"assuming" that you wouldn't have a $4000 UV attached to your pond. Mea
culpa.

Lee

Old 16-08-2003, 12:32 AM
Theo van Daele

What ? You don't have a 4000 EUR (posh eh ;-) ) UV ? Silly woman :-)

UV sterilizers need to be either very big indeed or the water has to run
past it very very slowly.

Oh well, one can only do so much testing or reading about testing... our
"good" bacteria are in water, air, ice, your nose, and they will find your
pond/filter, if you want it or not. UV or not.

It *IS* a good idea to not turn a UV on too soon when you are running in a
new filter, but not because it would kill the bacteria in there. It won't
and it can't.

As a small aside: most of the tap water in the Netherlands is purified with
UV's (big mofos), and in Belgium they are starting to do the same in some
areas. No more chlorine. Good that, I think.

FWIW, I do have a UV (36 watts) and used it for 14 days in 5 years to get
rid of an algae bloom (after I rebuilt the pond).

Theo

"Lee Brouillet" schreef in bericht

Old 16-08-2003, 01:02 AM
Andrew Burgess

"Lee Brouillet" writes:

All right, I'll back off: you CAN buy UV *sterilizers* for water, designed
for household or institutional water supplies. To find one that handles the
kind of flow that ponds have you need to go to a 285 watt UV that will
handle about 3,000 gph and costs $3,688.00. That's HARDLY in the same class
as the 40 watt or less UV's that most ponders use.

Killing all bacteria and killing no bacteria are not the only outcomes. Of
course UV kills bacteria, even sunlight kills bacteria. A pond UV kills
batcteria, but not enough to make unpotable water safe to drink.

"Lee Brouillet" writes:

MOST UV's, and I make that statement with confidence
- do NOT kill bacteria.

Still a false statement.

Old 16-08-2003, 06:22 AM
Karen Mullen

In article , "BenignVanilla"
writes:

My only aquarium problem is algae on the glass. If someone could solve that.
I'd be overjoyed.

Absolutely no sun on the tank. In Houston, my tank was out of the sun
completely, here in Ohio it gets morning sun ,tho very slight, on it and my
glass has green growing on it within a week. I have no place to put it in this
house where it's out of the sun unless I put it in a closet g.
Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 16-08-2003, 04:22 PM

I am a microbiologist meaning I learned it all a while ago for an exam, but at least
I can still read the literature. In all the sites dealing with using UV to kill
microbes in water (with big sucker units) they specifically talk about how
particulates in the water render the sterilizing ability ineffective. Not muddy
water, particulates. The typical dinglenuts UV we use on ponds is nowhere near the
size used to purify water. It is also nowhere near strong enough to kill a plant,
not even a floating single celled plant. Ingrid

Andrew Burgess wrote:
writes:
do a search of UV, strength, contact time, etc. UV is ok for killing bacteria in

"drinking water" read gin clear when big sucker UV lights are used. get some other
particulates in there and it doesnt really kill much of anything.,

Sounds like nonsense. Sure in muddy water but not clear pond water.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 16-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Andrew Burgess

In article , "BenignVanilla"
writes:

My only aquarium problem is algae on the glass. If someone could solve that.
I'd be overjoyed.

Have you tried the magnetic glass scrapers? At least your hands don't get wet ;-)