Old 02-09-2003, 07:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default K30a - OT

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 11:47:06 -0700, "Bob H"
wrote:

Jan, I too live in E. Wa. (Spokane) and have been living with the smoke and
with trouble breathing, I have the big D as well (DX 3/99)....please relay
to her that if she wants to talk when she gets home to email me at

Will do. I have one correction, she was taken up there Friday night, not
Saturday. I visited with her today, she looked good, good color, perky, but
the blood say otherwise, they may keep her till Wednesday! I guess they
must like her as much as we do. ;o) If so, they had better start
considering computer terminals, within 5 minutes of my visit she asked how
RP was doing. They're going to have to deal with newsgroup withdraw if they
don't get her out of there real soon. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 02-09-2003, 07:42 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

P.S. I am a big fan of Atkins diet and it is supposedly very good for
controlling certain types of diabetes. For anyone who knows K30a well
enough to know if she would care to have the information, here is a link if
you want to give it to her.

http://atkins.com/science/researchsu...cdiabetes.html

Thanks for the website DKat, I looked it over just to make sure it was the
diet I had in my head when my doctor mentioned it to me. I've sort of
followed his plan, before it was a plan. My downfall.... SUGAR... in
unlikely places, like things that say 100% fruit whatever.... read the
label my doctor says. Geeze, it's so much work, I'm thinking the caveman
diet is looking better and better, buy nothin' in a box and be suspicious
of bags, unless you're baggin' it yourself! ;o) ~ jan

Old 02-09-2003, 08:03 AM
Karen Mullen

In article m, ~ jan
JJsPond.us writes:

Just a note to let you know our beloved K30a has been in the hospital

Kathy,

warmest thoughts and prayers are with you for a speedy recovery.

good thing is diabetes is controllable...come back soon,

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 02-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Sue Walsh

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote in message ws.com...
Hiya,

Just a note to let you know our beloved K30a has been in the hospital all
Labor Day weekend. We're hoping she'll be home by Tuesday. She was having
some trouble breathing, must have been pretty bad, her DH took her into the
ER Saturday evening and twas found she has Diabetes. So send her good
vibes. ~ jan

So sorry to hear this news. Please let her know we are keeping her in prayers.

Sue W
Old 02-09-2003, 02:22 PM
LeeAnne

Oh Yikes, just got back to the virtual pond this morning and read this . . .
my thoughts and vibes are w/her.

Come back soon K30a!!!

~LeeAnne

Old 02-09-2003, 04:02 PM
O3raledale

Our thoughts and prayers are with you K30a. Get well soon.
-Pat
Old 02-09-2003, 04:02 PM

If you arent diabetic, then you can use a variation of the diet. Mine is no
starches, but I eat veggies and a small amount of fruit. Interestingly, after a
while on the diet (a couple weeks) all my cravings for carbos went. They do pop up
once in a while of course. Also interesting is I am sure I eat much less meat than
most people on other diets. I just eat less of everything cause I am rarely hungry.

Yeah. get rid of anything in boxes or cans. My favorites are salad with "things"
usually chicken cut in strips, veggies, fruit ... with a sprinkle of shredded cheese
on top. You can eat in any restaurant and find both marinated meats and big salads.
Just dont let em bring around the dessert cart. LOL. Ingrid

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
Thanks for the website DKat, I looked it over just to make sure it was the
diet I had in my head when my doctor mentioned it to me. I've sort of
followed his plan, before it was a plan. My downfall.... SUGAR... in
unlikely places, like things that say 100% fruit whatever.... read the
label my doctor says. Geeze, it's so much work, I'm thinking the caveman
diet is looking better and better, buy nothin' in a box and be suspicious
of bags, unless you're baggin' it yourself! ;o) ~ jan

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 02-09-2003, 05:02 PM
joe

Kathy,

Take it easy and know our thoughts are with you.

Joe

Old 02-09-2003, 05:22 PM
Theo van Daele

As an aside: it's funny how you see only the real value of people after they
are not there anymore for a few days eh ...

Kathy *always* replies to stuff here. You expect so. It's her duty. With
green pond FAQs or heron FAQs or great stories about those 2 doggies. She
replies.

Then suddenly she doesn't :-(

I hope you can somehow print this out and get it to her Jan :-) I never
met her, but I'm 100% sure she's a very very nice lady.

I hope she becomes our "wallpaper" (please read the above if you think this
is in any way insulting) very soon again :-)

Theo

"LeeAnne" schreef in bericht
Oh Yikes, just got back to the virtual pond this morning and read this . .

..

Old 02-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Axolotl

I am very sorry to hear that she not well.
Please pass on my best wishes, and I hope we will see her back here very
soon.
AXO

Old 02-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Gary Woods

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

Just a note to let you know our beloved K30a has been in the hospital all
Labor Day weekend. We're hoping she'll be home by Tuesday

Please post updates.... can you send an address for cards, perhaps by
private email? My address is pretty much good, though you might lose the
pink lunchmeat.

The good news is that lots of support and company is available, and if the
damage wasn't too bad before the Drs. figured it out, good management is
possible.

(My fingers aren't even sore!)

Cheers!

Old 02-09-2003, 07:12 PM
dkat

Sorry if this is long.... I have just dieted my whole life and done the yoyo
of weight gain and lost for decades. For the first time that isn't
happening with me. I was also suffering from depressing fatigue which is
now gone. I'm at the weight I should be, I feel healthy and I just want to
pass on what has worked for me.

I definitely follow a "modified" Atkins diet - it is a combination of
Perricone's and Atkins' diet. I use the calculator on the Atkins site to
pick out the high/carb low/fiber items to avoid. Remember to look at the
column that modifies how many carbohydrates are in an item by how much fiber
it has (net carbohydrates). I eat everything that falls below the 11 carb
cutoff (except meat - I don't eat mammals as I said).

I think the easiest way to do the Atkins' diet is to avoid processed food
all together since almost all of it is high in refined sugars and empty
carbs. More generally I eat lots of vegetables (minus potatoes, corn,
leeks) a great deal of fruit in the melon and berries category (no bananas,
dried fruit, fruit juice, apples or pears), cheese (not lowfat cheese which
is high in carbs - so I happily eat the rich 4% cottage cheese and avoid the
lowfat), eggs and lots of salmon.

If you can give up refined sugar, flour (bread, pasta, cakes and pies),
cereals (rice) and and a very small number of vegetables and fruits it is
by far one of the easiest ways to lose weight and feel better (also look
younger... that is the comment I most often get). Things such as cabbage,
cauliflower and soy chips have that starchy feel about them yet are fine to
eat. Like you though, once I stopped eating high carb/low fiber foods I
stopped craving them and I just eat the 'pseudo starchy' foods because they
go well with the meal. I don't worry about using olive oil freely as well
as cream so the food I eat tastes rich and statisfying and I eat as much as
I want.

I don't feel like I'm on a starvation diet that I'm just waiting to get off
of. This is really a life change. I seldom feel I "need" a special desert
treat and when I do blueberries with cream with a touch of sugar more than
satisfies me. I do buy a bar of Seattle chocolates Dark Chocoate Truffle
bar (Pike Place Expresso) when I am at Targets and keep it around when I
need my chocolate fix. When my husband has his "required" chocolate cake
desert when eating out I have one bite and that is more than enough for me.
I never thought I would say that. DK

P.S. Dr Perricone diet recommendations used to be easy to find. That is
not the case anymore unless you go to the library or buy the book. The
foods he highly recommends are

Wild salmon (canned is wild if you can't get it in the store) first then any
salmon.
Seafood/salmon of any kind
Berries
Cantaloupe
Green tea

Avoid

Sugar and empty starches (potatoes/white rice/flour).

http://www.50plushealth.com/index.cf...leAction=print

"Dr Perricone also advises people to ditch the traditional notions of lunch
and dinner in favour of "grazing" - eating four to five small, well-balanced
meals a day. Each should consist of protein (chicken or fish), a good source
of carbohydrates (fresh veg and fruit) and a small amount of unsaturated fat
(olive oil or nuts such as almonds or macadamias).
Eating smart
This style of eating keeps insulin levels balanced and avoids overloading
the body with sugars, says Dr Perricone. Sugar seemingly is another ally of
ageing. It interacts with collagen in a way that creates a phenomenon called
glycosylation, which makes skin inflexible and prone to age spots.

Other foods on the blacklist are red meat - too inflammatory - and
carbohydrates such as potatoes and peas, which kick off a chain reaction
involved in the ageing process, plus bananas, breads, carrots, cereals, rice
and pasta.

Carbs that get the thumbs up, however, are asparagus, beans, citrus fruits,
leafy greens, blueberries and melons. And antioxidant winners include
avocado, pineapple, salmon and tomatoes. Fish also helps you take advantage
of another nutrient that fights inflammation - omega 3 essential fatty
acids. Best sources include salmon, mackerel, herring, anchovies and trout.
"

http://www.substance.com/perricone/p...533693,00.html

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
Thanks for the website DKat, I looked it over just to make sure it was

the
diet I had in my head when my doctor mentioned it to me. I've sort of
followed his plan, before it was a plan. My downfall.... SUGAR... in
unlikely places, like things that say 100% fruit whatever.... read the
label my doctor says. Geeze, it's so much work, I'm thinking the caveman
diet is looking better and better, buy nothin' in a box and be suspicious
of bags, unless you're baggin' it yourself! ;o) ~ jan

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 02-09-2003, 11:44 PM
dhponder

Prayers and good vibes are coming from here. She will do well, just know
it in my heart.

deanna

Old 03-09-2003, 07:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

The latest is, she might be coming home tomorrow (Wednesday). I'm surprised
with all the good vibes coming from here that she didn't come home today.
She will see all your messages, as I'm sure RP will be first and foremost
on her mind, after she answers her e-mail. ;o) ~ jan

Old 03-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Lee Brouillet

WOW! While all of us were having a long weekend - Kathy was having a L-O-N-G
weekend :-( . Diabetes is sneaky; I'm happy for her that they found it
(hopefully) in time, before it caused her permanent damage. Get well soon,
Kid! (and lay off the chocolate, unless you can find some of that sugarless
kind G!)

Lee

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
s.com...
Hiya,

Just a note to let you know our beloved K30a has been in the hospital all
Labor Day weekend. We're hoping she'll be home by Tuesday. She was having
some trouble breathing, must have been pretty bad, her DH took her into

the
ER Saturday evening and twas found she has Diabetes. So send her good
vibes. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

OT diets - OT K30a - (welcome back K30a!) D Kat Ponds 0 04-09-2003 09:54 PM
Hey k30a ? Bob H Ponds 6 14-08-2003 10:43 PM
K30a: illegal parrots feather Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 4 12-07-2003 09:32 PM
k30a... are you a biologist? a teacher? Don Ponds 9 27-06-2003 03:08 PM
Thanks K30A Sue Alexandre Ponds 1 18-05-2003 05:56 AM