Old 02-09-2003, 12:12 AM
Loretta,Victoria, B.C.

Default peas

Hi: Can anyone please tell me whether you have to "skin" the peas before
you feed them to the fish. I usually do and find it's a pain as I have
quite a few goldfish and find it takes too much time to get enough of them
skinned. Just thought it would be so much easier to just throw them into
the pond. I thought that maybe the skins would be too tough for them to
swallow or digest. What do you do? TIA
Loretta

--
~~~Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be
changed regularly and for the same reason.~~~

Old 02-09-2003, 12:33 AM
Anne Lurie

Loretta, sweetie, if you are willing to shell peas for *anybody* -- let
alone fish! -- I invite you to spend the winter here in sunny warm North
Carolina!

You winter here, I summer in "supernatural BC" (tourism campaign) --
sounds like a good deal to me!

Love your tagline about politicians! Sorry that I have no answers about
skinning the peas (I never even knew that goldfish would eat peas!)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

. ca...

Old 02-09-2003, 01:02 AM
Loretta,Victoria, B.C.

Sounds like a good idea to me! I haven't seen that part of the country
(NC). We haven't had any fires here either which is lucky for us. As for
the peas and goldfish - they love them - especially since I "shell" them.
Kind of like "peeling grapes" for the one you love!! But as I said, it just
takes too long so I was looking for an easier way to give them to the fish.

. com...

Old 02-09-2003, 02:12 AM
dkat

This may be a silly question by why don't you just give them the peas you
buy shelled in large bags in the frozen foods area?

And the next silly question is how do you tell the difference between a
statesman and a politician?

DK

Old 02-09-2003, 05:06 AM
Loretta,Victoria, B.C.

"dkat" wrote in message
. net...
This may be a silly question by why don't you just give them the peas you
buy shelled in large bags in the frozen foods area?

It is the frozen peas that I give them. But I also take the "skins" off the
individual pea. I thought that the skin might be hard for them to eat or
digest. I wondered if anyone just threw the frozen pea into the pond just
as it came out of the bag.

And the next silly question is how do you tell the difference between a

statesman and a politician?

I have no idea! What is it?

Loretta, Victoria, B.C.

Old 02-09-2003, 08:03 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 04:00:04 GMT, "Loretta,Victoria, B.C." wrote:

It is the frozen peas that I give them. But I also take the "skins" off the
individual pea. I thought that the skin might be hard for them to eat or
digest. I wondered if anyone just threw the frozen pea into the pond just
as it came out of the bag.

Well I let them defrost first, then I throw them into the koi pond. As far
as my goldfish, the few I still have inside and not out in the lily pond
right now, I slightly squish the pea, but they eat them skin an all. There
was something going around a year or so go about the peas needing to be
pricked/popped, I've yet to figure out why. If I can squish them, a fish's
mouth could too.

Btw, peas are a really good source of greens for any carp-type fish, I feed
mine a daily dose.

You can also take frozen peas and run them thru the chopper of your food
processor to make smaller pieces. These can be stored frozen and fed
straight from the container as they thaw the minute they hit the water. Do
not feed whole frozen peas (or chunks of the small pieces) to orandas, the
cold can affect them just like being in cold water and they will flip over.
Otoh, peas can help some goldfish with swim bladder problems, if it is
vitamin deficiency that is the cause. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 02-09-2003, 08:03 AM
Karen Mullen

In article ,
"Loretta,Victoria, B.C." writes:

I wondered if anyone just threw the frozen pea into the pond just
as it came out of the bag.

I do, I put the amount I'm going to feed into a glass and run them under warm
water til they thaw (usually just a few minutes) and them feed them to the
fish. Sometimes, the pea just pops out of the shell on its own and I leave it
behind, but I've never noticed the fish having a problem eating the "whole"
pea.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 02-09-2003, 04:22 PM
dkat

Wow, I thought you were talking about the pod.... We laughed about my Mom
feeding her cats ground sirloin while my Dad got ground round... I think you
may have passed her in that league.

My guess is that fish need roughage just as much as we do to keep the
digestive system healthy. It is that indigestible stuff that allows the
undigested junk to be pushed through the system easily. I'm sure one of the
fish experts here will let you know. You have given me my grin for the day.
DK

P.S. Do you ever get compared to Monk? I ask because I do and I was just
curious if I have met a fellow Monk personality...

"Loretta,Victoria, B.C." wrote in message
. ca...
. net...

Old 02-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Jerrispond

I thought that the skin might be hard for them to eat ordigest. I wondered
if anyone just threw the frozen pea into the pond justas it came out of the
bag.

Yep that is what I do....I do however defrost them in a little warm water
first....thinking the frozen pea may be bad for them
......cold....brrrr.....My koi eat a bunch of them, the goldfish I do squeeze a
few for the smaller ones, but throw in the whole thing......I don't feed them
very often as they have a laxative effect on the fish Jerri

Old 02-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Jerrispond

I do, I put the amount I'm going to feed into a glass and run them under
warmwater til they thaw (usually just a few minutes) and them feed them to

the
fish. Sometimes, the pea just pops out of the shell on its own and I leaveit
behind,

LOL I should have read ahead...Jerri

Old 03-09-2003, 07:12 AM
Loretta,Victoria, B.C.

Thanks everyone - you've answered my question and saved me many hours of
de-skinning peas. (All for the love of my fish) Glad I gave some of you a
large smile ;)
Loretta, Victoria, B.C.