Old 12-09-2003, 06:12 PM
LeeAnne

Default Younger daughter says I am a terrorist

Um, don't get me wrong - I'm curious though . . . do you let your unfixed
female cat out to roam?

LeeAnne

"Theo van Daele" wrote in message
Thanks Kathy,

She's still gone, but I hope she's just tangled in some love orgy (she was

bit frisky last week...) and will come back when ... erm... you know

Old 12-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Theo van Daele

The answer is... a very long story.

We used to get our cats "fixed" out of habit. We know that they have a
better chance of survival, and frankly, make nicer pets.

But...

Que myself with a "but honey, do we really have the right to just fix them ?
Humans can decide for themselves (hopefully), but can we decide it for our
cats ?"

Enter: long discussions, the following is just a synopsis, but basically I
thought: why not let her have at least one nest, and then we'll do the
"fixing". We'll "mate her" with another Coon, so we can easily give the
nest a warm home (money would go to the breeder BTW)

I wish I hadn't brought up that idea in hindsight :-)

My wife first thought "oh dear, Theo is going all treehuggy", then she got
used to the idea, next thing, she desperately wants kittens from Edina.

Problem is: Edina refuses to get frisky... or even better: she doesn't want
us to know.

So one day we catch here doing it with Archibald (8 year old Coon, who was
duly fixed), but let's say he does know the game, but really doesn't know
how to do a touch-down. Off we go with Edina to the lady/breeder where we
bought all our cats from. Problem again: Edina doesn't like those fully
equipped males one bit. In fact, she tries to rip them apart LOL. So
after a few days lady brings cat back "she obviously doesn't want it, and
she's quite agressive"...

5 months go by. She lost all intrest in "it". Suddenly, last week, we
see dear old Archibald on top of her again. Now of course, we had done a
lot of thinking (strange environment, maybe she likes silver tabby's like
Archibald), so we called the nice lady again. Sex-R-Us appears on our
doorstep the next day with a *beautiful* male, such a nice animal.

Male gets released in the same room as Edina. Makes all the right noises
("hello luv, have I seen you before ? " yada yada ;-). Edina goes at him
like she was shot from a cannon and tries to rip his eyes out . We
try everything to calm her down, but she doesn't want to see that slick SOB
at all.

3 hours go by, no difference.

So lady goes home. We feel a bit stupid.

15 minutes later :

http://www.wide-o.net/cats/PICT0001.JPG

AAARRGHHHHH !!!

Archibald on top of her again...

If you want to see the whole "courting/lovegame" (amazing BTW) see

http://www.wide-o.net/cats/PICT0002.JPG
http://www.wide-o.net/cats/PICT0003.JPG
http://www.wide-o.net/cats/PICT0004.JPG
http://www.wide-o.net/cats/PICT0005.JPG
http://www.wide-o.net/cats/PICT0006.JPG
http://www.wide-o.net/cats/PICT0007.JPG
http://www.wide-o.net/cats/PICT0008.JPG
http://www.wide-o.net/cats/PICT0009.JPG
http://www.wide-o.net/cats/PICT0010.JPG
http://www.wide-o.net/cats/PICT0011.JPG
http://www.wide-o.net/cats/PICT0012.JPG
http://www.wide-o.net/cats/PICT0013.JPG
http://www.wide-o.net/cats/PICT0014.JPG
http://www.wide-o.net/cats/PICT0015.JPG
http://www.wide-o.net/cats/PICT0016.JPG
http://www.wide-o.net/cats/PICT0017.JPG

Ahum...

Obviously, Archibald doesn't really do the job, as much as she is "in love"
with him.

2 days later, she manages to "escape" whilst I went out to feed the fish
(hey, on topic or what ) That was 3 days ago....

Still, my fault...

:-)

Theo

"LeeAnne" schreef in bericht

Old 12-09-2003, 07:42 PM
K30a

Oh my, a cat soap opera!
Now for the happy ending,
Edina comes home, crossing
fingers!
(trailing a tom of dubious breeding
if we're staying with the soap opera
theme...)

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 12-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Susan H. Simko

jammer wrote:

Oh...i'm so sorry. Don't think i don't understand. I ran over my cat a
few weeks ago. 16 yr old darling Mainecoon. It destroyed me. She was
my baby.

Oh Jammer, I am so sorry. Maine Coons have such unique and in your face
personalities. For me, of all my cats that I have lost over the years,
the one Maine Coon I have lost still hurst to this day, almost ten years
later. I have a female currently and know that losing her will be really
rough even though her "name of the day" is often not something one would
call an animal who they purport to adore. *smile*

Cybe R, as everyone else has said, just wait before filling in your
pond. The desire to start over will come back once the pain eases a bit.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Old 12-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Susan H. Simko

Theo van Daele wrote:

She's still gone, but I hope she's just tangled in some love orgy (she was a
bit frisky last week...) and will come back when ... erm... you know

My Maine Coon Chelsea got out (she's indoor only) a couple of years ago.
She was gone for about two weeks - long enough for my heart to crash
- when she miraculously returned all on her own. All hope is not lost.

I can't help feeling it's probably a bit silly to feel miserable about such
things, my rational side says there are much more important "things" in life
(or are there ?), yesterday was 9/11 (yes, even we Europeans can't just
forget those images, well, at least I can't), but on the other hand, maybe
it's good that we haven't forgotten to feel sad like that for a dead fish or
a missing animal. Like when we were kids. It probably means we haven't
gone totally cynical ?

Can't get cynical. The 9/11 disaster really pointed this out to me. My
40th b'day was two days later. Like many others, I was a little worried
about what 40 would mean (highly unusual for me to worry about getting
another year older) but after I thought about how many people would not
be fortunate enough to celebrate another one, how I basically came to
the conclusion that "how dare I be depressed?".

That's perhaps a good thing ? I do struggle with it though.

One must know the bad to recognize the good. Feel pain to know joy.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Old 12-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Susan H. Simko

Theo van Daele wrote:

Obviously, Archibald doesn't really do the job, as much as she is "in love"
with him.

Chelsea, our F Maine Coon is also not spayed. She is strictly indoor
only with three neutered males as companions. She gets lots of
"attention" when she's in heat.

As to why she is non-spayed, I bred her a couple of times when she was
younger. Now, she's at an age that spaying won't have any health
benefits, in fact the anasthesia is more of a risk so the vet recommends
not to do it since she never goes out. I think the vet has other
"secret" reasons as she is an absolute hellion in the vet's office and
has already been asked to leave and not come back by two vets. (I am
*not* kidding.)

2 days later, she manages to "escape" whilst I went out to feed the fish
(hey, on topic or what ) That was 3 days ago....

Give her a week and she'll be back. Sixty some days later, you'll have
kittens.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Old 12-09-2003, 08:42 PM
Lee Brouillet

Theo, My Dear, you DO have a way with the words now, don't you???? GBG! I
hope Edina comes crawling home, all fat, dumb and happy! THEN you take her
to the vet to get spayed! (Honest, they don't know what you did to them!
and then they live long and happy lives.) Keep us advised . . .
By the way, wasn't the "trollop" in the British comedy Absolutely Fabulous
named "Edina"? or am I thinking of something else . . .?
Lee

?

Old 12-09-2003, 09:32 PM
Theo van Daele

Thanks for the answers all, really appreciated

Will do a decent reply tomorrow, lots of food for thought, but off to bed
now, head is falling onto keyboard.

One thing though...

By the way, wasn't the "trollop" in the British comedy Absolutely Fabulous
named "Edina"? or am I thinking of something else . . .?

LOL ! :blush: Erm, that's exactly what she was named after Lee ! It was
either that or "Patsy".

Joanna Lumley is one of my all time favorites, and that series is, well...
absolutely fab :-) Both my wife & I loved the series to bits... I remember
when my dad (bless) said women can't be truly funny. Ho hum... think he was
a slightly wrong there.

http://www.tmaw.co.uk/joannal.html

Her appearance on Ruby Wax was also side-splitting

But the name Patsy sounds a bit stupid when said with a Dutch accent... (our
mothertongue)
So after a long deliberation with SWHOMBO she was named Edina, after
Jennifer Saunders (who is also brilliant BTW) in that show :-) Very well
spotted, amazing !

Theo

PS: sorry for going so much off topic BTW

Old 12-09-2003, 10:14 PM
K30a

Oh, well, let's totally go off topic!!

I was a happy camper when BBCA showed up on
our system. I grew up on British TV and movies whilst being raised in Canada.
AB Fab and Hamish MacBeth and Keeping up Appreances and Are you being Served
and Fawlty Towers and anything Monty Python!!

So we need Edina back and Cyber not to fill in the ponds!

Old 13-09-2003, 12:42 AM
Heather

Hi K30a:

Hope you are felling better and getting adjusted.

Your note brought back a memory and a chuckle. Our cat Puss (gone now) when
she was a kitten, would bring socks from the laundry room and pile them up
in the middle of the living room floor when she was lonely. Someone said
that it's because a human's scent is mostly in the feet so the animals
cuddle up to your dirty socks.

Take care, glad to see your postings again.

Heather

"K30a" wrote in message

Oh, Cybe, I'm so sorry.
And you too, Jammer.
I can't tell you how much the
labrador girls have helped me
get through my health woes.
Rosie, our stress barometer, brings
me socks when the times get rough.
We gauge our stress by the number
of socks she brings us. Her record is
five socks and a dryer sheet.

Old 13-09-2003, 04:42 PM

15.69 and it will never happen again, or never happen to you. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 15-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Susan H. Simko

Theo van Daele wrote:

LOL ! :blush: Erm, that's exactly what she was named after Lee ! It was
either that or "Patsy".

snip

But the name Patsy sounds a bit stupid when said with a Dutch accent... (our
mothertongue) So after a long deliberation with SWHOMBO she was named Edina, after
Jennifer Saunders (who is also brilliant BTW) in that show :-) Very well
spotted, amazing !

Jennifer Saunders is brilliant, I will agree, as not only was she in the
show but she wrote it!

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Old 16-09-2003, 02:05 AM
Tom La Bron

Cybe R. Wizard,

Beings your are considering "NOT" filling in the holes, let me suggest one
thing that has help me out of some situations like yours. There have been
times I have walked off and went to work and come back 11 hours later to
find the water running.

When filling your ponds with a garden hose use a pistol grip and have it set
to spray in the umbrella pattern. The fluid dynamics of the water flowing
through the small hole and spreading out in this form helps force the
chlorine in it gaseous form from the water. If you are in more of a hurry
you can also set it to discharge in a narrow stream. The fluid dynamic
works in both modes. Of course, this only works if you only have Chlorine
in your water and have no Chloramine.

I also add the water in the last pond where the water is directed by the
pump to the wet/dry filter where the water is shot up into the top of the
filter with substantial force, knocking any chlorine that is left out of the
water.

This setup has saved my butt several times over the years. If you are not
in a hurry and water going through the nozzle under a lower pressure it is
even more effective.

HTH

Tom L.L.
===========================
"Cybe R. Wizard" wrote in message
news:20030912032423.706c983d.cyber_wizard@mindspri ng.com...
On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 03:02:50 GMT
"Cybe R. Wizard" wrote:

Having been responsible for more than my share of death I am
considering filling in both ponds and putting in a flower garden.

Cybe

Thanks, everyone, for your commiserations. I still feel like Hell but
am considering not filling in the holes.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.

Look At "Me's" cross-posting and KNOW he is THE Terrorist, Joe Jared Body Snatcher Ponds 2 21-06-2005 02:48 AM
OT First daughter Jim and Phyllis Hurley Ponds 5 19-07-2004 05:09 PM
OT First daughter PlainBill Ponds 2 14-07-2004 03:07 PM
birthmother looking for daughter!!!!!!!! Jan Hillman Lawns 0 14-02-2004 03:07 PM
[IBC] Daughter's visit with her family [Was: [IBC] Atom Bomb and Masaru Yamakis Bonsai] Chris Cochrane Bonsai 0 06-06-2003 09:20 PM