Old 20-09-2003, 12:26 AM
Anne Lurie

Default OT more viruses

Gale,

I tried setting Norton Anti-virus to just delete emails from those on the
"blocked senders list" that I had just created, but I got a popup screen
each time NAV did it, yuck!

Try going through the options at NAV until you come to "delete messages
silently" or something like that.

Well, at least this email barrage has accomplished something -- I'm
finally going to get a bigger hard drive installed, so I can download the
*real* security fix from Microsoft's website; I've tried several times, but
I don't have enough space on my hard drive (probably because I was foolish
enough to install Windows XP on an "older" computer).

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"Gale Pearce" wrote in message
Yup - had 15 last night, right after midnight EST and 48 more at 8am

today -
Norton is catching them all, but I have to sit here and click on

Quarantine
after repair failed...........hmmmm.... - going to see if I can change
settings to either Quarantine with no repair or just plain delete
Gale :~)

Old 20-09-2003, 12:36 AM
KenCo

*muffin* wrote:

something that I found out.
I am getting tons of these, my daughter isn't,, & neither is my 'new' yahoo
address.
"I" am using my address for newsgroups,, my daughter does NOT go on
newsgroups, neither does my yahoo address.

I also read from other newsgroups, that this seems to be the trend,, the
virus stuff is being sent to emails harvested to those on
newsgroups.........( well also kazaa etc)

actually, it grabs your email from the address book of the
"infected user" who happens to be on the newsgroup!

if you clicked on the file, dont get on the internet until
you get it fixed or it will just keep sending them out.

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced

Old 20-09-2003, 12:36 AM
MattR

You're right, but my machine can't get infected so I'm at least not
contributing to the mess.

I looked in my spam filter and I only had 1 with a microsoft subject.
But I had 10 "virus" messages. The problem with being able to control
someone's machine by sending them email has been around for a very long
time on windows and MS still can't seem to figure out how to control it.
So, the next time Bill Gates says "we're giving the customers what they
want" send him your junk email. The virus writers are just taking
advantage of a bad design.

Anyway, best of luck. My mail is working again.

Sam Hopkins wrote:
It's not that you email yourself it's that someone gets infected and starts
emailing everyone and their mother. Hope that you're not on someones email
list.

Sam

"MattR" wrote in message

Nedra wrote:

My email (OE) is clogged with 200+ not as yet downloaded.
I did open one of the SOBs -
got a notice from Norton that they stopped it or something.....
Can't access my email ... I am so angry with myself. computer
is soo slow.

Nedra

I haven't gotten any mail all day. Now I think I know why. Anyway, I
also use linux and this is one case where having a minority os is a good
deal

Matt

Old 20-09-2003, 05:22 AM
Gale Pearce

Looked for something like that a while ago - no luck - maybe I'll go look
again - I just noticed a line on the NAV screen that says "We Recommend you
let us quarantine viruses automatically"

Try going through the options at NAV until you come to "delete messages
silently" or something like that.

What is the *real* security fix
Gale :~)

Old 20-09-2003, 05:44 AM
Gale Pearce

Found it - under options, email - 2 of the options allow you to get rid of
them without doing anything - one is Silently Quarantine automatically if
repair fails - the other is Silently Delete if repair is unsuccessful -
that way you don't have to sit there as all the garbage gets downloaded
Gale :~)

Old 20-09-2003, 01:22 PM
pixi

I am getting dozens of them. Sometimes 30-40 a day. My server catches most
of them but not all. I just delete them.

I wrote Microsoft yesterday informing them of this but who knows if they
answered since I don't open their alleged e-mails.

Pixi
"KenCo" wrote in message

anyone else getting emailed (bogus) updates from Microsoft?
dont even think about using them, there all viruses.

Microsoft never email updates....

Old 20-09-2003, 10:03 PM
volts500

"*muffin*" wrote in message
something that I found out.
I am getting tons of these, my daughter isn't,, & neither is my 'new'

yahoo
address.
"I" am using my address for newsgroups,, my daughter does NOT go on
newsgroups, neither does my yahoo address.

I also read from other newsgroups, that this seems to be the trend,, the
virus stuff is being sent to emails harvested to those on
newsgroups.........( well also kazaa etc)

That's why it's best to create an addy that is used for reading newsgroups
_only_........when something like this happens all one needs to do is create
a message rule: "for all messages","delete it from server" until the thing
blows over.

Old 21-09-2003, 12:39 AM
Anne Lurie

"Gale Pearce" wrote in message

What is the *real* security fix
Gale :~)

The *real* security fix is what I can get when I go to Microsoft's real
website -- there is actually a "patch" for Windows XP, or rather there are
a lot of patches for Windows XP, one of which supposedly handles problems
that the SWEN worm is exploiting. Unfortunately, every time I try
downloading the patch & installing it, I get an error message telling me
that I need more space on my hard drive (only 4 gig, which seemed "huge"
when I bought it, but that was pre-WinXP).

The big difference is that MS does not send out emails about it, but little
popups show up in a corner of the screen saying that updates are available.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 21-09-2003, 01:03 AM
dkat

Wow, I'm surprised you can run XP on a machine with just 4 Gig.... I really
recommend that you get a new hard drive even if it is just 20Gig (watch for
them on sale - they are about $1/Gig). That or go back to a smaller OS.
You will never function properly with what you are doing and you will be
having serious virus problems now or down the line if you cannot apply the
patches. If you can get a USB jumpdrive, (expensive right now but so very
cute and useful) then you can put your personal data on it and transfer it
to your new harddrive once you are up and running. You can also keep your
current drive as a backup drive (I'm talking outloud here... not trying to
direct or be bossy).

It really is critical that you do the patches with Windows. The msblaster
virus infects a machine that is simply connected to the internet. It does
not come through your email and it does not have to be opened. DKat

Old 22-09-2003, 06:22 PM
D Kat

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message news:irpbb.234

Is that one of those cute little keychain thingy's?

I think they sell them as keychains.... I find they are really useful if you
have a lap top and a PC or just move data from home to work and a floppy is
too small.

this is what I have.
http://overture1-cnet.com.com/4014-3...by=50&sort=asc

What are roadrunners?

I see you are well ahead of me on the game. Congratulations on the new hard
drive. DK

Believe me, a bunch of us RoadRunner users were discussing that when

Blaster
appeared!

Old 23-09-2003, 03:02 PM
johnrutz

MattR wrote:

Nedra wrote:

My email (OE) is clogged with 200+ not as yet downloaded.
I did open one of the SOBs -
got a notice from Norton that they stopped it or something.....
Can't access my email ... I am so angry with myself. computer
is soo slow.

Nedra

I haven't gotten any mail all day. Now I think I know why. Anyway, I
also use linux and this is one case where having a minority os is a good
deal

Matt

-- me too not only linux but mail is stopped in two different places
in my ISP so only the people i specificaly authorize or that take time
to confirm they sent the message get thru to me

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

i dont get older i get odder
(note if you email me you will be asked to confirm email
see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

what happens to animal viruses that get inside of plants Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 1 09-06-2004 03:23 PM
No more viruses pixi Ponds 25 28-09-2003 05:09 AM
OT changing settings (was more viruses) LeeAnne Ponds 2 24-09-2003 09:02 PM
Fried Norton's AntiVirus - any good ideas? ( OT more viruses) Nedra Ponds 11 22-09-2003 12:55 AM
Rasberry Viruses [email protected] United Kingdom 1 18-03-2003 07:56 PM