Old 21-09-2003, 05:02 PM
John Hines

Default OT - possibly avoiding this BS in the future

KenCo wrote:

its also rumored that the major power outage
is a result of the same virus, I think the power
companies know a tad more than any of us.
they will never publicly admit what caused it ......

Contributed to the outage, due to the load it placed
on the networks. One of many little things that built up
to make the big event happen.
Old 21-09-2003, 09:05 PM
joe

dkat wrote:

Nonsense. You can't legislate against this.

Well of course you can.

What ever happened to personal
responsibility. It is not at all difficult to know enough to keep yourself
from becoming infected.

I'm trying to see why the responsibility of keeping a hacker out of my
computer rests with me. Why do I have to spend my hard earned money to buy
firewalls and anti-virus software?

What it sounds like you are saying is that if someone goes down your street
painting graffiti all over your house YOU should have built a higher fence.

The fact of the matter is that this kind of crap costs everyone an ever
increasing amount of money.

Joe

Old 21-09-2003, 09:32 PM
Tom La Bron

Come on John,

That is like saying that it is GM's or Ford's fault because you had an
accident in their car.

Tom L.L.
"John Hines" wrote in message
"Tom La Bron" wrote:

MS products are not the problems, it is the Jerkwad-low-lifes who find it
easier to destroy that to create. Eudora, Agent and Mozilla, and, to

some
extent Netscape, are used by so few that it isn't worth their "precious"
time to try and bother these platforms.

I prefer to use independent programs, rather than an all-in-one program,
this certainly minimizes the risk overall.

I think after these last couple of stints viruses that a lot of people

are
ready to enact the death penalty for this kind of tampering. Well, the
death penalty might be a little extreme, but that should be put in a 6X6
cell with nothing but a mattress and a very high window in the cell as

the
only outside stimulus for at least 15 years, and screw rehabilitation, no
matter what their age.

Again, why not hold MS to blame? They are the ones claiming to be
trustworthy. With any other product, they would be liable.

Old 22-09-2003, 12:42 AM
Bob in PA

While reading this, I started to wonder if OE has an email filtering device.
I can't seem to find it if it does. Can someone point me in the direction?

Thanks,

Bob

--

Check out my pond webpage:
Http://trains99.tripod.com

Click on the My Pond Link under Places to Go

Old 22-09-2003, 12:55 AM
cat daddy

"Bob in PA" wrote in message
While reading this, I started to wonder if OE has an email filtering

device.
I can't seem to find it if it does. Can someone point me in the

direction?

Yes. Click Tools/Message Rules/ Mail tab/ New button.

The following was also recently posted by MS MVP Ron Martell:

"Here is my OE message rule.

It has been 100% effective for the past 2 days:

Where the message body contains 'This is the qmail program'
or 'Undelivered message to'
or 'I'm sorry to have to inform you that I wasn't able to deliver your
message'
or 'I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message'
or 'Undeliverable mail to'
or 'all known security vulnerabilities'
or 'Undelivered mail to' or 'Undeliverable message to'
or 'I'm sorry I wasn't able to deliver your message'
or 'Undeliverable to'
or 'I'm afraid the message returned below'
or 'Undelivered to'
or 'An e-mail delivered to you contained a virus'
Delete it
and Stop processing more rules

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Old 22-09-2003, 12:55 AM
dkat

Fine... let me rephrase.... You can write laws against or for anything. It
won't do a bloody thing to stop it. Kids will be kids period. The part of
their brain that is able to understand the consequences of their actions
just isn't there yet especially in the testosterone driven male (us females
I would like to claim are more advanced but the testosterone just makes the
male more aggressive about being stupid). The part of the brain that makes
us hesitate and think does not develop until about the mid twenties. It is
the nature of the beast I assume so that humans are able to do all the
reckless things that must be done when we are young (challenging the bigger
male who is going to beat the #$^% out of you on the wild and crazy chance
that you may get lucky and get his territory for example). People must take
responsibility for themselves and learn how to maintain their machines and
to do preventative actions. I'm a flaming liberal but I'm also for having
as few laws and regulations as possible.
"KenCo" wrote in message
its already been done but its aimed at
banks/ecomm. etc that get hit, then the sentances
are stiff. it needs to be 0 tolerance for anyone hit.

dkat wrote:

Nonsense. You can't legislate against this.

What ever happened to personal
responsibility. It is not at all difficult to know enough to keep

yourself
from becoming infected. DKat

bullcrap, the virus last month hit 150,000+
computers the 1st hr., no antivirus software
worked because of how it was written. they
updated AV files in 4-5 hrs. but by then
2,000,000+ were infected. even computers w/
firewalls and antivirus running at the same
time got hit.

this is the virus info source, blaster info
http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?date=2003-08-14

its also rumored that the major power outage
is a result of the same virus, I think the power
companies know a tad more than any of us.
they will never publicly admit what caused it ......

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-05565

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced

Old 23-09-2003, 12:04 PM
pixi

So pass along the easy way!!

"dkat" wrote in message
. net...
Nonsense. You can't legislate against this. What ever happened to

personal
responsibility. It is not at all difficult to know enough to keep

yourself
from becoming infected. DKat

"KenCo" wrote in message
Tom La Bron wrote:

Golly what a mess. Sorry to all, if my problem was part of the whole
problem.

Tom L.L.

its nobodys fault as the msg. did look real!
what everyone should do is write their reps.
and get legislation enacted w/ stiff mandatory
sentences for virus writers.

as it stands the laws only are used to cover
banks and financial types if there hit but
im sure they got hit this round!

Old 01-10-2003, 05:02 PM
D Kat

The easy way is to have your OS and your Virus software set to do automatic
upgrades.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/ Gives instructions on how to
secure your machine if you are running what is considered a current OS (XP,
2K, ME).

Microsoft Windows NT Workstation, Windows 98, and Windows 95 you must
upgrade (Open IE, Tools, Windows Update and when that opens if you haven't
already installed it there should be an app there that does auto updates).

I don't know about any virus software except for Norton. On it you open the
application (right click on the sheild) and on the FILE menu you will see
"Schedule Updates" I have mine set to daily updates. Norton updates its
site every Wednesday so you can set it for once a week late Wednesday or
Early Thursday.

"pixi" wrote in message
So pass along the easy way!!