Old 01-01-2004, 06:34 PM
Janet

Default OT ~ Mad Moo Cow in SE WA

"They" have the theory that cattle under 30 months old are "clean" and do
not pose a risk. Personally I think their theory is faulty for a couple of
reasons. First as Ingrid just said, once they are infected they can spread
the disease without showing symptoms. One study I read recently likened the
onset of symptoms caused by BSE to the onset of Alzheimers. Not really
noticeable for some time.It's not a disease that extreme symptoms show up
quickly after infection. Secondly they are counting on the fact that the
feed ban is being followed. It's not....
Personally I think it's nothing more than a p.r. stunt... The vast
majority of the cattle that end up on our tables are under 30 months old,
most more like 16-18 months old.
Janet

wrote in message
it simply takes time for them to develop symptoms. yes, it is my

understanding that
once they been infected they can spread the disease even if they dont have

symptoms.
Ingrid

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
Something new in the paper today, something about young cows not

developing
MCD? A little confusing, in that they make it sound like it's not a

problem
till they develop it? I'm thinking, "if they've been infected, they're
infected, whether they live long enough to show symptoms" or are prions
different than someone with a cold or flu who is spreading germs before
they are even sick? ~ jan

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 02-01-2004, 04:12 PM

well I meant spread it if the cow is butchered and eaten. not spread it like a cold.
at least that is current understanding. this CWD of deer doesnt seem to have the
same epidemiology. I dont understand how it is being spread from live animal to live
animal.
their thinking is once the ban went into effect all new cattle are clean. but only
if they havent gotten into feed from cross over feeding.
Ingrid

"Janet" wrote:

"They" have the theory that cattle under 30 months old are "clean" and do
not pose a risk. Personally I think their theory is faulty for a couple of
reasons. First as Ingrid just said, once they are infected they can spread
the disease without showing symptoms. One study I read recently likened the
onset of symptoms caused by BSE to the onset of Alzheimers. Not really
noticeable for some time.It's not a disease that extreme symptoms show up
quickly after infection. Secondly they are counting on the fact that the
feed ban is being followed. It's not....
Personally I think it's nothing more than a p.r. stunt... The vast
majority of the cattle that end up on our tables are under 30 months old,
most more like 16-18 months old.
Janet

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List