Old 21-01-2004, 10:42 PM
LynyrdSky

Default lighthouse pictures T_T_DSCF0477.JPG (1/1)

Don't worry I won't bother visiting your precious newsgroup again. If this is
the greeting you give people here who are proud of their work and creations it
must be a generally hard place to get help when pictures are not allowed to help
others view what needs to be. In other words clod you are the rude one in
welcoming others new to the group like you did. A nice "Welcome to the group,
but please do not post pictures here, but it is a nice woodcraft" would have
been a much nicer way to address a newbie instead of acting like the internet
police for the whole group in general, I will be back to see the replies to this
but as far as future postings offering help etc... will be forgotten and you can
answer all their questions as I am sure you are the pond WIZZARD and know all
see all right?. Seems to me you are an egocentric know it all who only can tell
people what to do on the net.

In article 20040121083156.6f548510.Cybe_R_Wizard@WizardsTowe r, Cybe R. Wizard
says...

On 21 Jan 2004 12:14:17 GMT
(LynyrdSky) wrote:

begin 644 T_T_DSCF0477.JPG

snip
The posting of binaries on text-only groups is frowned upon, is
prohibited by most ISPs, and is just plain rude.

Please stop doing it.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.

Old 22-01-2004, 12:38 AM
RichToyBox

You started off right by posting a link to your web site. For those
interested, they will visit the site. For those with slow dial up
connections, the binary files cause them fits. I don't believe that Cybe R.
Wizard meant to be rude. Most of us have web sites and people visit them
when they have problems, want design ideas, or the like. We have had people
post their pictures to a binaries site when they didn't have a web site of
their own, so that we could view their concerns.

Welcome to the news group, and I do think the woodwork is nice, but just add
your web site to your signature and everyone will be more pleased.
--
RichToyBox

Old 22-01-2004, 06:30 PM
Gail Futoran

"LynyrdSky" wrote in message
[...]

Would you visit a new country and assume the cultural rules
of your home nation apply, and act accordingly? The
Internet is much like a different country where we all have
to learn to get along. Learning the rules and procedures
really isn't all that hard, since there are links everywhere
to information.

Posting a bunch of large inage files (binaries) to a
**text-only (non-binaries) newsgroup** when many of us still
have relatively slow dial-ups is rude at best. The poster
who "chastized" you did so using very mild phrases. You
over-reacted to him and needlessly insulted many people here
who did not respond at all to your post.

Here are some links if you have any interest in learning
about this "new country" you are visiting:
http://www.woodgate.org/FAQs/netiquette.html
http://www.newsreaders.com/guide/netiquette.html

Ignoring basic netiquette can result in being flamed. You
haven't experienced that here yet.

Gail

Old 23-01-2004, 12:32 PM
LynyrdSky

Visiting a God Damn country is way diff that posting a god damn picture here on
the group. Do you honestly expect me to believe that a picture of 100k cosumes
so much computer time? Give me a f'n break. If you did not want to see it then
don't open the thread in the first place. You have the right not to click on
the attachment just as you have the right not to chose to watch a violent movie
on the tube. It bugs the shit out of me in our society today that people have
to be politically correct correct everywhere they turn as to not, heaven forbid,
offend anyone. Following your slow connection theory must mean you never view a
website up at all, because heaven forbid they use pictures.

How about kill filters? Have you heard of these to filter out all attachments?
Large inage files? What are you on dope, or a 14.4 modem? Don't give me the
crap about using up space, I use newguy and they have posts in this group that
date back to sept 25. As far as posting a pic on another group I hope it is a
correct group. As far as flaming me I am scared

Yes it is my fault that I posted the pictures here without seeking knowledge
about the group first but are there specific rules written for this group and
which rules do I follow, Ah the general rule of netiquette, right up there on
the shelf next to the general rule of thumb book. Look around at the groups
that are downloading illegal materials, how many gigabytes of copyrighted
material are moved in these groups day after day? You speak to me about rules
and laws when, when millions of dollars are stolen from hard working people
every day here on the same system you support and try to follow rules. Now my
ISP will ban me from the internet for uploading a few pictures, MINE, when the
whole system of theirs is use to hop illegal copies thru. Sounds like a weak
case at best. At worst they would never ban me for that maybe issue a warning
telling me not to abuse the group again.

As far as flames go, flame away.

Old 23-01-2004, 02:07 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

On 23 Jan 2004 03:55:23 -0800
LynyrdSky wrote:

Visiting a God Damn country is way diff that posting a god damn
picture here on the group. Do you honestly expect me to believe that
a picture of 100k cosumes so much computer time? Give me a f'n break.

Usenet /is/ a new country, one populated by people you will most likely
never see, yet people none the less. It pays to learn the rules. A
whole lot of folks are on Usenet instead of the WWW because of
bandwidth restrictions, either due to their own ISPs or the speed of
their modems. Do not be so America-centric, most of the world does not
have our advantages in technology and are still using old 486s and
Pentiums on 4800-9600 modems. Lots of people pay by the /minute/ they
are online. I use a 56K modem, but my ISP doesn't devote many resources
to Usenet. Therefore these groups download /very/ slowly. The
connection does not depend solely upon the speed on my and your modems,
but upon the server speed and activity. It took about three minutes to
DL your /first/ picture, the only one I did DL. I wonder what that
would have cost me were I in Indonesia or Bosnia?

(BTW, cursing does /not/ help your case.)

If you did not want to see it then
don't open the thread in the first place. You have the right not to
click on the attachment just as you have the right not to chose to
watch a violent movie on the tube. It bugs the shit out of me in our
society today that people have to be politically correct correct
everywhere they turn as to not, heaven forbid, offend anyone.
Following your slow connection theory must mean you never view a
website up at all, because heaven forbid they use pictures.

There's a big difference between doing your 'own thing' and crapping in
someone's living room. Which do you think you did? Understand that,
for some here, rec.ponds is the only outlet they have for social
contact, their living room, if you will. Understand, also, that
rec.ponds is a somewhat special case because there are some pretty
tech /NON/-savvy folks here who's interests are in ponds, not mail
clients, and who wouldn't know a Bozo file if it fell into their water.
We love them anyway.

How about kill filters? Have you heard of these to filter out all
attachments? Large inage files? What are you on dope, or a 14.4 modem?
Don't give me the
crap about using up space, I use newguy and they have posts in this
group that date back to sept 25. As far as posting a pic on another
group I hope it is a correct group. As far as flaming me I am scared

Are you saying we should have added you to our Bozo files when we first
saw your name in the lists? Possibly a solution, yes, but a drastic one
that most here will never do since they are nice people and tend to put
up with bad behavior. Speaking of Newsguy, added down below is a little
snipping from Newsguy's service policy. Peruse it and you will see that
what I originally said is true, they frown upon the posting of binaries
in a text-only group and have the right to cancel your account.
OTOH, it's easy to find groups where binaries are acceptable. Try any
of the groups in the alt.binaries.* hierarchy.

Yes it is my fault that I posted the pictures here without seeking
knowledge about the group first but are there specific rules written
for this group and which rules do I follow, Ah the general rule of
netiquette, right up there on the shelf next to the general rule of
thumb book. Look around at the groups that are downloading illegal
materials, how many gigabytes of copyrighted material are moved in
these groups day after day? You speak to me about rules and laws
when, when millions of dollars are stolen from hard working people
every day here on the same system you support and try to follow rules.

Well, I guess that, since /some/ people rape and kill, even though it's
against the rules, you should be able to do so, too, without anyone
bothering your placid state of mind about it? Come on.

Now my
ISP will ban me from the internet for uploading a few pictures, MINE,
when the whole system of theirs is use to hop illegal copies thru.
Sounds like a weak case at best. At worst they would never ban me for
that maybe issue a warning telling me not to abuse the group again.

As far as flames go, flame away.

I don't think you have been flamed, merely advised as to the
undesirability of doing as you had already done. You seemed to be
pretty annoyed with me, yet all I did was to give you a couple of facts.
I think a mature, well-adjusted response would have been, "OK, I didn't
know, and surely don't want to alienate any potential customers, so
won't you please visit my website where I have several pictures
available of my product (which /is/ on topic, BTW).

OTOH, your responding with vituperation and cursing has very likely
limited your ability to make sales in here. Too bad, as you do have
decent products.

Quote from Newsguy.com's service policy:
15. Spam and Message Cancellations:

Spam, defined as commercial messages posted to non-commercial news
groups, off topic posts to a newsgroup, or large scale redundant posts,
are not permitted on the service. This may also encompass situations
where binary content is being misposted to non-binary newsgroups, or
where multimedia files are being posted to non-multimedia newsgroups.
Since there are existing newsgroups that cater to specific binary and
multimedia content, there is no reason to mispost that content into
inappropriate forums. Misposting of this nature is an inconvenience to
Usenet users and it creates an expiration and storage problem for the
newsgroups impacted by the off-topic postings. We will do our best to
screen out these types of messages arriving from feed sources, from our
own servers and from outbound feeds. Users posting spam messages will be
cautioned the first time, then subscription terminated or placed on
permanent post restriction, on the second occurrence.

Cybe R. Wizard
Old 23-01-2004, 02:45 PM
groovy

Welcome to the group. Please don't post binaries here or swear (cuss).
Nice woodcraft, does it light up and go round? Does it scare off the
cats and raccoons?

Not that I have ever seen a raccoon in the UK, are they the ones that are
8ft tall with the fangs and claws and stuff or am I getting confused with
wombats. grin

Old 23-01-2004, 07:32 PM
Offbreed

LynyrdSky wrote:

Visiting a

Aside from bandwidth considerations, very well covered elsewhere,
binaries, html, etc can be used to hide malware. Binaries have their
own ng's so people who wish to take part in risky behavior can do so.

Your reception elsewhere would make the post I am responding to look
polite.

Old 24-01-2004, 07:06 PM

yer right... plonk. INgrid

LynyrdSky wrote:
How about kill filters?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 26-01-2004, 04:12 AM
Gail Futoran

"LynyrdSky" wrote in message
Visiting a God Damn country is way diff that posting a god

damn picture here on
the group. Do you honestly expect me to believe that a

picture of 100k cosumes
so much computer time? Give me a f'n break. If you did

not want to see it then
don't open the thread in the first place. You have the

right not to click on
the attachment just as you have the right not to chose to

watch a violent movie
on the tube. It bugs the shit out of me in our society

today that people have
to be politically correct correct everywhere they turn as

to not, heaven forbid,
offend anyone. Following your slow connection theory must

mean you never view a
website up at all, because heaven forbid they use

pictures.

How about kill filters?

[snip]

Good suggestion. You are now killfiled.