Old 08-02-2004, 07:19 PM

Default FS misc.

I am lucky that way, neither my mother or her mother bought into the "women are weak,
stupid, etc." mythology perpetrated by the patriarchy. Maybe cause they came from
strong sound peasant stock. So by the time I came along and was part of the 60's
battle to obtain more equality for women my mother and grandmother were right behind
me encouraging me and not jealous of all the opportunities that were open to me and
not them. Altho my mother was able to finish her masters and become a social worker,
a not completely menial career even tho it was one of the few open to women. But I
really think the greatest advantage I had was their tolerance of others not like
them. As a result I didnt grow up hating "groups" of people who looked, thought or
felt differently from me. Rather, those people became a source that saw the world
thru different eyes and I found that when I got to share that vision, my life was
enriched.
I am proud that I am third generation feminist. We are strong, useful human beings
who stand up for ourselves, for all humanity and can now contribute to society in the
fullest measure according to our abilities and unlimited by the bonds of slavery,
religion, or patriarchy that our foremothers suffered under for millennium. I am so
happy I met and married my soul mate, a second generation feminist and similarly
unfettered by the bonds of being the "master" so he too can pursue all the rich
offerings and interests of life without being fettered by "roles". Our choice of
each other was not out of need, neither economic nor a need to complete an
incomplete, rather two mature and complete individuals who relished and rejoiced in
our differences. As my DH says, life is never boring. Needless to say, Yentl is
one of my favorite movies. Ingrid

"Nedra" wrote:
I was afraid it had something to do with Dept. of Children.
Damned ole fools! I hate most women (feminists)
and this is why.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 10-02-2004, 05:05 PM

what in the world is there to dislike about an advocate of the women's rights
movement who's whole purpose is to ensure equal rights for women?
That is like saying you "hate" civil rights cause there are a few whackos out there.
You hate civil rights movement too?
Ingrid

"Nedra" wrote:

Oh Good Grief, Ingrid!! I don't "hate" in the way you mean
"hate".... let's just say that I dislike the feminist movement.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 10-02-2004, 07:10 PM
BenignVanilla

wrote in message
what in the world is there to dislike about an advocate of the women's

rights
movement who's whole purpose is to ensure equal rights for women?
That is like saying you "hate" civil rights cause there are a few whackos

out there.
You hate civil rights movement too?

snip

How funny...or irionic I guess. We were just discussing equal rights for
women at lunch. An associate and I were argueing that if women are allowed
to play on the Men's PGA tour, that men should be allowed on the LPGA. You
can imagine the discussion that ensued. And just to be clear, we were
argueing FOR women's rights, and equality, not against.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 10-02-2004, 07:16 PM
BTC/TAK on ACK

Pardon me for "butting in", but...

I've been hearing for decades sentiments like " I believe in civil rights,
but dislike the feminist movement".

I've come to believe [especially when coming from a woman] it has little to
do with not wanting equal rights, pay, etc. for women, and less to do with
the "movement" than with the word "feminist".

I don't "get" the distinction... but then there are soooo many things I
don't get". Is it the goals, Nedra, or the rhetoric that you dislike?

This "rhetoric" thing is coming up a lot at the moment, as you might
imagine, in my home state, Massachusetts. "Gay marriage" seems to be a
"hot-button" for some folks who, otherwise, are believers in human rights.
I've come to believe it's largely a semantic argument. Personally I think "a
legal union with the same rights and responsibilities as marriage" when I
hear it discussed, and use that terminology when I discuss it... it seems to
"push peoples' buttons" less, and people seem more open to level-headed
discussions.

Occasionally, by using different terms, I've discovered someone I've
thought a "world-class jerk" really isn't... not always the case, of course.

Mila

"Nedra" wrote:

Oh Good Grief, Ingrid!! I don't "hate" in the way you mean
"hate".... let's just say that I dislike the feminist movement.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List