Old 06-03-2004, 02:32 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default Extending Water to Pond

Nuclear pond?

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"Ka30P" wrote in message
BV ~ Oh, I don't know nothing about those pesky electrons and H20 ;-)
BUT....
someone who was in the insurance
industry, once posted here about this
problem. In that if you have uninspected
work like this on your property, and you have
a fire, that your insurance can opt not to
cover your damage. Even if it had nothing to
do with the fire.

Be that as it may, my DH is an electrical engineer for a nuclear power

plant.
When it came time to put in our power to our pond he hired an electrician.

His
reasoning was that the fellow knew housing codes inside and out. We also

had it
inspected by our city so we were doubly sure we were up to code.
Being in nuclear power he always has to make sure all the bases are firmly
covered so as to not bring down the wrath of the NRC upon his head.
Same applies to our family and household.

I know lots and lots of folks have extension cords all over the place and

do
their own electrical work.
The insurance issue and the legality of it all puts me on the side of

being
extra careful and I'm glad we did it the way we did.

kathy :-)

Old 06-03-2004, 02:51 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Grey PVC for electric and white for water. Works great.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

"Ka30P" wrote in message
BV wrote Can I bury it in the same trench that I am using for an
electrical conduit?

ak! I had an immediate mental picture of somebody digging in the

backyard
and
hitting both lines at once. Looked like Wiley Coyote on one of his

better
days...
You might always know that the lines run together but somebody else

might
not.
And if you have boys like I have boys... digging illicit holes is right

up
there as mischief just waiting to happen.

Really? Running two conduits...one full of water, and one containing two
romex cables sounds bad? I thought that sounded great? I mean really...If
someone pounds a shovel through a piece of PVC, and thru both wires...will

little water really make a difference? Especially if these circuits have
GFI's?

BV.

Old 06-03-2004, 03:41 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Mike,

Don't know how big your pond is, but I would recommend running a larger line
and using something like a toilet valve (Floating cylinder on post) as an
auto level device. Ours sticks out of a tupperware contained filled with
rocks. The koi haven't bothered it and we never worry about topping up the
pond. It works fine on the regular household PVC, 1/2". I would be
skittish, however, of running water and that kind of elec. in the same pipe.
The pvc will do fine on its own underground. Ours runs under our deck, up
against the beams.

Good luck.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"Mike Patterson" wrote in message
On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 12:05:55 -0500, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

Right now, when I want to fill the pond, I drag a hose out from the

house.
If I wanted to put a spigot out back by the pond, what would be the best
material to use? Can I bury it in the same trench that I am using for an
electrical conduit?

I buried a 1.5" flexible (theoretically!) pipe from the house to the
pond and ran 1/2" electrical conduit in the same trench under it.

Haven't gotten around to it yet, but I plan to run 1/4" tubing (like
that used for refrigerator icemakers) inside the 1.5" line for water.
Since flow volume isn't a big deal for topping up, I think this will
be OK. Still have lots of space to run other low-current wiring & such
through the 1.5" pipe if I want to.

My thought was that since I went to the trouble to dig a trench, I
might as well set it up so I wouldn't be likely to need to dig it
again.

Just a thought.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

Old 06-03-2004, 09:40 PM
Mike Patterson

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 07:10:43 -0600, "Phyllis and Jim Hurley"
wrote:

Mike,

Don't know how big your pond is, but I would recommend running a larger line
and using something like a toilet valve (Floating cylinder on post) as an
auto level device. Ours sticks out of a tupperware contained filled with
rocks. The koi haven't bothered it and we never worry about topping up the
pond. It works fine on the regular household PVC, 1/2". I would be
skittish, however, of running water and that kind of elec. in the same pipe.
The pvc will do fine on its own underground. Ours runs under our deck, up
against the beams.

Good luck.

Jim

Thanks for the input.

I may go with 1/2" line instead of 1/4".

Any electrical that ran through the outer pipe would be low voltage
signal wires (Cat 5E plenum rated most likely.) Might run a wireless
access point out there, as my wireless signals just barely reach out
there right now with a wireless router in the house..

Old 06-03-2004, 11:43 PM
Ka30P

Jim wrote Nuclear pond?

Yep, you know they stick those rods
in the beautiful blue water... that's
where the three headed frogs come
from!

kathy :-)
Old 07-03-2004, 01:37 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Computing by the pond is such a blast! I am a professor. that gives me an
excuse to 'study' by the pond. Great sport!