Old 03-03-2004, 06:15 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Extending Water to Pond

Right now, when I want to fill the pond, I drag a hose out from the house.
If I wanted to put a spigot out back by the pond, what would be the best
material to use? Can I bury it in the same trench that I am using for an
electrical conduit?

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 03-03-2004, 06:21 PM
BenignVanilla

"Ka30P" wrote in message
BV wrote Can I bury it in the same trench that I am using for an
electrical conduit?

ak! I had an immediate mental picture of somebody digging in the backyard

and
hitting both lines at once. Looked like Wiley Coyote on one of his better
days...
You might always know that the lines run together but somebody else might

not.
And if you have boys like I have boys... digging illicit holes is right up
there as mischief just waiting to happen.

Really? Running two conduits...one full of water, and one containing two
romex cables sounds bad? I thought that sounded great? I mean really...If
someone pounds a shovel through a piece of PVC, and thru both wires...will a
little water really make a difference? Especially if these circuits have
GFI's?

BV.

Old 03-03-2004, 06:25 PM
PlainBill

I flinch at the thought of water and electric lines in the same
trench. It would be a better idea to use two trenches - less chance
of disturbing one when digging up the other.

As far as the material - Schedule 40 PVC would be adequate, I doubt if
Schedule 80 would be worth the additional expense. I'd drive a 1/2"
rebar (or wooden post) at least three feet into the ground to provide
support for the spigot.

The previous owner of my place did this, but managed to botch the job.
He ran water lines to both ponds (and to various other points around
the yard). The cheap $%@^#$@% used Schedule 20, so I frequently am
pulling out sections to repair a leak. He put spigots positioned to
discharge directly into the pond, as well as automatic fill valves.
The latter was less successful for the koi pond. The koi liked to
play with it until the pond overflowed, so he pulled it out. The
goldfish in the other pond aren't as playful, so it wasn't a problem.

PlainBill

Old 03-03-2004, 07:13 PM
Hank

There is another no no. I don't believe you are supposed to run
romex through conduit. For safety sake you really should follow
national electrical codes.
As for the water. If you plan to drain or blow it out for the
winter, I would use 3/4" sprinkler tubing. It comes in 50' and 100'
rolls and is very cheap and easy to work with. (barbed fittings)

Old 03-03-2004, 07:19 PM
BenignVanilla

"Hank" wrote in message
There is another no no. I don't believe you are supposed to run
romex through conduit. For safety sake you really should follow
national electrical codes.
As for the water. If you plan to drain or blow it out for the
winter, I would use 3/4" sprinkler tubing. It comes in 50' and 100'
rolls and is very cheap and easy to work with. (barbed fittings)

snip

Sorry, my bad...I was using Romex like most of use the word Band Aid. I just
meant wire (pronounced Whar). I'll be sure to talk to my 'lectrician friend
before I do any of this.

BV.

Old 03-03-2004, 07:26 PM
Janet

--

"Ka30P" wrote in message
[...]

BV call your local city hall or building inspector. Here building codes are
pretty strict when it comes to running both hydro and water outdoors. Hydro
lines must either be outside approved cable (double the price of regular
cable) or be encased in conduit at least 18 inches below the ground. It can
be run above ground is securely attached to permanent structures such as a
fence but still must be in conduit. Water lines they want a minimum of 24
inches below ground and not within 4 feet of hydro lines. It needs to be
well below the frost line for obvious reasons. I think it's also pretty
obvious why you can't run both hydro and water lines in the same trench...
Janet in Niagara Falls who's fish all survived and are up swimming
around! )

Old 03-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Mike Patterson

wrote:

Right now, when I want to fill the pond, I drag a hose out from the house.
If I wanted to put a spigot out back by the pond, what would be the best
material to use? Can I bury it in the same trench that I am using for an
electrical conduit?

I buried a 1.5" flexible (theoretically!) pipe from the house to the
pond and ran 1/2" electrical conduit in the same trench under it.

Haven't gotten around to it yet, but I plan to run 1/4" tubing (like
that used for refrigerator icemakers) inside the 1.5" line for water.
Since flow volume isn't a big deal for topping up, I think this will
be OK. Still have lots of space to run other low-current wiring & such
through the 1.5" pipe if I want to.

My thought was that since I went to the trouble to dig a trench, I
might as well set it up so I wouldn't be likely to need to dig it
again.

Just a thought.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

Old 03-03-2004, 08:06 PM
Bryan

"Ka30P" wrote in message
[...]

here's a thought. save $ on pvc, run the electrical inside the waterline!
:-)

But honestly, if the trench is deep/wide enough, why not run in same hole?
But as others have said, check with local code/requirements would be a good
idea also.

Bryan

(legal notice for those who spill McDonalds hot coffee on themselves, and
sue M, I'm just kidding!)

BV.